I'M SO FRUSTRATED WITH MY NEW TEACHER AIDE!!!! kinda long sorry... need to vent.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tgi1515, Oct 10, 2008.

1. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Oct 10, 2008

I'm SO upset that I'm not able to think clearly right now. :banghead: I was SO hopeful that this year my new aide would be great. So far, she wants to be the teacher and fights me on nearly everything. She came in before school began and started moving all my centers around. Ok, not a biggy, I'm up for new ideas, but stopped her after moving 3 centers. But then, she wrote her name and then "teacher" under it and put it outside the door. When I told her that I had a problem with that, and my principal would also have a problem, she told me that in Head Start, her title was "teacher" not "aide". I compromised and let her put Name, Head Start Teacher.

I've tried including her in my planning, putting her name on all our schedules, etc. to make her feel part of the team, but now she's withholding information about students, making me look bad to parents, taking over parent conversations, and saying inappropriate things to people (teachers and parents). One of my parents made a formal complaint about her this week.

The last straw was when I asked her to give me signed permission slips for our upcoming field trip next week, she told me that it was a Head Start program and she couldn't. I told her that it was a school field trip, I was the teacher responsible for the students and that I needed the permission slips and names of parents who were going. Not only has she NOT done it, she took the folder home with the parent's money. I'm livid.

I have a meeting scheduled with the principal, the head start coordinator for this area and her on Monday. I have to come up with a "list" of grievances. So far, the list looks like a sheet of petty gripes. It's not that any one of the things (except this last one) is horrible by itself, it's the mere number of things that is overwhelming to me. She is passive/agressive and I can't prove some of the things that are going on. I wish I had a list of HS's job description and list of duties for a HS "teacher", then maybe I could make a list that looked more professional.

Let me know if you have any ideas on how to write this list, so that I don't end up being the one who looks petty, controlling, and crazy.:dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2008

Can you post the list and we'll help you re-word it?

Also I think at your meeting you need to clarify the responsibilities of your aide. She needs a copy of this...Maybe a meeting should be scheduled with all of you (aide included) to discuss parameters, responsibilities and team work...

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 10, 2008

You both need to read your job duties. Are you a combined PS HS room? Who pays whom and who supervises who. Get the basics down, and them you can negociate.

5. pre-k13

pre-k13 Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

Wow...I'm sorry. I had issues with my special needs assistant when I started my new job, but nothing to that extent. I agree that you need to do your research first. Figure out what your responsibilities are as well as hers and lay those out straight forward.

Do you have a good relationship with your principal? My issues were with a board employee rather than a Head Start employee, but my principal told me it didn't matter. He told me he backed his teachers all the way. Things eventually got better for me, but my principal made it clear that if they didn't, the assistant would be the one transferred somewhere else and that my job was not in jeopardy. If it comes down to it, you can just say that your personalities don't mesh well and that you feel the issues this is causing are not only affecting your teaching, but the success of the children as well. That way it is not putting blame on her and you are taking some of the blame yourself. Just so you know, though, you have every right to be upset. I just don't understand people sometimes...it's like they don't even think of how their actions affect other people.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2008

WOW! I would start off by saying that your student's needs are always a high consideration and it is with this mindset that you must bring up...

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2008

Get a job description for both of you, first.
    Then, begin your meeting with what I said above.
    Good luck; it sounds like you have the aide from 7734!

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 10, 2008

If it is a Head Start field trip, I don't think parents are supposed to be charged. There should be a fund for such things.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 10, 2008

I'm SO upset that I'm not able to think clearly right now. :banghead: I was SO hopeful that this year my new aide would be great. So far, she wants to be the teacher and fights me on nearly everything. She came in before school began and started moving all my centers around. Ok, not a biggy, I'm up for new ideas, but stopped her after moving 3 centers. But then, she wrote her name and then "teacher" under it and put it outside the door. When I told her that I had a problem with that, and my principal would also have a problem, she told me that in Head Start, her title was "teacher" not "aide". I compromised and let her put Name, Head Start Teacher.

