I'm working on a seating chart maker app, and would appreciate any ideas or comments!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scm, Oct 27, 2019.

1. scm

scm New Member

Oct 27, 2019

Hello! I'm building an app for generating seating charts called SeatingChartMaker.app

I have some teaching background, but at the moment I'm working as a software developer. While the idea for the app did come from my own experiences, I feel that there's much that I don't know (or remember!) about teachers jobs! Also, as I'm Finnish, I'd be very interested to hear comments from teachers from other countries. Is this even a thing you would like to use a tool for?

- Are you currently using any tools for creating seating charts? How could they be improved?

- What features would make your life easier?

I would love to hear any comments or feedback from you!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2019

I really would not be interested in another computer app to install, configure, protect from viruses, and figure out how to use when a piece of paper and pencil does the work quite nicely.
    Probably not the answer you are looking for, but just being honest with you.

bella84, Tired Teacher and MrsC like this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2019

Most gradebooks/attendance trackers have a seating chart maker already. That's what I use.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2019

For me, the most challenging part of creating a seating plan is considering the dynamics and personalities of the students. An app or program can't do that for me.

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 27, 2019

My gradebook has a seating chart maker also.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 27, 2019

If you did want to create an app, it would need special features to make it stand out. I’d suggest:
    • Being able to easily switch between seating formations with the click of a button, including groups of 4, rows, horseshoe, and so on.
    • Having a way to list that certain students need to be separated from others
    • Have a way to list a student as “must be up front”
    • Security/privacy in the app would be very important as well.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Oct 27, 2019

Our gradebooks already have the seating chart built into them. I have never used it. I taught many years and had no need for a seating chart. The reason I never messed w/ having one was because I moved kids frequently. Most of the moves were temporary. Some were not.
    I guess I am not the only 1 saying this, but sorry! I don't know anyone who would use one that doesn't already have it.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2019

I like these ideas! I agree that the security/privacy issue is important. I would be wary of using an external website for this reason.

otterpop likes this.
  10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 27, 2019

We use the one that is embedded into our state record-keeping program. I’ve also designed them myself in Excel or Word. Not something I’d need.

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Oct 28, 2019

Both our LMS and our SIS have a tool embedded. I don’t really need another.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 28, 2019

I like the idea, but our gradebook/attendance programs already have a seating chart maker, and the really nice thing is you can take roll from it -- which as an elementary school teacher I don't use, but I would imagine it is very helpful in high school were you have many classes that change often.

13. scm

scm New Member

Oct 29, 2019

Great, thank you so much for the honest feedback! It's very helpful for me to know if this is not needed, either because you just don't need it, or you already have a tool. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

otterpop likes this.