I'm really thinking too hard about this.

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by tashamama, Apr 29, 2014.

1. tashamama

tashamama Rookie

Apr 29, 2014

I wish there was a teaching student rant forum section lol. I'm in my Junior year and am supposed to be majoring in Art ed. I'm so scared to go with "my dream" and end up jobless for the next 3-6 years with all the horror stories I've read. I attend a pretty great college for education and have been him-hawing between this and el ed. If I concentrated in El ed, then I could eventually wittle my way towards art teaching at some point in my career. I just keep stressing out that if I switch to el ed that I will be terribly unhappy. I would enjoy el ed. Just, not as much as art ed.

My head hurts!

Anyone feel this way as they got close to graduating? Did you switch majors or concentrations? I know the logical choice is el ed with future concentration in art ed for potential job outlook but...:unsure:

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 29, 2014

I completely dropped out of the education department halfway through my college career. It took me a decade to go back and finish it. Personally, I think you should stick with where you are in Art Ed. You're happy, and you're doing well with your education classes on the subject. If you feel like you need to add the elementary endorsement later, you can.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2014

You should go with what you enjoy.

The thing with specialized subject areas is that the thing that sometimes makes it hard to get a job is also the thing that can make you a shoe-in. I teach a really specialized subject, so I know what I'm talking about here. There are many places where my subject simply isn't taught, so it would obviously be impossible for me to get a job there. Where it is taught, however, there are so few applicants that the chances of actually getting the job you apply for are really high.

With that in mind, are you willing to relocate? If so, I don't think you'll have much to worry about.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Apr 29, 2014

I went back to college to become a teacher and initially started as in general science ed. Then, after a year of courses and observations in science classes, I figured out that I didn't want to be a science teacher. Sure, I love science (especially the physical sciences like chemistry and physics) but I didn't want to teach it. So, I switched to math and never looked back. Granted, with either gen. science or math, it would have been "easier" to land something, I LOVE being a math teacher. I can talk math all day every day every second if someone would listen to me long enough......

Go with what you absolutely love!!! Better to major in something you will enjoy for a long time as opposed to something you think will be easier for you to land a job. Good luck with your decision!!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 29, 2014

I think to be an outstanding teacher you have to be passionate, and you are passionate about art.

Would you rather be an outstanding art teacher, or an ok elementary teacher?

Would you rather be happy and excited to go to work and create art lessons, or content to just have a job?

There aren't many people who can be effective teaching their talent-I say go for your dream. You have years ahead of you to make a living.

7. tashamama

tashamama Rookie

Apr 29, 2014

Yeah, that's the only thing I worry about - I cannot relocate. Will be working in Michigan. :/ Thankyou for your insight. That is a good way to look at things.

8. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Apr 30, 2014

Have a friend who has an art ed degree. She also added an ESL license. She has worked in 2 states in art. I say go for it.