I admit, it is hard going to a new teacher and sometimes we can be a bit defensive and over the top in an effort to make sure we have some of the same privileges (for the lack of a better word) that we had before. I tend have a "student teacher" type of a personality as well. Even so, this is petty and I think highly of you for even tolerating it. Obviously it shows you want this relationship to work.

I've tried including her in my planning, putting her name on all our schedules, etc. to make her feel part of the team, but now she's withholding information about students, making me look bad to parents, taking over parent conversations, and saying inappropriate things to people (teachers and parents). One of my parents made a formal complaint about her this week.

Can I come work for you? I love a teacher that is willing to include me in all of those things. It does make a difference for me. I might accidentally forget to tell my teacher stuff but never on purpose and that is very uncalled for. That's not petty.

The last straw was when I asked her to give me signed permission slips for our upcoming field trip next week, she told me that it was a Head Start program and she couldn't. I told her that it was a school field trip, I was the teacher responsible for the students and that I needed the permission slips and names of parents who were going. Not only has she NOT done it, she took the folder home with the parent's money. I'm livid.

This point will likely make your director's jaw drop as well. I would never even contemplate taking money home! WOW! Either she isn't all that smart about what is expected of staff in general and especially her or she has some issues.

I have a meeting scheduled with the principal, the head start coordinator for this area and her on Monday. I have to come up with a "list" of grievances. So far, the list looks like a sheet of petty gripes. It's not that any one of the things (except this last one) is horrible by itself, it's the mere number of things that is overwhelming to me. She is passive/agressive and I can't prove some of the things that are going on. I wish I had a list of HS's job description and list of duties for a HS "teacher", then maybe I could make a list that looked more professional.

My teachers do not have my list either. I think that is very interesting considering how wide our perspectives are of this job from person to person. I handed out a list of 23 duties to 3 teams (workshop). One team said only 3 of those duties were appropriate for aides. Another team had decided that 20 out of 23 duties were appropriate for aides. WOW! This is in the same school! Our basic job duties should at least be known to one another.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2008

Cut-
    In my district we all have a big fat district handbook of policies, procedures and job descriptions OF EVERYONE...so we should all be on the same page...and when and if we're not we can refer to the book! ;)

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2008

I agree! We don't have one; and I really wish we did; I so want us all to be on the same page at my school!

12. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Oct 10, 2008

You need a HS teacher handbook! hehehe
    Kids come first but you can't teach respect in a classroom where the teachers can't respect each other, not that you aren't working VERY hard at that (I know you are).
    Hang in there.

13. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Oct 11, 2008

THANK YOU for your support. I feel slightly better this morning. I had dinner and a movie with a teacher friend last night and was able to finish my vent and now can start composing my list.

This is the first year we have teamed with HS. We were told nothing, except that we would have HS aides this year and LOTS of support. Do any of you know the difference between a HS aide and a HS teacher? I was told that the only difference was the title because a HS teacher had a 2 year degree, but I don't know if there's anything else. (You thought I was going to tell a joke, didn't you? :rolleyes:)

With that said, I think I will make my list for the aides I've had for 3 years.

CutNGlue - Wanna move to Oklahoma? I'd love to have a team player.... the only problem is that HS hires their own people and I work for the school district.... Another problem on who is the boss? Is it the principal or the coordinator?

Gotta run.... observing a Ready for Kindergarten class today!! After that, I'll work on my list and bounce it off you guys! You guys are GREAT! :thanks:

14. pre-k13

pre-k13 Rookie

Oct 11, 2008

It is most likely different from state to state, or maybe even district to district. My teacher's aid is hired by Head Start and she is required to have a 2 year degree. I don't think I really understand the difference between a Head Start teacher and a Head Start aide. We don't have those. Lead teachers have a 4 year degree and are hired by the school board where I live. Is this the only person in your classroom with you or do you have a school board hired aide as well?

The way I have been told, the principal is the boss of the school. So even if he/she is not your aide's boss, he/she still has the final say in what takes place within the school.

