I'm so ticked off!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mom&teacher, Aug 21, 2007.

1. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 21, 2007

We have 6 second grade teachers and I'm always the one that gets dumped on with the "problem" students! I'm the team leader so I can get on to our attendence system to see everyones classlists. Well I have the most students for one, but I also have 6 alerts which means I have 6 kids that get special ed. services. Then I go in to look at my medical records and I have a student with a heart condition (okay), and a student that has fever induced seizures (another okay), those I can deal with. BUT THEN I have a student that has, ADHD, ODD, OCD, and Depression! I e-mail our office head and she said that the principle and vice principle placed him and thought my class would be a good fit. That's great, I take it as a compliment, but did they look at the rest of my kids!!!! GRRRR, she said I can come in tomorrow and either place him else where or look at the rest of my kids!!!! If you go this far thanks, I just needed to vent to people that understand where I'm coming from. Last year I had a student with ADHD and ODD AND a student with mild functioning Autism! I was just hoping for an easier year!

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 21, 2007

Oh man, I feel for you! When I was student teaching we had a second grade boy that was ADHD ODD OCD, you name it. They are tough little cookies. With the workload you already seem to have going on in your room that is going to be a little challenge for you.

BUT it's great that you are taking it as a compliment!! Keep thinking of it that way. By June I bet you will be wondering how your class ever would have functioned without him...or any of them. Good luck to you, and remember this is a great place for you to vent through the year!!! :love:

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 21, 2007

You would think with 6 teachers they would spread them out a little more... also, what does this say about your principal's regard for the other teachers? Aren't they capable of handling the kids with alerts? Is that 9 kids with special needs of one kind or another (medical, behavioral or learning?) That is going to make it harder for all the kiddos.

I would keep the most challenged kid (the OCD, ODD, ADHD boy) and see if some of the other spec. ed kids could go to other teachers. If you have less kids with special needs, maybe you would be a good fit for this boy. Each of the other teachers could take one more kid with SE services.

I am guessing that you are the team leader because you are a very good, and dedicated teacher.

5. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

I agree...it's a compliment but not one that makes you feel rewarded, I guess, it's almost a punishing compliment. I know I get challenging children but also challenging parents. I don't want to be negative but I do want you to know I feel for you...been there, done that, will do that.

6. jayt11

jayt11 Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I know the feeling. Last year, as a 2nd grade teacher, i was ALSO given problem kids. The kicker: they were 1st graders who could not be controlled by their teacher. The parents of these 2 boys asked the VP to place them in my class.

That's in addition to the low acheiving kids i already got stuck with.

But you know what they say: Receive lemons, make lemonade. When my kid's reading levels blew the roof off, that made my statement loud and clear.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 3, 2007

I am in the same boat, to an extent. I always get students with very wide academic capabilities. I handle it well... but... at times, it can be difficult to differentiate. It is a lot of work to enrich and remediate at the same time. Yet in education, this has become a reality.

In my four fourth grade classes and those I have received from special ed., I have had 3 EH (specials and lunch only, except one I instructed for one subject in the past), 5 who needed a great deal of remediation from VE, 1 who had a feeding tube and needed encouragement there, 3 who had hearing impairments, 2 autistic, and I am sure several AD(H)D, some I probably wasn't even aware of. Not all were in my homeroom, but I instructed them all except for 2 of the EH. Then I also have had 8 Gifted and probably about another 8-15 who came extremely close to it.

It's a great challenge I choose to accept. I am one of the inclusion teachers for my grade level.

I honestly love every student I get every year and feel that every single one was called to be in my class. :) They all also have made fabulous academic gains.

8. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

I am just about to start my first year of teaching, and I found out yesterday that my class includes a child with ODD, attachment disorder, and ADD. This is in addition to the other student I have with ADHD, two with dyslexia, and one who is developmentally delayed. I just hope I can make this a good year for everyone!

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 3, 2007

I can sympathize. I teach K and have the biggest group in the smallest room (used to be an office small). I have 5 more than the new to our school teacher who has a huge room and 2 more than the most experienced teacher. I have one student with severe medical needs, he has a full time private nurse. I worry constantly about his safety. the other day he tripped over a chair and fell head first into the waste basket. The other teachers would take a few of my students but admin won't move them.

10. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Sep 3, 2007

I completely understand your frustration. Yes, it's a compliment, but sometimes I feel that the "good" teachers, get punished. There never is an "easy" year because you are "good". Last year I had 4 problem kids in my class, this year I have six. A friend of mine almost quit last year because our principal kept removing problem kids during the year and putting them in her class because she has great management. A compliment to her, but also a punishment. I think sometimes teachers may hold back because of this. It's a big reason many get burned out as well. Just wanted to show you some support and understanding, even though I have no solution.

Tina

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 3, 2007

How about requesting a teachers aid OR Para to help? That seems like to many to mix into one classroom. It isn't fair to you or the rest of your students.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2007

Last year we had 4 2nd grade teachers. Three out of the four had some good classes, just a few behavior problems, mostly just talkative groups. But the fourth, well, I think she should have voted teacher of the year. She had the most severe behavior problems. This was her 3rd year teaching so she did have experience under her belt. Towards the end of the year the AP came to us and said that one of the other teachers (who had been there 2 yrs) would be getting the problem class next year since she would be starting her 3rd year. I guess they think you can handle anything when you've been teaching for 3 years...I'm just glad that I won't be there :)

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 3, 2007

I guess they think you can handle anything when you've been teaching for 3 years... Ouch. Sort of. With internship, I am in my 5th year, and I worry plenty!! :woot: However, I use what I have learned, and everything then is great.

I think students are placed in your room because of a combination of classroom management and methods you use. Your patience can also be a factor...

14. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Sep 3, 2007

They would give me a PARA for 20 min. a day 3x a week. Seems like a waste, I turned it down.

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 3, 2007

In my school we have some classes with several children adhd, sed, etc... and others with none. One class has 10/ 22 that need extra help. Every class that has students on IEPs or students who need the extra help does have an ed. asst. They definitely need an asst. in the room. That person can work 1 on 1 to give students the best education possible. It also frees you up to teach to the students who are performing well. It really has been a help to me to have someone to help those students who need more individual attention :)

16. jayt11

jayt11 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

btw, on this "inclusion" thing, i was turned down for special ed teaching because i did not have the criteria. I still don't, I am general ed k-8.

TO that end, combined with classroom aids who aren't qualified to assist these kids, putting special needs children in my class will be counterproductive.

it may be a 'way of life' now, but it's also the impetus for lower test scores because gov't wants to save money.

17. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 3, 2007

Congratulations, I bet you did a fantastic job with your class last year. Administrators will try to place there problem students who is a miracle worker and can handle them or will not complain to the administration when the child acts up. However, it is still not fair to you or the other children in you class.Have you checked class registers. Does everyone have an equal amount of students. If you really feel one of the children will keep the others from learning speak up,it would not be fair to the children if you didn't.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2007

Do you think principals consider this when dealing with class list? If you go in year after year and constantly get a 'problem' class, it wouldn't take long for you to get burned out. I agree that some teachers may hold back on just how incrediable they are to avoid getting the compliment of having a difficult class.

19. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 3, 2007

are you a push-in SPED room? if not, that's a crappy situation! my class was like that last year and i wasn't a push in room. i had 3 with ADD, 2 ESL students, 2 very immature needy students, 1 ANGRY little guy who liked to hit and a child that was locked in a closet for half his life. it was a hard year. granted i didn't have the diagnosed problems you do, but it was still hard trying to juggle all of that. i can only IMAGINE what your year would be like if they don't change it. keep us posted on what the principal decides.

LC

20. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

So sorry! It's unwritten policy in our building that we "share the joy". If one person gets the SPED cluster one year, then that teacher doesn't get the cluster the next year. 2 years back I had 2 supported ed (needing 1-on-1 aides) students...1 with autism/adhd and one that was in a self contained class for severe learning disabilities. I also had 1 boy who was borderline MR. It was a rough year, so I feel your pain. I hope they learn to spread it around soon!