I'm sad about my afterschool program not being taken seriously by the staff

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2012

We operate as soon as school gets out until 6 pm. This is our second year and it's running a thousand times smoother than last year. We have two new people on our team who run the kinder/1st grade group.

Last year, we had some difficulties, but that's going to happen with a brand new spanking program. It also doesn't help that only two of us have experience working with kids. The others are either just doing it while they are in college or are trying to figure their life out. But overall, we did our best. In fact, the afterschool program is located at two others sites and my director told me in confidence that we are her star team.

Anyways, last year, though, there were TONS of staff members telling lies to the kids about how we are incompetent, let the kids do whatever they want, and so on. One yard duty subbed for our program when one of our coworkers quit his job to go work for a bank (he had a masters in business). She told his kids that he was fired for being incompetent.

This year, the rumors are still going on. A tree was vandalized and rumor is that we did it. I'm SOOOOO tired of this. I've taught in a classroom for 6 years, successfully. I know how to deal with kids, what is allowed, not allowed, etc. I'm the team leader and I work hard to make sure my staff is acting appropriately and that their kids are too.

We keep getting blamed for things that are out of our control or rumors and gossips are going around. Teachers hate us because we have the moeny for really nice things (they were talking about us and one of my team members heard...). It's annoying. And I'm sick and tired of it.

Oh, and our janitor has to secretly vacuum our floors even though my director is paying for that service because the head custodian HATES US and told him to not vacuum our floor.... this school is ridiculous.

Sorry for my long rant. I just had to get this all off of my chest.

I am just tired of feeling so resented... smiling at a teacher and having her look past me... worried about the next new rumor that will go around about us. I've never been treated like this before. I love this program but I hate the teachers and staff at this school and I hate feeling that way. :(

It's funny, I run a pretty tight program too. The principal knows it. I finally broke down and told my supervisor all of this and she poke to the principal. She told my supervisor that she was sorry we felt this way, that she appreciates us.... She came by my classroom two times the next day. The first time was when my kids were diong AR for their homework, all were reading quietly. And the next time was when we were learning how to make onigiri (Japanese rice balls, since is Japanese week).

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 28, 2012

Wow, that's awful. At least you know you're doing something good for the kids.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2012

YMCA after school program?

If so, they're idiots. We have a YMCA after school program and they are very helpful and supportive of what I do in my classroom. I wish all of my students went there after school rather than get picked up to go wherever.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2012

It's not YMCA but similar. It's called ASES.

We work very hard and so yes, I agree they are idiots. :(

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

Peachy~I'm sorry that the teachers aren't taking you seriously. :(

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

I'm sorry! It's hard to really understand what is going on somewhere when you don't make an effort to go. Keep doing what you are doing and be proud!

8. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 28, 2012

My daughter attended YMCA after school in elementary. They were awesome!!!! I'm sorry you have to put up with this kind of treatment.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 28, 2012

The teachers should appreciate you because
    - you provide a safe place for the children after school
    - you provide a place for them to do home work and you actually help them
    - you provide a firm structure that is probably a continuation of what is going on in school

If anything they should be trying to have you guys work together, since you can really help them out, by making sure the kids get their homework done, they're prepared for the next day, etc.
    If you have parents pick up the kids, you probably have more parent contact than the teachers, which can also be utilized.

I wouldn't want to put up with that and would go to my supervisor. Those teachers are unprofessional.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2012

I am so sorry that you are treated this way. I know I worked 1-on-1 with a special needs child in a posh afterschool care during the summer and one father told his daughters that we were glorified babysitters.

I was an assistant director of a YMCA daycare/after school care in a school and they treated us really well. I was even asked to go into a classroom to show the teacher the strategies that we use with one student with autism.

Maybe you could ask the principal to go to a staff meeting to talk about your programming and the social and academic skills you are working on with their students.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2012

I actually really like this idea!! I could start collecting students work, take photos, and create a college type thing or slideshow to show what we do.

At my last school, the principal worked hard to involve the afterschool staff in meetings, activities, staff parties, etc. They were part of the family. I'll ask my principal about that. Good idea!

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 28, 2012

Don't let them get you down Peachy. You're doing an amazing thing here. Don't let a few resentful bitter jerks ruin it for the kids because all they are thinking about is themselves. What you're doing sounds exciting! Have fun with it and ignore the rumors. Maybe have your students try to spread the rumor about the awesome things you guys do in your program. =]