This is a very tough situation, though. Just make sure that you go into your meeting prepared and don't become intimidated. If you offer up your grievances in a professional and logical way, then there will be no choice except to at least see your point of view in some aspects. Good luck!

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2008

I agree with PreK13!
    Don't forget to keep us posted. I wish you well. :love:

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 11, 2008

I believe some things need to be flexible. We have 4 or 5 different kinds of paras with different kinds of duties and challenges. While we could categorize them, it depends really on what kind of students we get, what kind of classroom set up we need among all different kinds of variables. There needs to be room for flexibility.

Having said that, I absolutely agree that we need a handbook of some sort. It's amazing how the job advertisement (the one people go by because it is online and accessible) is different from the paper I sign at the beginning of the year. My first year I didn't even get that.

Ready for the shocker? When I taught that workshop last spring, the middle school principal came. She was disappointed because I didn't outline the duties. The workshop wasn't about that. I told her that I can't do that since there are no clear guidelines at this school and every school is different. There are a wide range of duties. I'm not the boss so I can't tell everyone what to do. She was so disappointed that I ended up telling her I would go home and research some different schools and put together a list with the understanding that it may or may not fit our school's needs. She was clueless as to how to use aides. Not only did she admit that several times, but her group gave the lowest number of checkmarks as to what aides can do. Then she admitted she was floundering because her aides weren't being used well and she didn't know how to use them. Another team, some of who work in the same school, gave a much higher range of jobs that aides can do.

I don't really have a point to all that rambling. It was just an eye opener for me.

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 11, 2008

TGI,
    I think the problem is much more basic than you realize.

This is just an "outside looking in" opinion.

She's been told she is a co-teacher -- equal in every way to you.

You've been told she is an aide, and that you have the ultimate responsibility for the classroom (the procedures, the children's safety, communication with parents, etc etc.)

I think that rather than presenting a list of greivances, I'd go into this meeting wanting some very clear answers to these questions:

1. What is a clearly-defined list of each person's duties, responsibilities, and boundaries.

2. Who is responsible for each aspect of the job: parent contact, attendance, collection and deposit of money, supervision of field trip records, etc etc. Don't accept "You work together to..." Tell them you need it clearly spelled out so that you can both make sure that everything is done and that everyone is informed.

I was in a similar situation once. I was told one thing. The other person was told something completely different. Then we were thrown into a room together, each believing we were totally right and the other person was totally unhinged! That is the fault of poor administration. Put the problem back where it belongs -- on the administration -- to be clear about the expectations and assignment of duties.

18. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Oct 11, 2008

CutNGlue - I think not knowing what duties are expected of a Head Start employee, whether an aide or a HS teacher is a huge problem here. If you still have those lists.... could I get a copy to look at?

Rainstorm - It goes together with what you have said, too. I think this person who is supposed to be helping me has taken her "teacher" title to mean that she is a "co-teacher" and that she has the same responsibilities as I do and that she shouldn't be expected to do anything "less" than a teacher or to share any information with me about "her" students. (something I find amusing.... I overheard her lecturing one of my students, who had gotten into my teacher chair in our circle, about how to be the teacher you had to go to 4 years of college and get a teaching certificate.... duh! I don't even think she understands how much more you have to do than that! AND way over the head of a 4 year old!)

I would never presume to ask her to do anything I wouldn't do, HOWEVER, I'm through being the only one who is cleaning tables (including hers) every evening, making all the copies, putting out daily work, laminating activities, collecting all the materials for our centers, doing all the lesson plans, teaching all the academics, implementing all the classroom management/procedures and watching her "play" with the children, fill in her LAP-D forms, text on her phone, and do whatever is easy with the students while ignoring things I've asked her to do. I even re-did our schedule so she would have time to "teach" self-help skills, handwashing and toothbrushing..... which she has NOT done. I plan to include the fact that I'm not going to plan her HS lessons for her. I am exhausted just thinking about all of this.

