I'm taking a "break" from this site.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2014

Unfortunately, Cerek ..... some of us are only part time participants at best and don't have a clue about WHO the bullies are .... or specifically WHAT the bully did or say .. I have no idea just what the OP of this thread is upset about...... This is NOT aimed at the OP at all ..... but I think lots of members are too thin skinned. ATOZ IMHO is a very "gentle" forum.. Everyone should go back and read SpecialPreskoo's post.

(For what it's worth, Cerek, I do enjoy reading your posts..... :))

2. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2014

Perhaps I am being insensitive, but I have rarely seen posts I would consider bullying. What I see are posts of people expressing different opinions, which is their right. Yes, differences should be expressed respectfully, if possible, but we aren't perfect people and sometimes our frustrations come out. Some people are overly sensitive and some aren't sensitive enough. Some people agree with me, and some don't. Sounds like the real world to me.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 16, 2014

Seriously. We are about to the point of banning "bullies". Some people are sensitive. I get that. Some people don't give a rip and have no clue their views are seen as rude and bullyish. Or they do have a clue and just don't give a rip.

I'm not asking for world peace. I'm asking for some to put their big girl panties on or grow some balls. Grow a backbone. Realize that these people that are rubbing you the wrong way are STRANGERS! Don't let their high and mighty attitude get to you.

I see reports from the BULLIES because their toes are getting stepped on by those that are trying to speak up for themselves.

I just want the "bullies" to get a freaking clue! BACK THE HECK OFF! Shut your blasted mouth? Did I offend you????? GOOD! Go hide in a corner and pout about it. At least you will leave others alone for a while.

It is flipping ridiculous that there is so much CRAP going on this board. Where is the support? OUT THE FLIPPING WINDOW! You harsh folks don't get it. WE DON'T LIKE THE ATTITUDE! NO ONE DOES!

Really, I have NO PROBLEM AT ALL BANNING those that can't keep their bully a$$ comments to their selves.

We try to abolish bullying in schools but you get on here and strut your stuff! GROW THE H-E-L-L UP!!!!

Don't like my bad words? I DON'T LIKE YOUR BULLYING ATTITUDE! Don't bother reporting my post. It won't be moderated. Some of you just don't see it unless it is IN YOUR FACE!

The ones that take their "breaks" don't need to. THE FREAKING A$$HOLES on here causing all this crap needs to go take a break. Reflect on how you treat others on here. My southern hospitality has been put on a self for right now. My mama hen has kicked in.

If I could do it, I'd make a real time out room on here and put all you snots that pester the crap out of others in there to duke it out among yourselves. Make each other miserable instead of the ones that don't deserve your crap.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 16, 2014

I wrote this long post about some things addressed in this thread and based on my experiences lately. But then, I decided to exercise something I find lacking in a few members here, the maturity and wisdom to know when to express an opinion. If you want to know what I wrote, I'll PM it to you.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

There's only one user here that I've ever considered to be a bully, and I certainly don't expect that user to be banned for what he/she says, and on the bullying scale... well, there's only so much that a bully can really do on the other end of a keyboard without even knowing your name.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 16, 2014

Yeah, but even that amount is unnecessary. And there is more than one.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

I'm sure there are... there's only one that gets under my skin though. There are other users I don't care for or that I always disagree with, but there's only one whose posts I look at as accomplishing nothing/attempting to do nothing but pissing me (and others) off.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2014

I understand your point of view. Personally, I see the forum as an anonymous entertainment venue. People watch tv or read a book, or post to a forum for entertainment. If they don't like the tv or the book, they turn it off (or close the book). I see bullying as something that is a personal, face to face activity directed at a specific person (or group of people). I just don't see how an anonymous poster saying something snarky to another anonymous poster (who can hit the exit button) is the same thing as the bullying you are speaking about.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree, however. I'm not trying to convince you to change your opinion.

9. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 16, 2014

I think some people come here to seek advice so they can be the best teacher they can possibly be. When they pose a question and get attacked I think they are taken aback because that wasn't what they were looking for from this site.

I am one of those people that came here to learn for others. There are times people post their opinions in a nice way. When their opinion is the complete opposite of mine I am happy to read their post and to look at it from their point of view because it helps me grow as a teacher and as a human. When they are nasty I just want to retreat and avoid that person which no longer makes this site a learning experience for me.

