I'm not sad...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Aug 12, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 12, 2009

...I'm really angry.

or...maybe a BIT sad. But a LOT angry!

Got a call of rejection from the school where my interview went so well. I'm rejected for a $15,500 grunt work job!

This is INSULTING!! I passed the danged screening interview in March or April... been to 5 or 6 schools in this district...and I can't get ANYTHING!

Calls (that they wrote a letter saying that principals were taking July off-and they would be interviewing for jobs again in August) have stopped! It's the 12TH!

EVERY bit of ambition is drained! And I'm ANGRY! Angry at this district...good G**! I was a great student teacher there... I have connections... I obviously did a good enough job while screening...and...

Angry at my university... don't tell me the idiots i went to class with have positions...i ran RINGS around them! My study partner didn't even STUDENT TEACH..and she is going on her third year of teaching! (And I didn't get a price break on school...I was probably one of the few paying full price and cash. No loans...NOTHING! Wanted to work at school-or a scholarship/grant, and was told that I didn't qualify.. until the last month when the women's studies office heard about me and said that THEY could have helped me had they known.)

Angry that i am going to have to watch teachers (as a sub) who won jobs over me... and think, are you CRAZY???

My son... got in trouble with the law about 2 weeks back. And while we wait to find out HIS fate.. he CONTINUES to try to get a job so it'll look like he's TRYING (I have driven this young man around looking for a job for MONTHS!! - This is a young man who is SO strickingly handsame and has a pleasant personality. people are always asking me if he models...and ...we haven't been able to find him a job.)
    Today he went on a SECOND INTERVIEW to be a frick'n busboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yesterday-at the FIRST interview-he gets there, and there are 8 young men sitting waiting their turns). At the end of this second interview they say, "we'll get back to you when we have training." So you aren't training...or you are saying no? If there are no jobs...why have 8 young men line up to interview for one?

I am just so.... MAD! And insulted... and worried...

And I don't understand... WHY I can't (WE CAN"T) get the SIMPLEST of jobs!!!!!!!

We aren't morons. We aren't hideously ugly or embarrassingly uncouth . We are so capable...and this is just..

....I don't know what is going to happen here...but I just feel like collapsing.

3. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I'm so sorry you didn't get it, but don't collapse, McKenna! Wake up tomorrow morning, brush yourself off, run around the block a few times, then go and apply for unemployment if you haven't already. Take a few deep breaths or more until you feel calmer.

You'll bounce back. I can tell by your posts that you are a thoughtful, dedicated tchr, person. Decide which direction to sail your ship, then full speed ahead!!! And, most importantly, be kind to you because you are worth it :)

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

:hugs:I'm so sorry, McKennal. This must be awfully frustrating. :(

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 12, 2009

A seond INTERVIEW for a busboy....

pretty soon they'll have busboy job fairs!

6. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

:hugs:

It has gotten to the point of being ridiculous. It seems no matter how well you do, it doesn't matter. I was in the same situation as you in school. I was always one of the better students, making great grades and turning in assignments that I never had help with. Most of my classmates had teachers they could go to who would give them whatever they needed for their project. So yeah, it all seems so hopeless.

I had always thought this was a profession that wouldn't see such hard times. I thought we would always be able to find jobs, but this profession has turned into every other profession [except for those darn math and science ones]: hard as hell to find and keep a job.

I will keep your family and everyone else who are going through these problems in my thoughts and prayers. We'll get through this one way or another.

7. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 12, 2009

Hugs!!! Job searching nowadays is a daunting task. In our area, we recently had 290 people apply for a ten hour a week secretarial position! I wish you and your son the best of luck, and I will pray that you both find jobs quickly.

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

Awwww.... make some time for fun to relax. I have to remind myself that we don't always get what we want and things don't always go our way. It's been a tough lesson for me to go through too.

Take care and tell yourself that it wasn't meant to be. There is something else waiting for you to find. It's a competitive time right now in some fields.

There was something like 12,000 people that showed up for 1 water meter reading job a few months ago in my area. That's astonishing.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2009

:hugs: McKenna!! Hang in there b/c you are a GREAT teacher!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

Hugs McKenna. :hugs:

11. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 12, 2009

:hugs:I just want to cry with you (I cry when I'm mad). I know your frustration well. I KNOW I was a better student, better student teacher, and better subsitute than the people who have gotten jobs. AND on top of that I did that while balancing a family and helping take care of a sick relative!

I can't even get P's to call me back for aide positions! I can't say I haven't had interviews because I have.

McKenna you will get something! You are an awesome person and an awesome teacher! Hang in there. And I'm sorry your son is having a diffiult time. I know that must be very hard on you. :sorry:

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

How far are you from CPS? What is your certificate in? Do you speak another language?

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

McKenna - Keep the faith. New positions crop up everyday at this time of year. Several teachers were hired in our district on Friday and with the enrollment coming in at record numbers it looks like more new hires will be in the future for our district. It only takes one interview, one principal, and one phone call to change your life. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

You must be so frustrated. I am so sorry.

Like you said, though, it's the 12th. Something may still come up.

In the meantime, please take care of yourself, mentally and physically. Get some rest. Enjoy your family.

