I'm teaching 2nd next year!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by AFWifeinUtah, Jun 11, 2009.

1. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 11, 2009

I'm so excited to get to teach 2nd grade next year. I have taught kinder before. I was wondering what are some really good chapter books for 2nd. I know Magic Tree House are good, but most of these kids heard those in 1st. What are some other good ones?:thanks:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 11, 2009

They may have "heard" some of the Magic Treehouse books, but hearing is not the same as reading. Most beginning 2nd graders are not quite reading to read those (your high readers will...and many more later in the year...)

A great series for those who are beginning to read chapter books is any of the Henry and Mudge books. Little House Chapter books (they are like the regular LIttle House books, but are easier chapter books based on specific scenes from the longer Wilder books) are also very popular. Cam Jenson books and Nate the Great are good ones, as are Mr. Putter and Tabby books. The Ready Freddy series are goods, as are the Weird School series. As the year progresses, the Calendar Club Mysteries are good.

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

I have been wondering the same thing!

I have hundreds of picture books, but I'm coming from preschool, so I don't have many chapter books.

My brothers are going into 4th and 7th grades, so I'm going home and raiding the books they've outgrown this weekend!

5. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 15, 2009

Danny'sNanny I wish I could raid my kid's books. I am coming from kinder and have a ton of picture books. My kids are 4th and one going into 2nd so it's taking time for me to see what is available. I think the library will be a good friend this coming year. I am so excited to be teaching 2nd!!

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 15, 2009

AFWife,
    Second grade "rocks!" Tomorrow is our last day of school, and I will miss these darlings more than I care to admit. They come in so needy but so ready to learn. They leave with so much independence. It is wonderful to see the growth and transition.

Personally, I would raid garage sales that advertise "kid's clothes" or "kids items" because they often have children's books that are like new! I don't need any more books now -- but when I first started teaching, I went to garage sales. I talked to the people and told them I was a teacher looking for books for my students -- and at least half of the time, the people just gave me the books! Most of the rest of the time, they gave me a ridiculously good deal. Most people who sell children's books at garage sales don't do so to make money -- they do it because they love books and don't want to see them thrown-out. When you give them a good alternative, they are happy to know their books will be used again and again, and loved by so many.

Personally, for 2nd grade, I couldn't live without the Henry and Mudge series. They are incredibly easy chapter books, perfect for readers who are just transitioning to chapter books, with lots of little pictures sprinkled throughout. The vocabulary is spot-on for this age group.

I also love the Cam Jansen series, and Weird School series, and the Mr. Putter and Tabby series. But if I had to pick only one, it would be Henry and Mudge.

Have a great year in 2nd!!!

7. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jun 16, 2009

Congratulations on your new job! You will love 2nd grade! Where (What city) in Utah will you be teaching? As far as reading, 2nd graders love nonfiction books! My class couldn;t get enough of them:)

8. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Jun 16, 2009

Savers and DI (I'm in Utah too) have tons of cheap books, most in extremely good quality, too.

9. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

Rainstorm thanks for all the suggestions. I am teaching in the Roy, UT area! I'm enjoying my summer and actually looking forward to school beginning!

10. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

You'll love second! Here are my favorites; for read alouds, definitely get some Hank Zipzer books. The boys love them and sometimes its hard to find good chapter books for boys. I agree with previous posts that non-fiction is great too. They love books about animals, weather, science, things like that. Magic Tree House, Cam Jansen, Junie B. Jones, Ramona, Henry and Mudge, A to Z Mysteries... Picture books are great too. I hope that helps and good luck!

11. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

Yes it all helps. I have been making a list of all the books everyone has given me! I'm hoping to have a good 10 minutes each day to read to them and hope later inthe year to break them into groups and have the groups read a book together and then report on it as a group.

12. minimar1

minimar1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

I have found they love Junie B Jones, Goosebumps and the Berenstain Bears chapter books. You can also try Arthur's chapter books (by Marc Brown)

Good luck!