I once innocently asked a question because I was trying to understand the person and where they were coming from. I didn't understand their viewpoint and I thought I could gain some understanding if I asked a question about their background. You would have thought I was starting world war 3 from the response of the person I so innocently asked a question of. I tried to explain my intention and the person just wouldn't stop attacking me and putting words in my mouth. Ever since then I have avoid any posts this person is involved in because I don't want to be attacked again. That makes me sad because we, as teachers, should treat each other as we would our students. A little kindness and compassion can go a long way.

Please don't attack me for my opinion. I am just trying to share my feelings ~right or wrong.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2014

ec~I haven't read the particular thread yet, but I am sorry that it has come to having to take a break. I have done it myself and I know a lot of other posters that have done the same thing. Sometimes we just need to step back for a time and come back with a different frame of mind.

There have been a couple of posters that have used to post regularly, but have not been on for some time. They could just be too busy with their lives to post, but you still worry if something has happened to them (it's happened before). So it's nice to be made aware of when regular posters are just taking a break, especially if the break is a long one.
    I think like in schools, 'bullying' gets thrown around at the first sign of hurt feelings. Bullying would be if a certain poster went around posting negative, hurtful things on a particular person's threads. I haven't seen that here. There's a difference between bullying and disagreeing. It's tough to put your real thoughts on here for fear that someone will disagree and then attack you for your opinions. Just because they don't jive with your thoughts does not mean that you or the poster is wrong or that one is bullying the other. The world in general has made it almost impossible to disagree with anyone.

And as for the mods, that is a 'job' I would not want on any forum. They work hard to make sure that this site is worth coming to and the environment is a safe one to post to. There are rules, and if the poster is not breaking those rules, then they can't be banned. Are there posters I think need to be banned? Of course, but if they technically aren't breaking any rules and you don't like what they say, then ignore them.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

Time out room! That's genius! Lets set it up so that if your post gets x number of reports, you are sent to time out. Then everyone in there can fight and argue with each other! The rest of us can just sit back and watch, like an online rubber room with observation windows.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2014

There is a lot of leeway allowed in these boards. I, personally, only unapproved posts in which the poster personally insults another member. I close threads when an argument has become repetitive. Both of these decisions can be overridden by another moderator or the site owner (and that wouldn't bother me). There are some threads I avoid unless I am alerted to a problem. There are some members I avoid, too.

It wouldn't be a public forum if we all agreed on everything. What one person might see as bullying, another will see as strongly worded argument. Moderators use their best judgment but tend toward a laissez-faire approach. Mods, of their own accord, cannot ban members. We don't even unapproved threads that seriously irk us; we try to be impartial. It might not seem that way to some members, but so be it.

Mods appreciate receiving reported threads. We act as quickly as possible when we think it is necessary. Again, we err on the side of least intervention. As we see even in this thread, one person's 'bullying' is another person's 'strong viewpoints'. If you don't like a member's posts, simply 'ignore' them. (You may need to sign out and resign in for it to take effect.)

Some people seem to want to continue to make their points over and over again, perhaps seeking confirmation from somebody in cyberspace. But, that is not very effective in doing anything but annoying others.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

I think I remember that... assuming I remember correct, you were dealing with a user that... to keep it appropriate, I'll just say me and that user don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, and I sometimes question that user's purpose for being here.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2014

How often do you see the case where it is obvious that someone misunderstand the intent of another poster? Quite often. How often do you see a member apologize? Rather rarely. Lots of us seem to get stuck in our own takes. Live and let live. Take what you can use and leave the rest.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

Ok, now to be serious:

1. I agree that a tough skin is necessary to participate in anything online. Three words-let it go.

2. I think that "bullying" is thrown around so often that it begins to lose its meaning. Disagreement does not equal bullying.

3. Numerous people have called for "banning" members who are obnoxious. That would be great, but those obnoxious members have nothing better to do than rejoin under different names, so that method does not work. So why ban them and have to go through the identification pain-in-the-butt process? Keep your enemies closer.

4. If you have a problem with my use of the word "enemies" in number 3, see number 1.

5. I am acquainted with several of the moderators other than in this forum. They are stand-up, honest, hard-working people who do the best they can. If you are feeling picked on, in more than one post and by more than one mod, ask yourself-what's the common denominator?

6. If you have a problem with number 5, see numbers 1 and 2.