Our thoughts are with you.

15. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

I'm sorry you are experiencing this.

I hope that everything turns around for you and your son.

16. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I'm with you all. Extremely frustrated, completely drained. Looking at my options, trying to find what to do. And yes, I was president of my teaching cohort, in charge of the rest of the students. I was an outstanding student teacher, substitute, building sub, IA and a semester long maternity sub. Nuttin'. Aargh. One night of self-pity and that's all.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2009

McK- I know there is something out there for you. Keep on keeping on...if this school district isn't the one, too bad for them- they missed out on someone great. There's another district that will snap you up, I'm sure.

Good luck and hugs to you and your son. Your most important job right now is supporting him and helping him get on the right track. The economy is tough enough right now that yes, it seems that being a busboy is competitive...does he have to list his trouble with the law on job apps? There are businesses out there that are 'more friendly' to job candidates who have had some trouble-don't know how old your son is but he might try some temp agencies...again, I'm sending you good thoughts and :hugs:

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

I'm sorry, McKennaL... I don't blame you for being mad. It is maddening. I hope you have something much better than a grunt job in your near future.

Do you think they'll make your son do a demo-clearing for his final interview? Jeez.

19. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Mckenna--two points. Please know I am only surmising here based on the information you provided.

1. They are afraid you are over qualified, hence, they're afraid that you won't stick around for too long. Your task at hand, it seems, is to convince them you won't flee when something better comes along.
    2. The state budget crisis is yielding forth an unstable pattern.
    Had you been looking for a job five years ago, you would have found one.

About your son--I was a restaurant manager in SF for many years. Restaurants have become incredibly picky about who they hire. Everyone wants to be a Top Chef, and suddenly, even the dishwashers need a resume and references.

20. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Aug 13, 2009

McK: I don't remember exactly when it happened but at some point I stopped believing that jobs necessarily go to the talented, trained, and motivated. Do not despair. Eventually some admin will accidentally make a rational decision and you will be there to take advantage of it.

"Keep yer head up", as the kids say.

21. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 13, 2009

I'm sorry McKenna. I can feel your frustration through your post. Its so hard when we not only have to worry about our own mental health, but our children's.

My college-age daughter is facing the same situation trying to find work. She has been looking since May. I'm crossing my fingers because she had a great interview yesterday at a restaurant. The employer contacted the references even before the interview. What a crazy job market!

Just a thought, (from an ex-vocational counselor). Depending on the nature of your son's legal problems and the positions for which he is applying, you may want to get him bonded. I used to get my clients with past legal problems bonded in order to make them more employable.

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2009

McKenna - It is tough. It can really beat a person down. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Good things happen to good people. You must believe when no one else does, that there is a greater good for you. You must, because if you sink into depression, it is even a harder path that you choose to take. Put your head up, shoulders back, take a deep breath, and say to yourself every time you start to slump, I am worthy and I will find something that makes me happy. I deserve to be happy.

23. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 13, 2009

:hugs: McKenna

I know what you are going through, and can sympathize. I, too, am still hunting for *a* job (any type at this point), and am begging for part-time aide positions against people who just graduated high school!
    Every year I see jobs going to those with much less experience, education, and IMO, ability - and every year those same jobs need to be re-hired because the young ones didn't cut it and got non-renewed. For three years now I have applied for the same middle school position that needs to be filled every year cuz the person they hired didn't work out and was too inexperienced and had no classroom management.

It is disgusting - reminds me of a few years back when I had moved to FL and I was begging for server jobs - we had to lie about our education and background simply to get an interview - then we had to take tests! (this is for a server job at Dennys). It was very disheartening.

All I can say is I hope that things will change - there is only one way to go and that is up!:)

24. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

McKenna! I agree, these are such horrible times to be looking for a job. Keep believing in yourself and know that you are a great teacher! When I taught the last two years I knew that I was a better teacher than many of my colleagues. I thought it was so unfair to not have my contract renewed and "they" got to stay so in that way I know how you feel.
    My smart talented, beautiful 19 year old sells sandwiches and I told her to hang on to her job for dear life, because she may not get another one if she leaves. None of her friends have jobs, and have been looking since last June!
    Hang in there and hope this economy turns around soon. :)

25. Jaz

Jaz Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

Sorry to hear about the hard time you are having :( Take some time to feel sorry for yourself and then brush yourself off and keep going. I know from experience how frustrating it can be to see the less qualified get the jobs but your chance will come. Take a day off of the hunt and do something you enjoy (even if it's just vegging out!!). I have found that taking a step back from time to time helps. Take care.

26. jamespurdue

jamespurdue New Member

Aug 25, 2009

A SECOND interview for a busboy.. that's amazing. Sounds about right in our economy though.. the sad thing is that restaraunt mgrs see the bad economy as a chance to call in 10 people for a dishwashing position and then set back like they are SUPERCOOL people while they ask questions like.. "SO AS A BUSBOY..WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO ACCOMPLISH IN THE NEXT YEAR HERE".. "WHAT MAKES YOU A BETTER BUSBOY CANDIDATE THAN THE 5TH GUY I INTERVIEWED"
    hILLARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!