I'm signed up for subbing!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by shurweee, Jun 15, 2010.

1. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Jun 15, 2010

As of right now, I've been selected in the substitute pool for two different districts! I really hope that the jobs flow in consistently :D

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

That's great! I hope you get as many jobs as you want!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2010

Great, have fun!

5. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Jun 15, 2010

How have your experiences with being substitutes been?

6. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 16, 2010

Good luck!! That's always exciting.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 16, 2010

Overall, subbing's been good to me. I've worked enough to pay my bills. I've been blessed to have numerous long-term assignments throughout the yrs. Good luck to you! :)

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

Congratulations to you shurweee!

9. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

Congrats!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

shurweee- make yourself indispensible. Follow the regular teacher's plans, bring back up stuff (read alouds, math card games, etc). On prep periods, stop by the office and see if there's anything you can do to help out- run copies, drop something off at a classroom. Leave positive notes for the teacher, manage the classroom in a positive, effective manner. Thank the office staff, custodians, grade level partners, principal for any help provided.
    Subbing is a great resume builder, exposes you to many different grade levels and school climates. Make the most of this time. :thumb:

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

I agree with all you said czacza, but... doesn't this come off as sorta brown-nosing? When I first started subbing, people said I should do this too, so I did. And most of the time, they have a kid doing all this sort of stuff anyway. And (moreso), I would get a weird reaction like a "why is he here asking if I need any help with anything" look, if you know what I mean. Then you visit a few times and keep asking (to help), and you sorta start to feel like some shleprock, lingering around and asking to help constantly.

And besides 100% of the time, they said they didn't need my help, so I just stopped asking.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

I would go in and ask. Maybe if one particular school always said no, you wouldn't need to keep asking them-but ask if you go to a new school. I'm moving in September and plan to sub when I get there. If I don't have a job subbing, I'm going to go up to schools just to volunteer. The more they see you, and the more helpful you are-the more likely you are to get a job there (if that's what your goal is).

13. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jul 12, 2010

That's true about the volunteering thing, the teachers and the principal will see your dedication to the school (and the district at large) and appreciate all your help.

14. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jul 20, 2010

Congrats!

I agree about volunteering. I did for a year and got to know the principal and ap really well. Now that I'm in their sub pool, I'm hoping they'll call me when they need someone.

15. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

How long did it take everyone to get called for an interview?

16. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I have applied to 5 districts.

For district 1, I took the info to the administration office and they told me to take it to a principal at one of the elementaries who organizes the subs for an interview. I called him that day, set up an interview for a few days later, and went. He didn't ask me any teaching philosophy questions or anything--he just made sure he had all of the right paperwork. He offered me a position as a title II & III paraprofessional, but it was full-time and I am in college so I had to say no. I want to sub anyway so I get more different experiences; I love variety!

For district 2, I took in all of the info to the admn office, and they told me when the sub orientation was. It was planned for today (one week after I gave them my info), and the info for the orientation was also on their website.

For district 3, I took in all of the info and they said if they were interested they'd send a letter for an interview. I received the letter about 2-3 weeks after I took in all of the info, and then I called them back. They said it was more of a group interview/ppt orientation, not a one-on-one interview. Whew! It is scheduled for Aug. 9.

For dist. 4, I took in all of the info and they said they will have a workshop to bring in all of the info to. They said the workshop date will be posted on their website late July/early Aug. (I had been in there early June) I still haven't seen the date for the workshop, but that is how that one works.

For dist. 5, I took in all of the info and they said they have orientations once or twice a month and they will give me a call when they know when the next one is so I can attend.

:D

17. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

Wow Mizz Karen, looks like you really lucked out!

The district I applied to is a large metropolitan district. I had to fill out a form online and didn't have to submit my resume.

I hope it doesn't take longer than 2 months to hear back.

18. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jul 27, 2010

I loved subbing. I would take sick time or vacation time off from my old job just to sub. Being male; I got a lot of middle/high school calls.

One thing that I found very helpful was printing my own business cards. I would leave them with the front desk, in the teachers mailboxes, and on the lounge bulletin board. I would always leave one on the desk of the teacher that I was subbing for too. I think I could have worked everyday.
    Good Luck! Get to know the school staff and the work will flow.

19. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 13, 2010

I agree. Why should I do more than what's asked of me?