I'm not new anymore?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Mar 14, 2014.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2014

For the first time in my short teaching career, an intern observed my class. It was the first time I was ever observed not in an evaluation setting. It was strange. She was just sitting in my class and I didn't understand why she was there. At first I thought she was lost, then I realized "omg, she's observing my class!"

She was taking notes and all sorts of stuff. I've always considered myself a new teacher (still do, this is my 4th year) but I guess I'm not new-new anymore? I don't know, it felt kind of nice to be more experienced than at least one other person! :cool:

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 14, 2014

Isn't that a weird feeling? While I've only subbed and had now one significantly long term experience, I've had many times where student teachers were looking to me for guidance, when I didn't feel like I was "old" enough (in terms of being in the profession / experience) to be in that position!

4. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 14, 2014

:) I think you don't know that you can be a leader until you have someone looking up to you to lead.

I remember the first time a teacher gave me the opportunity to lead the class in 6th grade: the nerves, the feeling of being too young to lead my peers, etc.

However, I've over the years practice and experience makes it more comfortable to do, but my mind still doesn't wrap around the concept that people are actually looking up to me to advise them.

4 years of successful teaching, CONGRATS!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2014

What's weirder is no one bothered to mention to you that a student would be observing in your room.:dizzy:

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 14, 2014

It may be less that you're "not new" and more that you're effective and engaging as a teacher. You're finding ways to help these kids learn despite all the crazy things thrown at you.

Oh, and czacza is completely right. You should have been told, if not asked.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2014

Yeah I spoke to the head German guy later and asked about it and he told me she should have introduced herself and such. It didn't bother me, I was just sort of confused why she was there! I thought maybe she was lost!

And thanks :)

(just to add another "my school is crazy" story- this German girl flew in from Germany and NO ONE KNEW SHE WAS COMING!! She was supposed to be picked up from the airport and no one picked her up. She eventually took a taxi to the school after waiting 2+ hours and no one knew why she was there and there was no host family lined up for her or anything. Yeah, that's my school)

8. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Mar 16, 2014

In my school, it's on a volunteer basis to have the student teachers observe so sometimes even first-year teachers get observed by student teachers.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2014

I was observed by college students my first year and I did not like it! All that writing made me nervous. I'm okay with it now, though. :)

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 16, 2014

A teacher with one year less experience than me will be observing after break. Her mentor scheduled a morning of observations since it's part of her resident educator program. I said yes, but I really wish I hadn't. I feel the same way you do!

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 16, 2014

For me, that "Oh wow, I'm not new anymore" came last year at end-of-year pack-up time, when my principal informed me that I would be serving as team leader for the first half of the school year while one of my teammates was out on maternity leave. I mean, I knew I would be asked, but it was still a weird moment.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2014

I agree with cat, it may be based on your style and effectiveness. A few years ago, our district went from para servings as aide to more of an instructional assistant. My IA and I worked well together and all the IAs were sent to my class at different points to see our cohesiveness.

13. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Mar 16, 2014

I'm the newest kid at my school and the district. The district only hired three new people this school year. Two of them came from another district and I'm the only one who had no experience prior. So I'm at the very bottom of the totem pole and sometimes it sucks. But I also get compliments that I do a better job than those above me in the totem pole.

I kind of look forward to an opportunity to mentor a new teacher or be their master teacher.