I'm ready to quit and it's only december...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by DCTeacher1, Dec 2, 2014.

1. DCTeacher1

DCTeacher1 New Member

Dec 2, 2014

I am looking for any advice that you may have...

I am a veteran teacher. I have been teaching for 9 years now and I have always loved my school and students. This year I moved to a new city and started teaching at a high school. It's the first time that I have ever wanted to leave a building because of the building environment itself(I have only ever left a school because of new professional or personal opportunities.)

This new school does everything I have ever disagreed with in any other building all under the same roof. They ignore behavior referrals. I was told to by my team leader that, "we can either teach fast or teach well, but not both. So we have to continue to teach fast." Students are moved into higher courses, with no regard to the student needs, just so the district can say they have students taking advanced courses. There is plenty of talk about students having to pass the state test at the end of the year, but no talk about how to help student actually learn and understand the material.

HELP! I know it is wrong to quit midyear, and I won't do that to my students, but I hate going to work each day. I'm not inspired to be there and leave the building as fast as I can at the end of the day.

How do I make it through until June???

3. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Dec 2, 2014

if you hate going to work,quit. Even if you think "it is wrong". I am pretty sure students can tell if you enjoy what you do or not.And you have no allegiance to the admin at this school. Be true to yourself. That's my :2cents:

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 2, 2014

I'm sorry. No advice for you, really. I'm right there with you. If you figure out how to make it to June, please let me know.

I guess all I can suggest is to leave work at work, and limit yourself to working only during contract hours or slightly over. Accept that it's the school, not you. Stop caring about the job. Care about yourself and your personal life. Again, I'm not sure if this is quality advice, but those are some of the things that I'm trying to get myself through.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2014

Your job is so outrageously wrong that it's tough to find good advice!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2014

Are you me?
    I'm in my 8th year at a new school/district that I hate. The building is so negative. Very grievance-happy. They all hate their jobs but can't find jobs paying them what they make, so they all feel stuck. Pair that with a group of students that are extremely difficult and you get misery.
    I hope and pray that I will be able to find a new job next year. If I don't, I may have to leave the profession. I'm so miserable that right now I want to run away. But last fall I was still so happy and I loved going to work every day. So I want to give it a shot elsewhere before I run away.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 2, 2014

It sounds like you got some bad luck at the school you ended up yet. I would fight it out to the end of the year, and then see if you can transfer.

For the rest of the year, do whatever you think is best for the students and for yourself. If you get in trouble, no big deal. You are not planning to stay at teaching at that school so you have nothing to lose.

8. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Dec 4, 2014

I suggest you teach well instead of teaching fast, because in the end the kids will go away knowing SOMETHING. Sometimes its quality more than quantity. If they know some of the material well enough to infer other content, they may be alright.

I was told we don't teach a subject, we teach students. We should all strive to teach them how to learn for themselves so they can meet any challenge they may be face with later in life.

Hang in there and avoid the negative conversations. Focus on the positive: like when your students GET it.