I'm scared!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by MissErin, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 26, 2008

Hey MissErin, do you have any Debbie Clement CDs for your class? She's a local gal and she does workshops for preschool/preK teachers. My favorite song she has is "I Think You're Wonderful" with sign language. The kids enjoy really enjoy it!

2. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 26, 2008

When I worked for Migrant Head Start, I would go to the Early Childhood Conferences at the Columbus Convention Center. Debbit Clement presented at some sessions there. She is WONDERFUL!!

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 26, 2008

She did a workshop for my Head Start two years ago. Loved it! :) She is so talented. :)

4. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 28, 2008

That was wicked helpful!!! Thanks Master Pre-K (now we know why they call you Master):lol:

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

oh thanks kseed...

really, it is just my job title..

Master Pre-K Teacher

that is, whenever I get a job again... :rolleyes:

eta to add... I am thankful for the compliment!

6. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I do not have any Debbie Clement CDS. I just downloaded one of Dr. Jeans, I will check into Debbie. I didn't recognize you at first Zelda, because of your new avatar! =)

7. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I've never taught middle school (my student teaching and course work have all been done at the high school level) so I'm really nervous about my first job. I've been working on familiarizing myself with the state standards for 7th grade, but I don't know what books I'll be working with or what the curriculum looks like at my school.

To make things a little more interesting, both 7th grade ELA teachers from last year are now moving to 5th grade so at least I could ask them for help.

I don't even know what to teach the first day!!!!

Okay, I'm done freaking out... for now ;)

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

Rules, and respect and your relationship. Basic organization skills. Set up temporary seating chart. Show them where they put their coats, etc. Practice lining up, and walking down the hall, and going to the restroom. Practice going to gym, art, library, etc. Tell them this is what you expect, and nothing less.

Don't smile until Christmas!

Seriously...

This is the time to teach classroom management. The one thing admin frowns on is noisy classes in the hall. Teach them emergency drills. How to use the intercom. Your rules for the class. Set up procedures for collecting lunch/trip/book club money. In fact, put them in charge, they can handle this! Practice calling them by rows. Tell them about fire drills, assemblies, and getting used to visitors in the class. Tell them you expect them to be on your best behavior for subs.

Then give them something fun to do. A good ice breaker is people bingo. Make a bingo chart, and write in characteristics, hobbies, unique things. My favorite color is blue, I have a dog, I have two sisters. When you say go, they must find someone to sign their name on the spot. They can only ask someone one question. The first one to get bingo wins. (have some prizes!) It is a great way to get them up, and make friends. they will get to know each other a bit better! You can sort out some things on your desk, or join them!

Walk around the building, and come back. Praise them for walking quietly in the hall. They will feel good about that. Tell them about new school rules, lunch cards, etc. Assign someone to hand out parent notes. Tell them you won't give out prizes for everything, but you may give out something to those who return these parent notes! Review your quiet signal. Talk about consequences.

That should cover a half a day!