I WILL continue to wipe noses and tears, put bandaids on boo-boos, to hug and hold hands because "I like being affectionate to people I like". I will continue to read to the students with emotion and funny voices to get and keep their interest in a good book. I will continue to teach them higher level thinking, and reading, writing and math skills that may not really be developmentally appropriate sometimes but required by the state. AND I've decided I won't let someone take over my classroom and lower the educational expectations that I have for my students. This might be a bumpy ride....

AND THANK YOU for letting me ramble so that I can get to a place I can put thoughts on a page that will sound professional, logical, and responsible... not petty.

(czacza - I'm finally to a point where I can re-start my list in a less-emotional, more professional way. soon....)

I can't thank you enough for your positive input and support (along with some ideas that I hadn't thought of yet.) :thanks:

19. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Oct 14, 2008

Thanks!! Things are better now!!

:thanks:I wanted to thank you guys for supporting me. I was away from my computer on Sunday, but worked on my list. After getting to vent to you, I was able to work on my list to collect my thoughts and put them in a more logical and less emotional way. Although it ended up three pages including examples. I ended up talking about several different forms of poor communication that we have. (only about the first page or so)

She did not deny any of it. The person that oversees the HS program has been shadowing her since the parent complaint so I didn't need to say as much as I thought I would.

In the end (and the short version), my principal very openly and very bluntly told me (in front of my aide) that I was the teacher of my room, that I was responsible for what went on in there, and that I was responsible for everything to do with my students. Then she told me that my "aide" was there to support me and follow my lead.

I wanted to jump up and down and celebrate (and did thank her later), but just told her that I understood and would get back to the business of children.

Afterwards, I talked to my aide, wiped the slate clean and made a promise to each other to move on. I will, but will also be a little wary for awhile. I still think she wants to run my room, but will be a little more subtle about it - I hope I'm wrong.

So, after lonnnnng day on a Field Trip to the Pumpkin Patch, it's been a couple of good days. Yipee that Fall Break starts at 3:15 tomorrow!! Thanks again!!:)

20. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Oct 15, 2008

The Lead Teacher of a room must have at least a 2 year degree in ECE. An assistant only needs a CDA but can be hired in with only a high school diploma provided he/she begins the CDA process within the first six months I believe. HOWEVER, an assistant may be hired in with the exact same degree as the lead teacher. It depends on what position is open when they're hiring.

In regard to job duties, Lead teachers do developmental screening, lesson planning, etc. Assistants pretty much do most of the same but are not required to do the screenings and reporting.

The pay is quite a bit different which sucks for those of us who do all the duties of the Lead Teacher plus those designated for the assistant. The entire, teacher vs. assistant title has been a big burr under my saddle for YEARS. If we're all doing the same thing, we should all just simply be "Teachers." :sorry: I got a little off the message of my thread.

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2008

TGI - I'm so glad to hear your meeting went well! Yay!

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 15, 2008

As far as actual duties, there isn't much difference in what a teacher and an aide can do, according to some of my research. Each school has a different culture and different policies. Otherwise most of it is up to the team. The big difference has to do with exactly what you said...Legal Responsibility. At the end of the day, the teacher is legally responsible for what goes on in the classroom and making sure needs and requirements are met. There are a few other legal responsibilities involved as well.

For example, in some schools the aide can make phone calls to parents (under the teacher's supervision...that doesn't mean the teacher necessarily has to always be standing there). In other schools that would be very forbidden. In my perception, I can't believe that's allowed. So we all have our own perceptions of the job. The school culture, our experiences and the school's policy makes up what a teacher aide can do.

Because a teacher is legally responsible, the teacher ultimately makes the final decisions.

So the P is absolutely correct. You, the teacher, are responsible for what goes on and she is there to support you.

My teacher last year allowed me to make a lot of the decisions but ultimately when she said "no," I understood her/my role. She always considered my feedback whether she chose to accept it at that time or not. She didn't have to do that, but she gained my respect for it and I was comfortable working with her. It's hard working "under" someone directly all day.

23. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 15, 2008

Cut n glue,
    You make some excellent points -- as usual. I'd like to just add this. I am a teacher. I have paraprofessionals, who are called "teacher's aides." That is their title. I'm frankly surprised by one of the posters who said everyone should be called a "teacher."

