I'm teaching in the same school that I babysat for a child

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by PenCelia, Apr 19, 2007.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

I'm taking over for a leave until the end of the year. Finally! I was wondering how to handle the fact that an 8th grader in the school I have babysat since she was three yrs old. I'm still pretty close to the family. I'm teaching 5th grade at the same school. Should I have her refer to me as Ms. last name? or is it o.k. that she call me by my first name. I have been there since Tuesday and she has come by everyday to see me. I wouldn't mind if she wanted to help me some setting up my things but I don't want the other students to get the idea that they can call me by my first name. Any suggestions? I'm off to a potluck to meet the parents. I'm only shadowing the teacher this week after vacation I take over. Suggestions for a smooth transition? Thanks!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

She's old enought to understand that when you are at school you are working, therefore she should refer to you as Ms....

What she does outside of school is her choice.

If it were me, I would not make a habit of seeing her too often through out the day.... just explain to her that you have a job to do and that you can speak to her after school.

Good luck with the job.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 19, 2007

My first cousin is an 8th grader at my school. She calls me by Mrs. ____ just like all the other kids when there are other kids around. When she sees me other times she calls me by my first name.

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 19, 2007

I worked at a recreation center over the summer and I subbed for some of the students I watched at the rec center. At the center they called me by my first name. Now the ones I see at the schools call me by my last name. (grades K to 5)

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

My best friends children when I worked at the same school called me Ms. B. At home they call me Auntie Jaime

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 19, 2007

When I was student teaching one of the kids in the class was from a family I had babysat for many years. She was only a third grader, but she made a very smooth transition to calling me Ms. C instead of Stephanie.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 19, 2007

I taught my cousin when I was a student teacher and he addressed me by my last name -- no slip ups. He did enjoy telling the kids that he was my cousin though, but after the first week and his 5 minutes of fame, it was forgotten :D .

9. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 19, 2007

When I student taught I knew two of the kids in the class as babies. The first I went to elementary school with her mom's cousins (and had a crush on those twins) and college with her mom. I knew the little girl as a baby (no name problem). The second girl didn't really remember my name but she did remember laying on the couch eating goldfish crackers. We watched her as a baby when I was 14. I used her and another little girl as subject for the best elective ever photography, and there was also a picture of me holding her by the sea lion exhibit at the zoo. I reprinted the pictures and gave her the reprints.

10. roamer

roamer Companion

Apr 19, 2007

I work at the school where my younger son goes. I live in the district and know many of the kids outside of school. Like you, I babysat some of them. They usually call me by my first name outside of school, but by Mrs. P. in school. The only one who had a hard time remembering was the special ed girl I babysat. I had no problem with her calling me by my first name in school, but her teacher did.