Im trying MS next year

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JRafko, Jan 28, 2014.

1. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Jan 28, 2014

This is starting to get ridiculous.

In the past two weeks I have spent more time filling out forms or academic explanations of why students received the grade they earned, training for "Out of the Darkness" and grade distribution by demographics, than I have planning. I have spent my free time doing these things which are burning myself out of this school. I love to teach, but I am also in a classroom teaching a subject well, is okay.

I am switching to Middle school science next year, first of all because I love the Earth sciences. Second, Middle school has less BS forms to fill out and hopefully the parents will play more of a role in their students education. Every week in my district I am given a form to show that I am not showing movies every day. On average, I am getting observed about once every two weeks. I am under constant scrutiny of admin and others above me allowing students a second chance at bringing up a grade. We NEED to offer "On-going" recovery if students have a poor semester.

Yes I am a new teacher, but I am not a poor teacher. Let me teach.

Sorry about the rant, but this is really getting on my nerves.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2014

Sometimes it's just as bad in the lower grades in regards to paperwork and the other BS. Make sure that you aren't jumping into the same old stuff in a different pond.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 28, 2014

:(

I agree with the above poster. Be sure that you know what you're jumping into before you jump.

In my area middle school teachers have it worse than anyone else. And it is 100% their fault when a student does poorly. Students are not allowed to be held back, and they know it, so they choose to not do anything. The gap in grades is HUGE. You have high achievers and those that fail. Anyone that would be considered a C student tends to take the easy way out and fail. Because, again, they cannot be held back.

MS teachers have more students per day but the least amount of planning time than HS or elementary school teachers.

And puberty sucks!

5. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Jan 28, 2014

I do plan on doing more meditation on this. I have done middle school in a title one school in Student teaching. I am in a completely different state so I know that it will be different, I have been speaking with others on this and they all agree it is getting absolutely ridiculous at my school. It has just been a rough time, recently.

6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jan 28, 2014

I agree with some of the above posters to keep thinking about this. Not saying you don't have a lot of paperwork but I know teaching middle school I also have a lot of paperwork.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 28, 2014

I see fewer parents at MS than I did at HS, and the kids are awful about taking things home. Sometimes my head wants to explode with, "But he/she was a straight A student until middle school."

I love middle school, but it's not without its aggravation.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 28, 2014

Can you talk with a couple of the middle school teachers in your district? See what they think of the students, the principal, and the atmosphere. That way, you're making a change TO something rather than FROM something.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 28, 2014

I hate that statement.

Your kid didn't hit puberty in Elementary school and wasn't asked to balance chemical equations or complete geometric proofs. We also don't baby your kids anymore.

Some parents don't always get that Middle School is not just a continuation of Elementary.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 29, 2014

and some parents don't get that high school isn't just a continuation of middle school.

I have a policy where I do not follow up on missed work after absences. If a student is absent it is HIS responsibility to figure out what he missed and get it to me. This is stated on my website, on the parent letter home, at Open House, during my first day of class and I even have a poster in my room reminding students daily of the policy. Students are "reminded" when they do not get an assignment returned when everyone else does.

I will still get emails/calls from parents asking why I did not remind Johnny of his missed work. And then expecting me to take it on the last day of the semester because that's what happened in middle school. Well, this ain't middle school!

11. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Jan 29, 2014

I have been recently discussing with one of my friends who is in a Middle school and says he loves it. He does remind me that "they are in middle school," and I love the strange changes and other things that come along with middle school. I may change my mind along the way, but man, I feel like the admin and District have their thumbs on us at all times.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2014

I absolutely love teaching middle school. I'm 11 years in and can't imagine doing anything else at this point. I swore when I was training to teach that I'd do anything *but* MS. I volunteered in lower elementary, I tutored at the high school, but I refused to even drive by the MS. All the horror stories I'd heard plus my own terrible experiences there colored me the wrong way.

All the "other" garbage is going to follow you wherever you go. Find the content you love, the kids you love and a staff you can tolerate and you'll do great.

And, contrary to what you might hear, C students don't become F students in MS. C students without good teachers become F students in MS.