I'm panicking...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Green_eyed_gal, May 19, 2008.

1. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

May 19, 2008

Next year will be my first year teaching and I was looking forward to using time during the summer to get my room together... Well, today we were told the school will be shut down on May 30th (one day after the last day of school) and won't be open till July 15th.. They are putting in new a/c units and all electricity will be shut off. :eek:

The week of July 15th is when I have to attend all the new teacher classes and then I'll only have the week after that to get my class together along with attending teacher in-service and curriculum planning..

How the heck do I do it??? I'm hoping I'll know what class I'll have tomorrow and then I'll have a better idea of what I'll need to do.

:help::help::help::help::help::help:

3. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 19, 2008

Well I am in a year round school and the classroom I am getting will not be vacated until a week before school starts. I understand :)

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

My first year teaching I had a weekend to get ready (I was hired in October). Second year I moved to a new school and had a week. Last year, I moved to a new classroom and to a new grade and had two days. So......... it's possible. Don't panick. Things will fall into place and all will be fine. Use your summer and have fun. Do a bit of research and planning, but also use your summer to live!! We only have one life to live and you never know what's going to happen. As you can see, I did a lot of soul searching and realized that I need to stop panicking over every little detail (very type A and OCD and I'm working on this) Anyways, it's possible to set up a whole classroom in very little time. Good luck!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 20, 2008

My school is never open during the summer; we can usually have access for the first day or two after school ends, then not again until the week before school starts. Our caretakers need this time, without teachers, to get our school ready for the new year, and I am not going to go against their request. Everything does manage to get done; remember, though, that your classroom environment will be constantly changing throughout the year--it doesn't need to be "done" by a certain date.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

I'm not going to know what grade I'm in next year until the week before school starts. So I have to wait around. Hopefully I'll stay the same, but otherwise I'll have to move everything to a different room.

7. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 20, 2008

First, breathe. You will be able to do it, it will just require you to be very organized and use the time you have very efficiently. I know exactly how you feel because our building was remodeled last year and moved to a new classroom. The building was not available until all of the returning teachers came back. To make matters worse, the school scheduled professional development outside of the building for the upper elem. and middle school teachers. I literally had about 2 days to put my room together. You can do it and will be able to make it. Have a plan for the room and you will be better off. Good luck!

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 20, 2008

Start by organizing yourself on paper. Have you seen your new room yet? Will you get this chance? If so, take a pad of paper and sketch out where everything is and what must stay put. Where are the windows, the door, closet, lockers, outlets, and so on? Keep this in a very safe place. Then, during the 6 weeks you can't get into the room you can read books, get ideas, jot notes, figure out what you want your room to look like and how you want the furniture set, how you will organize everything, etc. Just plan like crazy. You can also start buying the things you know the school wont provide, like desk plates and labels, and other items you just know will be essential, such as tape and staplers. I'd keep a box at home and just throw everything I would need to get the room put together inside it. Then when you can finally get into the room you will have just about everything you need in the box.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 20, 2008

Think of it this way - you have no choice but to go to the beach and relax all summer :) :) :)

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

You'll be fine (but I do understand the concern). I was hired after school was already started and got my students 2 days after I was placed at the school. You just learn to prioritize!

There is a lot you can get done at home as far as curriculum planning. Find out if you can take text, district curriculum guides, and, of course, the state standards home. Our grade level team typically meets to plan over the summer, too, so you might ask about that.

11. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

May 20, 2008

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone... Well, today I found out I will be out in the portables, which is ok because I have a job!! :D There are no windows and limited storage space... I'm going to go in on Friday to take some pictures and get measurements and I'll use that to make my plan..

Wish me luck!! :lol:

12. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

May 20, 2008

Good luck! I know it is hard to get ready in a limited time, but as the others said, it could be a lot worse. I'm sure your room will be wonderful.

13. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

May 20, 2008

Welcome to the the unpredictable world of teaching! :) One week will be plenty of time to get your room together. One teacher we have was hired the night before school--literally. In fact, because of cleaning/waxing the floors we usually don't get in until about a week before school starts. Just make sure you have your lesson plans ready for the first week and the basic things you will need in your room. You can add on as you go.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

Don't panic- its not worth it! Your room will always be a work in progress, no matter how hard you try. Do whatever you can to prepare at home (get folders, notebooks, etc ready, type up things on home computer) and then get your room ready for the first day but don't worry as much about everything else. It will all fall into place!

I've been in my room for 4 years, and its still not perfect! Oh and it took my 3 years to go through and get rid of everything from the old teacher...

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 21, 2008

Try to get your planning materials - teachers manuals, etc - before they lock up. You can work on the planning part of your year. Get your classroom measurements, and measurements of the furniture in the room, and arrange it on paper. Measure the bulleting boards and you can plan them out also. Sometimes you will find nice fabric over the summer that will work on bbs.

Get a friend or 2 to come in and help set up the room and bbs. It will go really fast if you already have it planned out.