I'm stuck here.... bummer

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by La Profesora, Feb 8, 2008.

1. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Feb 8, 2008

Well, I made it to the end of the road in my pregnancy! I'm 36 weeks, and I was admitted to the hospital on Feb 4th. I went to my twice-weekly doc's visit, and they found a possible blood clot in my placenta, so they stuck me in the hospital to keep me and baby on constant monitoring.

I can be induced at 37 weeks as long as the baby's lungs are mature. Lots of people tell me they have healthy babies at 35 or 36 weeks, but you have to remember that I have Diabetes too, so the baby may not be mature yet. So I will probably be stuck here for one more week, have an amnio, and if he's ready - Let's roll!!!

I actually find a lot of comfort being here, watching his heart rate constantly on the monitor, and knowing that my contractions are not all in my head. I had a doozy last night right in front of my poor dad! My machine usually reads my contractions about 35 to 50, but I had a whammo at 127, and I thought my dad's eye's were gonna pop out of his body!

Funny also is that most women only have one or two ultrasounds in their pregnancy. Due to this "mysterious image" on the ultrasound that may be a placental abruption (my friend Laura calls it "the virgin mary" so maybe I'll sell my sonogram pics on ebay!) I just had my 16th ultrasound yesterday! Its really neat to actually know my baby has all his fingers toes, heart, kidneys, etc.

Wish me luck guys! I have my laptop now. And I have 24 hours a day (minus contractions) to type and opine. So, give me some good discussion topics!!!

and pray for me and the baby!

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 8, 2008

Take care of yourself, Hon! Lot's of prayers and well wishes coming your way.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 8, 2008

I hope all goes well!!! Can't wait to hear when the little one arrives!! Take it easy!! :)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 8, 2008

It sounds like you are in the right place. I'm glad you feel reassured by it. I will say a prayer for you.

(51 years ago, my sister was born at 24 weeks and miraculously survived.)

6. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2008

Prayers and Good Wishes being sent your way!

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 8, 2008

Take care of yourself and your little one - I am praying for you both

At least now you don't have to worry about getting to the hospital :) traveling through a blizzard or horrible road conditions

8. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Feb 8, 2008

oh my gosh, don't scare me! I sure pray they don't send me home, then. I haven't dealt with snow in 8 years since I lived on the Mexican border. yikes!

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 8, 2008

It's supposed to turn very cold this weekend. But, I don't think they are predicting any significant snow around here for a while.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2008

I delivered my DD at 31 weeks. You would never be able to tell looking at her today that she was early. I'm glad that you are in the hospital where if anything happens, then they'll know exactly what to do. I didn't have a laptop the 4 weeks I was in the hospital on bedrest so you're lucky in that aspect. I watched a lot of TV, did a lot of logic puzzles, and read a lot of books! Prayers going out to you and your little one.

And the extra ultrasounds are awesome, I do agree!

11. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Feb 8, 2008

Rest while you can

My third was born at 33 weeks and he's a healthy robust young teen today. Well, other than the fact that we're home today because he has the totally horrible virus that's plaguing our school district. Just relax and do everything the docs tell you and know that God is with you and them to make sure this baby is healthy and ready to take on the world. God bless and congratulations.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2008

Congrats!!! Like Teacher218...rest while you can!!!
    Mine were born a little early as well!!! One of them helped trigger gall bladder attacks...went to the doc & they told me they wanted me to get to week 36, I was at 33wks!!! 3 weeks of the most boring food ever!!! But healthy!!!

I was just saying to hubby last nite how some women get to have sooo many ultra sounds & tons of the pix. I had one with each pg!!!! LUCKY you to have that!!!

Hope the delivary goes "easy" for ya!!! Saying prayers for you & baby!!!

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2008

Yes I had lots of ultrasounds too because of complications. Mine was born at 36 weeks and 1 day. Doc told me just make it to 36 weeks so I did exactly that. Good luck and we will keep you company during your stay in the deluxe Hilton... I mean hospital.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 8, 2008

Good thoughts are w/ you!

