I'm not sure this is the correct forum for my question, but...

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by engteacher2948, Mar 28, 2008.

1. engteacher2948

engteacher2948 New Member

Mar 28, 2008

I am currently working towards earning a M.A. in English; my course work will be finished at the end of this semester and my thesis will be turned in by the end of the following semester. I would like to teach literature at the high school level, preferably in the north-metro area of Georgia. Can anyone give me information on the steps I can take to gain certification without enrolling in a fulltime education B.A. program? I specifically need more experiencing in teaching for my resume. I know of the GATAPP program, are there any other options? Thank you so much!

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 16, 2008

I do not have any Georgia info for you, but experience wise it is great to do observation hours in local schools, volunteer to read or help out in different classes. That way you get to see what is going on from the inside. Getting experience is very important! Volunteer to teach religious ed at your local church/place of worship, volunteer to take over a reading group at your library, offer to come into the schools to help out in any way necessary. It is a good way to get your foot in the door. Keep in mind working with kids will require a CORI- basically a criminal background check and sometimes it takes a LONG time to go through- so its best to act quickly and get the paper work in. Good luck! Wish I could help you more with the certification requirements, but it differs state to state. Good luck!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2008

I know that Georgia has an alternative certification program. There's a teacher on here, scienceteach that lives in Georgia, and I think she's going through the same program. I'll send her down here. ;)

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 16, 2008

hi!
    I'm here in Fulton County...fun fun. I am currently working towards my MAT in Science with Certification. I'm doing it through that school program. There are a few ways to get certified outside of GATAPP.

http://www.gapsc.com/teachercertification/documents/routes.asp

You will need to take the GACE testing. The site explains about it. Hope this helps some. Let me know if I can help more :)

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 16, 2008

Also...you only need a GED to sub in georgia...so you could do that while you wait...or work in a private or charter school.
    I currently work in a charter school, and they hire ppl w/o certification if you impress them enough.

7. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

May 11, 2008

I live in Gwinnett County and you have to pass the Gace Basic Skills or have 2 years of college to sub. I think it differs from district to district in Georgia.