What is wrong with being a teacher's aide? It isn't demeaning. It isn't meant to be "less." It is simply a title. The title makes it clear to parents what the role of each person in the classroom is. Parents need to know clearly who is legally incharge of a classroom, and that person is generally given the title of Teacher.

In our school, we use the title Classroom Teacher. Parents know that the person called the "Classroom Teacher" is the person legally in charge (with all the liabilities and responsibilities that go along with it.)

Special Education Teachers, Gifted Resource Teachers, Reading Specialists may all be certified teachers, but they are not the classroom teacher. They work collaboratively and cooperatively, but each has her (or his) own defined role, responsibilities, and duties. None of us is "more" or "less" because only one has the title of "classroom teacher." It simply makes it clear what each person's tasks are. The Reading Specialist and the Resource Teachers are actualy "higher up" the administrative pole than a classroom teacher -- they make more money, and they report to people at a higher level -- but that doesn't make them the classroom teacher. They understand who has the role to organize the class, deal directly with the parents complaints, and make sure certain tasks, goals, and objectives are achieved.

I personally just don't get it. I think teacher's aides are fabulous! I can't imagine running my class without their support. But they are not "the teacher." The legal responsibility lies with me. Calling everyone who works with kids "teacher" is confusing to parents.

If a parent were to approach my teacher's aide about a problem, she might listen sympathetically, but then she'd say "I"m the classroom aide. You need to talk to the classroom teacher." And then she'd assist them in finding me, getting a call from me, or setting up an appointment time. If it was an immediate problem, she'd help them track me down.

If a parent were to approach our Reading Specialist, she would probably listen sympathetically, if she knew information that would helps she would probably provide it (and let me know later exactly what she said) and then would say "I'm the reading specialist. You need to talk with the classroom teacher about that." And then she'd help them find me, set up an appointment, or arrange for me to call them back. If it was an immediate problem, she'd help them track me down.

It is all part of any business world -- there is a chain of command and a chain of responsibility. Whenever people step outside of that, it causes problems. Stepping outside of it to deal with an emergency situation is one thing, but routinely stepping outside of it, causes problems on an on-going basis.

It isn't a matter of "everybody should be equal," or "everybody should have respect." It is simply a matter of clarity and defined responsibilities.

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 15, 2008

When I was a secretary, I had more autonomy than I do now. Both times I was under someone's direction. When I was a secretary, I had things to do and I did what needed to be done. I had my own working style and way of getting things done. Now I am much more micromanaged. THAT is the hard part of being a teacher's aide. We see things all the time and if we have the ability to make the smaller decisions that don't ultimately affect the class, then things are okay. If I still have a part of my soul and my working style then I LOVE my job and love my role. I'm now seeing a different perspective. The conflict, for me, is when there isn't a consideration on BOTH adults. A lot depends on who we are paired with (it goes both ways). Yes, the teacher has a certain level of responsibility and the roles ARE different, BUT I'm also still an adult. I still have thoughts, opinions and my own way of doing things. I don't mind doing the TASKS others need me to do. I don't even mind that someone else has the final decision making power but in the end, remember that I'm not another kid to micromanage and I do like to be respected and listened to.

I could go on, but I think I'll stop there. I love my job. It's just important that the team fits.

P.S. I don't care about the title.

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 16, 2008

I was thinking about this thread today. I wanted to clarify that my response was a direct PERSONAL response to some questions Rainstorm asked. It is not a reflection of the original post nor is it a reflection of how I view the job all of the time. It's just always been my firm belief that personality and working styles do play into this job and the dynamics do change how people feel about their job. That goes for any job really. It isn't demeaning per say but it can be an issue of working style conflicts if we have to follow someone else's at the expense of our own. (Not talking about tasks). Again, it's personal at the moment so take that answer with a grain of salt. It is not a reflection on the original post.

26. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 21, 2008

Wow, it seems like she wants to be the one in control of the classroom. Can you hire someone else, who will actually do her/his duties instead of stepping on your toes? Looks like she is unsure of her job responsibilities and does not know what is expected of her.

