I'm not ready!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by newtothis2006, Aug 24, 2007.

1. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Does anyone else feel this way? I am so stressed out and overloaded wiht paperwork and school hasn't even started yet! :eek:hmy: I have spent all my time getting my kids paperwork copied and summaries typed up for my caseload of 26. I have been working on it since last Friday and just finished today in the nick of time before school starts. But, I haven't even gotten to the other stuff, like lesson planning, room decorating, organization of the billions of forms and worsksheets they give you. I am going to school tomorrow to work and hopefully I'll be ready by Monday!! Anyone else feel this same way? What are your caseloads and class sizes? I teach Resource Math, have a caseload of 26 and teach 4 classes avg. size 10 students. I'm trying not to scream or cry!! Someone tell me that all teachers feel this way before school starts and that it's going to calm down. Deep breath....

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

Keep up with that deep breathing! All of the Special Ed paperwork can really be overwhelming. Last year was my first in Special Ed and I felt as though I was drowning in paperwork for much of it. I started last year with 27 on my caseload and added 5 more throughout the year. Some of those kids I never saw--they were in regular classes all day--but I was still responsible for writing and updating their IEPs, conferring with teachers re program accommodations and modifications, making phone calls, etc. It will probably be difficult for you to do too much long range planning until you meet your students and do some diagnostic work to see where they are at--this will take most of the first week. Relax and try to get some sleep this weekend (I know, easier said than done!)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

I don't know Special Ed, but I do know math.

Let me know how I can help.

And, yes, this is a frantic time for all of us. I did lots of prep this summer and have been teaching forever. But at 5:30 this morning I was in bed making up a list of all I have to do between now and Tuesday morning when I go back.

Accountants have tax time, Santa has December, we have September and June. Don't let it make you crazy; you'll get to it all.