I'm really interested in Daily 5...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by minnie, Jun 22, 2009.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jun 22, 2009

I am wanting to change a few things next year and I've been hearing a lot about Daily 5 but I'm not sure exactly what it is. I went on the website but it looks like I have to buy the book. I want to know a little more about it before I do that.

Can anyone give me more info about Daily 5? Thank you!

3. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

I am currently taking a class on Daily 5 and am hoping to start implementing it in the fall, but I'm by no means an expert. Basically, its based on 5 tasks: read to yourself, read to someone, work on writing, listening to reading, and spelling/word work. Depending on time available, students complete some or all of those tasks each day, separated by small or large group focus lessons.

I know this is very basic info, but hope it helps.

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 22, 2009

I'm reading the book this summer. Its a good book. I've had lots of ah ha moments. Now I finally realize why my kiddos have never really been truly independent. Even if I don't completely run my reading block that way (I am mandated to have 30 mins straight whole group and then 60 minutes for small groups/centers), I can at least use some strategies from the book. There is a section of the book that talks about having stamina. When you are practicing the Read to Self task, you allow the kids to read for 2 minutes, then come back as a group and discuss what happened. Do another practice again, but maybe 3 minutes. The idea is to gradually get the kids to be on task and independent for a longer period of time. The part that was the most interesting was to NOT give feedback during the practice session. That way the kids can truly focus on the task and won't learn to rely on the teacher to stay on task. The kids ultimately learn to have more control over their own behavior.

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 22, 2009

i'm really interested in it as well. I ordered the book from amazon and I hope it comes quickly. I like the idea of teaching stamina as opposed to just expecting it. I seem to have problems with that from kids early in the school year and could never figure out how I could correct it.

6. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jun 22, 2009

I like the part about having the students NOT rely on the teacher to stay on task. I had a problem with that last year. My kids were always seeking approval from me "Look what I did"..."I'm coloring my letters blue." They were telling me everything that they were doing. Maybe I'll order the book. The whole concept of getting my kindergartners to work more independently is something I want to instill in them. Thank you all!

7. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 22, 2009

I liked the fact that it is explained in such detail how to make the students independent.
    What to say, what to do. How to do it.. It's all there!
    I love it and recommend it to everyone!! :thumb:

When you walk around in the classroom and hear the low humming sound of students reading, seeing no eyes anywhere but in their own books..
    When you watch a big class of first graders all sit and write a creative story in their own books, not a sound to be heard..
    When students smile with eyes focused on nothing but spelling words.. Nobody asking you what to do or asking for help..
    Now that's when you're glad you're doing the daily 5! :D

8. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

I like the fact that real teachers who are currently teaching wrote the book.
    I have said it before and I will say it now- It would be great to have "The Daily 5" as one of the book groups on this forum. Then we can all go to that group when we have questions or insights without searching for the answers. Just a thought.

9. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

I just saw the Sisters on Saturday. You can download the ebook on the publisher's website. I think it was $14. It is a quick read 1-2 sittings. I love it. It is the practical application to what research has been telling us for years.

10. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jun 22, 2009

Scooter503 where are you taking a class on the daily 5? Is it online?

11. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jun 22, 2009

How do you all think it will pan out with kindergartners? I mean, most of them are not reading or writing at the beginning of the year. Little 317, when did you introduce this to your students and how long did it take until they got the hang of it?

12. little317

little317 Groupie

Jun 22, 2009

I haven't tried it yet, but I have high hopes to start it next year. My plan is to start off slow and build from there. Since most really aren't reading a lot, what I will do is give them lots of the Level AA and Level A books from Reading A-Z in thier book sacks. If I have readers already, those kids would have higher level books.

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 22, 2009

I need to learn more about the Daily 5. Do you think it would be something good for my 5th graders or is it for younger kids?

14. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

It is a correspondence course offered through the University of St. Thomas (in Minnesota). The course is called "Developing Independent Literacy with in the Daily Five". You read the book, do a few 1-2 page assignments for each chapter and then lesson plans for your first 25 days. Completely useful!

If you want to check it out, look for the course name at this website (the website is the listing for fall semester): http://www.stthomas.edu/education/apps/cecatalog/cecatalog_display.asp. It's course number CTED571.