I'm Sharing... My Beginning of the Year brochure

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by TeacherRW, Jul 12, 2006.

1. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 12, 2006

This is what I give out to my parents the night of our OPEN HOUSE. I have it printed on bright computer paper and will be adding a couple of stickers to "personalize" it a bit. I created it in MS by simply creating a landscape page and using 2 columns. I'm sorry that I am cutting & pasting right now but I haven't uploaded it to the webpage that I am currently creating.

Welcome to 5th Grade!!!

The information contained in this brochure is intended to be a brief overview of procedures and expectations in Mrs. W.’s Room. All information will be reviewed at length with students during the first several days of school. I look forward to working with each and every one of you. By working together (parents, students, & teachers), we will have a wonderful year.

Arrival Procedure…
    Students should not arrive to school before 8:00AM as there is no supervision until then. Upon arriving at school, students are expected to enter the NW doors by the music rooms or the NE doors by the playground. They are to proceed into the Multi-Purpose Room area to wait until they are dismissed. Students are not allowed to enter the school through the main doors nor are they allowed to enter through the preschool/first grade wing until after 8:10 AM. Students will have time to take monies & notes down to the office during our morning procedures’ time period.

Dismissal Procedure…
    Students will be dismissed at 2:50 PM through the main doors by the office. Please tell your child how s/he will be returning home from school before they come to school. If you have several children at our school, please help them to determine a pre-arranged place to meet located outside of the school building. As all students have different dismissal exits, it is not possible for students to walk freely throughout the building to “pick-up” others. It is with this procedure that we are able to keep traffic moving smoothly through the hallways.

Nutrition Break…
    Students have the option of having milk or juice for a mid-morning break. This will need to be ordered through the office for either semester or both semesters. Snacks are allowed during this time as long as they are nutritious in nature. I strongly urge you to send fruits or vegetables with your child for this break. Our growing bodies and learning minds need optimal fuel… and fruits-n-veggies have it! During the first couple days of school, students will learn to read food labels with assistance from a certified dietician so that they know what is an “OK” snack option if fruits or veggies are not selected.

Water Bottles…
    I do allow and encourage students to bring water bottles into the classroom. Studies show that our children do not drink enough water to keep their bodies fully hydrated. Students should bring their bottles home a couple of times a week to be washed and sanitized.

Birthday Treats…
    Birthdays are still celebrated in 5th grade. Students may bring in a treat to share with the class on their special day or on their “half”-birthday. During this celebration, the healthy snack policy is not enforced. Please include any utensils or paper products (napkins, plates, glasses) necessary for the treats. For ease of distribution, I strongly suggest getting individually-portioned treats or pre-packaged treats. Please also keep in mind that in school we try to build a family of support and inclusion. I will not allow students to bring in and distribute party invitations to select members of the classroom. Unless the whole class is invited, please distribute invitations in a different manner outside of the school environment.

Supplies…
    I trust that you were able to find the school supplies requested for our classroom. Please contact me if there are questions or concerns regarding them. As supplies are depleted (especially pencils), please replenish them for your child as it is essential to complete schoolwork in a timely and efficient manner.

Parent Signatures/Initials…
    You will see that I frequently ask for parent signatures/initials. It is not intended to make more work for busy parents. The request is made so that I *know* you are getting vital information and/or are aware of expectations & upcoming events. It helps to open the line of communication between parent & teacher as well as parent & student.

Planners…
    Students will receive a schoolwork/communication planner just as in the previous years. Students will be responsible for bringing their planner to & from school on a daily basis. All activities/tasks assigned or worked on during the day will be written in the planner. Homework will be highlighted so that parents know what needs to be completed. Upon completion of the work, I ask that parents verify it by initialing the planner on a daily basis. You may choose to initial each individual task or initial/sign at the bottom of the column.

Schoolwork vs. Homework…
    On a daily basis, students will be practicing their skills through a variety of means. One way to check individual progress is through the assigning of schoolwork. Schoolwork is work that is assigned at school to be completed partially, if not fully, within the classroom setting. In some cases, a student will not get his/her schoolwork done; that work then is sent home as homework. The math and spelling curriculums that have been adopted for use in our district have several key components. The most powerful component is the homework/parent involvement piece, I believe. The worksheets that are sent home are to be completed with the help/supervision of a parent. I ask that parents sign/initial these worksheets (Study Links-math and Take Home Tasks-spelling) to verify that the work was completed at home and with a parent. There is a “Study Link” (math) for every lesson that is taught so you should see these pages coming home almost every night as it is my goal to work through an entire lesson each day. There is only one “Take Home Task” (spelling) per unit of study; you will see that coming home once a week typically. On all schoolwork and homework, D’Nealian cursive is typically required. Schoolwork/homework is due the following day unless otherwise noted in your child’s planner.

Leaving School for Appointments…
    Please make sure that you send a note or call in to the school to notify us of any absences during the school day. Students can not be released until they have been signed out by a responsible adult. Upon return to school, it is asked that you bring your child back into the building & sign him/her in.

Student Phone Calls/Messages…
    Students will not be allowed to make phone calls to parents during or after the school day to make arrangements or clarify afterschool plans. Please make sure that your child is aware of afternoon/evening plans before coming to school. I ask that you not call the office and leave messages for your child except in cases of dire emergency. When the office staff receives these calls, they need to interrupt the classroom to pass on the message. This results in a disruption of learning time for all children in the classroom. Please note: I will have students call home if they have forgotten something of extreme importance such as conference slips or lunch money.

Absences…
    If you know of planned absences due to family events, please notify me as soon as possible. We can work out an arrangement for missing schoolwork and activities so that your child does not fall behind.

Contacting Mrs. W. …
    Should you need to initiate contact with me, please do so in one of the following ways:
    • Email me at _____________________,
    • Send me a note by placing it directly in your child’s planner or on another piece of paper, or
    • Call & leave a voice mail. My voicemail number is ____________. I am available during school hours from approximately 7:45AM- 3:30PM.
    • Please refrain from calling my home residence as calls will not be accepted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

I look forward to working with you and your child during this wonderful school year.

3. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 12, 2006

Great idea! Thank you for sharing!

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

Wow- I may be stealing that :) Thanks for sharing!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

That is wonderful, TeacherRW. Just wondering - do you not have a problem with tardy kids?

6. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 13, 2006

We rarely have tardy students. Well, I guess, there are habitually tardy students, yes. The office staff and our principal deal with those kiddos as they enter the school. In our school handbook, there is a policy about kids being tardy to school due to illness or appointments. I just don't reiterate it in my newsletter. The biggest problems I address in my brochure even though our principal has already brought it to light in the handbook. The one thing that drives me crazy is our arrival procedures. Our parents think their kiddos should be able to walk through any door they want to. And, often, teachers do not enforce the procedures so some students "get by" with it. I am like the door drill sergeant. I stand by our main entrance and do the hand/arm signal to let students know that they need to continue travelling outside to the proper door. Ugghh... even in the winter, if properly dressed, walking that extra 20 yards shouldn't be a problem.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2006

Thanks for sharing! It has motivated me to start thinking about my brochure which needs updating since last year!! Along with my brochure, I usually send home a magnet with my name, school phone, voicemail, and email on it for parents to stick on the fridge.

8. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jul 13, 2006

Missy where do you buy the magnets?

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2006

akbeck98,
    I should have been more specific. I print up the information on labels and stick them on a magnet. Hope this helps!

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 13, 2006

That is such a cute idea!