Just so I know, since I am a teacher's aide too, what exactly are the responsibilities? I seriously do not want this to happen to me or the lead teacher! I want to make a good professional impression on the teacher, the children and the parents.:thumb:

I was a volunteer preschool teacher's aide before I got hired. So hopefully my experience will help me and the preschool greatly!

I hope you get this problem sorted out soon. Best wishes!

27. missrachel

missrachel New Member

Oct 22, 2008

I took over a HS classroom with an aide who was acting as supervising teacher before I arrived. She takes over the class all the time without checking with me. For example, she'll decide randomly that we're going outside at the end of the day instead of doing music/dance. She also takes over with parents, talks about me with other teachers and my supervisor, and she's very rude to me and refuses to make any changes. Almost every idea I have is shot down. But, when it comes to lesson plans, paperwork, and stuff like that, it's all on me even though in our job descriptions she's supposed to help. It's very frustrating b/c I'm new and don't feel I have any support from my supervisor who's known the aide for 4 years and me for 4 weeks.

Well, I know I can't quit but I can barely stand it! Her attitude towards me is unbearable. I can't teach and improve the classroom without support. I just thought our situations seemed similar, and I'm so sorry for you!

Anyone have any more advice?

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 22, 2008

As much as I can honestly say that I made decisions, etc, I would NEVER presume to change the classes entirely. Wow! In our school it is not our job description to help with lesson planning which is why I have the reputation of "taking over." My teacher liked my feedback but everyone else had an opinion. My new teachers don't want any feedback. I admit, after 3 years of doing it the other way..it was hard to adapt. I am finally settling into the groove of doing it as I am instructed BUT ironically they complain to others that I'm not the "wow" hard working above and beyond aide they heard I was. I work my assigned hours, but I am no longer working over or motivated nor compelled to reach for the stars.

I am afraid to talk to parents and it isn't my role.

OUCH. I just read the 4 weeks part. Speaking from experience, it may be a power rebellion because things are changing and feels out of control. She may (or may not) settle in later.

Have you had an orientation with her to discuss what you need from the program, what you need from her, what you are flexible with and what she likes to do, etc? (in a non-threatening way of course).

Also speaking from experience, if you have an aide that had all that leeway and power before and you want them to suddenly fit in a nutshell, it's rather hard to do and is hard to accept emotionally. Meet her half way. That may help.

29. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 22, 2008

No one likes to be stuffed into a nutshell. I can't say that stuffing is the best way to deal with anyone.

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 23, 2008

I had to go back and reread this post. I had a lot of side vents myself and responded a lot to the post before me instead of the big picture. I am glad it worked out. Again, I still say ask her what she enjoys doing most and work with her but don't let her take over your role. I'm glad the boss supported you on this!!

If anyone is interested I have a couple of resources:

The Virginia Paraprofessional (WRONG WORD) Guide
    to Supervision and Collaboration with Paraprofessionals: A Partnership

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/newvdoe/paraprofessional-manual.pdf

It is one school's handbook. It is 60 pages but it has A LOT of good stuff in it including forms to help clear up communication.

http://www.nrcpara.org/training/supervision
    http://www.eric.ed.gov:80/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/15/fe/2c.pdf

This is a $25 book from the National Resource Center for Paraprofessionals. It is written from a trainer's perspective but it also has great information and forms. The first link is where to order it. The second link is a PDF where someone scanned a few sample pages from the book. It's not the best but it's a free preview. I had the book (hubby accidentally threw it away) and I'm using the "learning style" worksheet at our Aide PLC workshop in November. That worksheet is one of the samples. I am also using the "working style" worksheet but it is not listed as a sample. My favorite was a worksheet about 23 duties. I asked teams to work together (teachers and aides, not the ones they work with) and discuss which of the 23 duties they thought aides could do. One team only checked 3 duties. Another team checked 20 duties!! My whole point, as well as the book's was perception is varied and communication and clarification is key.