I'm trying not to let anxiety get the best of me.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by evesmeow, Jul 23, 2013.

1. evesmeow

evesmeow Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

Demo lesson? I'm trying not to let anxiety get the best of me.

Last week, I interviewed for a teaching position (grades 3-5) at the school where I worked as a para this past year. The teachers I worked with are very supportive and have recommended me to the principal for a teaching job. I think the inteview went well. At the end, the P walked me out and told me there would be one more round of interviews and they would let me know their decision by the end of this week (at least that's what I remember her saying:blush:).

I've heard through the grapevine the P wants to narrow down the interview pool to 4-5 candidates and then have a Math demo lesson. As a novice teacher I've only ever implemented 2 Math lessons. My student teaching was in a 5th grade Science/Social Studies class. :( I need advice, please. I know I haven't even received a call back yet, but I want to be prepared. :)

What type of Math lesson for grades 3-5 would you recommend for a demo?

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

Something a little open-ended...3rd graders will have had basic mult. and division. A probability lesson would also be fun. Maybe a game that has review skills?

Geometry is also fun and can be adapted across grade levels. Hmm, I'll keep thinking! Gotta run right now.

4. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 23, 2013

I taught 3-5 grade math during summer school this year and I also student taught in 3rd grade and taught math for 12 weeks. I purchased a ton of activities on TpT. If you're interested, PM me and I'd be happy to share some of them with you!

Things I did were: basic multiplication/division, fractions/probability (that's what I spent my student teaching on), geometry

5. evesmeow

evesmeow Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

Thank you! I like the idea of fractions/probability.

After thinking about it some more, I remembered the school uses Everyday Math. If candidates are asked to demo a Math lesson I imagine they would expect to see Everyday Math being used. Maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing... :(

Thanks again for your advice!!

6. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 24, 2013

I'm not familiar with Everyday Math as the schools I've been in have used Math Expressions, but I would take a look at some Everyday Math lessons and maybe adapt it?

Good luck!!

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

I don't think they'd necessarily want an Everyday Math lesson (I used that program at my last job and we actually supplemented with other materials from all over) but if you want to use it, I think it would be great, too! It would show that you've researched their programs.

8. evesmeow

evesmeow Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

Good thing I haven't prepared anything...I got a call back to come in on Monday morning to do a demo lesson for a 3rd or 4th grade non-fiction reading lesson. YAY for making it to the second round! Blech to the anxiety building and the obsessive preparation I will now put myself through. :)

Since I have no idea what my "class" knows about non-fiction, I'm thinking of keeping it simple and doing a non-fiction text features lesson. The school follows Lucy Calkins' Reading Workshop format so I can use that as a template for my lesson. Do you think this topic is too easy? What if the kids know everything about non-fiction text features and I bore them out of their minds?? :p

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

9. LC ELA

LC ELA Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

Congrats on making it to the demo - how exiting! I prepare like a crazy person for demos and I know how overwhelming, costly, and exhausting it can be. However, in my experience, it pays off because if nothing else you come across as well-prepared and hard working. And, hey, those are attractive qualities to an employer, right? Sorry I cant offer any advice for your lesson (I am secondary ELA) but I wish you the very best of luck - it sounds promising!