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 8, 2008

Make sure your family brings you some goodies!

Keep us posted.

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2008

All 3 of mine were 4-6 weeks early and are healthy happy teenagers. I understand where you are right now. I was on bedrest the entire of my 1st pregnancy and the last 6 months of my last pregnancy. Being on bedrest for the last onewas indeed fun with a 3 year old and a 1 year old running around. This was all before the days of computers. I finished 6 afghans and at least 10 cross stitch projects. Would you care to guess what everyone got for Christmas that year?

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2008

Prayers and good thoughts are with you!

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 8, 2008

My prayers are with you. I spent a total of 6 months in perinatal ICU between my 3 DS's and I only had a laptop with the last one. My boys were born between 27 and 35 weeks and they're all doing great today. Take care of yourself as best as you can, and it sounds like you have good doctors so everything should be fine.

19. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

I know it's boring being in the hospital, La Prof, but hang in there. :) After you have the baby are you going back to Texas?

It seems like you never can tell what topics will turn out to be interesting and which won't; just try anything that pops into your mind! :)

20. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 10, 2008

Keeping you and the baby in my prayers. My cousin just had twins at 35 weeks and they both went home today. they were born on Tuesday... WOW! they can do miracles these days! Good luck and get some rest!

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 10, 2008

Sorry you are so bored in the hospital. Pretty neat about being able to watch baby grow though the ultra sounds. Your in my prayers.

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2008

HOW IS IT GOING?!? Anything "going" on yet?!?

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2008

Hang in there and keep us posted when you can! :)

24. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Feb 11, 2008

Is "he" a he? Or have you asked not to be told? Umm, it is pretty obvious to the doctors by now? I only got one ultrasound each for my girls, and they were early (the ultra sounds, not the girls) so it took a lot of interpretation. Good luck.

25. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Feb 11, 2008

A little update...

I have really bad reception in the hospital, so I'm lucky to get 5 minutes of computer access. I'm stuck in bed all day, every day except to shower and take a little walk around the nurse's station.

they found a possible blood clot in my placenta, so they are keeping me here unitl the birth just to watch it. I get an ultrasound every day! And the doctors hmmm and haw.... and then just say "Sit tight!"

The current plan is to give me an amniocentesis on Thursday in the morning, and if the baby's lungs are mature, they will induce me on Friday! They will try to do it naturally, (read: ouchy vaginally) unless the baby is over 9 and a half pounds - which is very likely! They will measure him Thurs too, and if he is huge, plan the c section.

So, my current saga comes to a head this weekend! Pray for me and rememeber that my whole family is a riot, adn their plan is to make me laugh until he squirts out! They call him "Lil Squirt," but also because my mom says that is what little boys do!

My brother wants me to name him "Surprise!" He says that would be the funnest name ever. Can you imagine having a student named Surprise?

"SO, what is the answer? Surprise!?!?"

ha ha ha. My family is a hoot!

I'll update tomorrow or ASAP, miss you guys!

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2008

Glad to hear you're so upbeat about it!!! Definately keeping you all in my prayers.... 2 the "old" natural way here (meaning no drugs at all)...you can do it (well, maybe not if the baby is that big!) Good Luck!!!

Surprise would be great!!! We had some funny names run through our minds as well!!!

GOOD LUCK & we'll be thinking of ya!!!

27. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 11, 2008

I am glad to hear that you are sitting tight! You don't want to be out in the weather predicted for tonight and tomorrow! There are weather advisory warnings running across the tv screen right now! Heavy, wet snow is headed our way.
    Maybe "Storm" would be a suitable name for the little one!

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 11, 2008

Hopefully soon. I know you're ready. Surprise as a name.....hmmmmmm.... Well I did have a Precious one year. Yep, that's her real first name.