I'm working on my portfolio and need to develop a philosophy of teaching statement...

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by frodolass, Jun 3, 2007.

1. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 3, 2007

...I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to use Florida's Accomplished Practices as a sort of guideline or outline for my statement. There are twelve accomplished practices:

Assessment
    Communications
    Continuous Improvement
    Critical Thinking
    Diversity
    Ethics
    Human Development and Learning
    Knowledge of Subject Matter
    Learning Environments
    Planning
    Role of the Teacher
    Technology

I thought it might be interesting to address each of these practices in my statement. That might make it really long though. Suggestions?

3. weno88

weno88 Companion

Jun 4, 2007

I think it would be a little too long if you used all of them, but you could select the ones you feel are most important (I'd mention the role of a teacher.) I googled my "spanish philosophy of ed" and found several good examples before I wrote mine.

4. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jun 4, 2007

When I crafted my philosophy of education, I focused on the philosophical approaches. Personally, I am a social reconstructivist, first and foremost (other examples being progressivism, constructivism, essentialism, behaviorism, etc.). Google any of these to find more information or other lists.

Since I started with my philosophical viewpoint of education, I fit brief statements about assessment, diversity, behavior management and other aspects into my philosophy.

I would suggest keeping your philosophy to two pages or less, double-spaced.

To begin, maybe just jot down some ideas about education--or each of the aspects you listed. From there, see what sections could be combined into same paragraphs. Since I structed mine around social reconstructivism and social justice, that gave me a framework in which to discuss each aspect of education (if only briefly).

For my portfolio, my professors also had us write a Philosophy of Assessment, of Special Education, and of Classroom Management, so we could expound on ideas in each separate philosophy, and just mention it in our focal Philosophy of Education.

Hope this helps! Good luck, and continue posting your ideas! Although, as weno99 suggested, you could google samples, if you wanted to see mine, just PM me!

5. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 4, 2007

weno88 - Good point about the length, that was one of my concerns. Thanks for the ideas. I definitely need to google some examples.

ChangeAgent - I understand what you're saying about needing a framework, that's one of the things I'm trying to address. Why is it so hard to get started, lol. I'm also developing a portfolio and the accomplished practices will each have its own section. It's a good idea to write "My Philosophy of XXX" for each one and then use that information to write my philosophy of teaching.

Thanks guys for some very useful help!

6. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jun 4, 2007

As another suggestion, since you said getting started is so difficult (which it is!), try answering this question:

What is Education?

Try starting here, then continuing with the rest--always referring to this. Use the answer as your thesis. See what happens!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2007

Why don't you forget the buzzwords and tell US
    What you think education should be?

What should be the role of the teacher? The student?

What's the purpose of education?

8. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 4, 2007

LOL, Aliceacc. I understand what you're saying and agree. I was looking for an outline. Our portfolios have to be arranged in a particular fashion and I was trying to make it cohesive. I'm going to throw it all out the window and just write the thing.

9. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jun 4, 2007

frodolass: The outline may write itself once you honestly answer basic questions, like the ones Aliceacc proposed. Find a "thesis"--your core beliefs--and see what framework that provides. Don't use a hammer and cram your beliefs into a pre-made outline. Create one.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2007

I agree. Otherwise, your letter looks exactly like every other letter from graduates of your school.

With the job market as competitive as it is, that's the LAST thing you want.

I'm a big fan of being yourself in the job search. Like me or hate me, you'll know exactly what you're getting. So my cover letter, resumes, interviews: all reflected me, not some cookie cutter sample from a class or the internet.

It has never failed me!

11. jarcherry

jarcherry Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

Be careful about your Portfolio. I went to FSU, and they were SUPER strict on what went where, how long, what point font...We had to include everything in our Philosophy. I would think that in each AP, you need to show how you addressed the two you picked, or whatever. Dont tell how you would do each thing, include actual student documentation like worksheets to show that you have mastered that section!

Good Luck, Its a PAIN!!

12. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Hey jarcherry - Were you an undergratuate education major? I'm hoping to hear from FSU any day now about my application to their graduate program. If I don't get accepted, I'm going to be devastated. :( I know the final project is a portfolio. Thanks again for the information!

13. jarcherry

jarcherry Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

I was Undergraduate, and that seemed like a pain, good luck though. It is a great school, and is becoming more recognized as one of the top in the nation for education.

Good Luck! Go 'Noles!!

14. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

Yeah, but what do I do with all this orange and blue stuff? :D