I'm not into bulletin boards...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Jul 27, 2012.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

I love decorating, but I don't know how or what to put up on my bulletin boards. Whatever I might start, I never stick with it. What could I use them for?

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 27, 2012

Check pinterest for inspiration!

4. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

What do you teach?

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2012

I love bulletin boards, and I've made some nice ones, but I tend to make them and keep them all year. It's one of those places where I feel I can lessen my workload.

If for nothing else, display student work. Staple fabric to the board, add a simple border, and just update with student work.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 27, 2012

I don't teach middle school, but I can tell you what I use mine for:
    -I have one small board that I use for a calendar.
    -Another small board that I use for writing options (perhaps you could do a "What to do when you're finished" board?)
    -Math word wall/anchor charts
    -Regular word wall
    -CAFE menu/Daily 5 anchor charts

I do not change my bulletin boards out throughout the year. When I begin the year, they are mostly blank. We add anchor charts and other items together throughout the year. I NEVER have enough wall space!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2012

I did that where our circle time and just changed the pictures either every 2 weeks or just hung up seasonal pix!! The students loved it!!!

8. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

I don't like keeping them up, so I just find what I like at the beginning of the year and usually keep it up all year. I'll have only my student work board that changes. I say just keep it simple. You don't have to keep switching it. What subject do you teach?

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2012

I have one for every subject, Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, and put student work in each one. Easy!

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

I like to have one to post a calendar and all the flyers that we get in the classroom. I make it a student job to post the flyers on the board and change out the old ones.

I also like a board that shows the writing process.

I love my reading suggestion board as well. The students fill out slips and put it on the board.

I don't keep boards that I have to update. Instead, I teach the students to update them.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 27, 2012

I hate doing bulletin boards! That is probably my least favorite part of back-to-school. It probably doesn't help that I'm not very good at it-nothing ever comes out straight, etc.

I usually figure out things I need a bulletin board for after we start-so I leave them pretty blank in the beginning-most of them are to post student work.

12. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Jul 27, 2012

I've been teaching at a school for the last 8 years that doesn't allow bulletin boards. Part of their philosophy is to create a clutter-free, calming, classroom environment. In lieu of bulletin boards, student art is displayed. I'll admit--at first I was a little hesitant to follow this. But, it really does make the classroom seem less chaotic. I had 1 wall for my word wall, 1 wall for my calendar math activities, and other wall space was used to tastefully display some student created art pieces that I changed out every 6 weeks or so.

13. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

We are asked to display student work outside of the classroom. All their other assignments are in their notebooks, so I can't really display it.

I teach middle school. In the past I created my centers schedule on one and that worked, one is for religion, one I kept my announcements and pictures the students gave me, and the last one I use to have college pennants on it. This year I wanted to try something different, but I'm not sure what. I liked having one for student news.

Thanks!

14. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 27, 2012

I totally understand! We are expected to not have much up on our walls. We have one wall area for students work and one area for mandatory school stuff (ELR's, school mission etc.) and if we put up anything else it MUST go with what we are currently learning. We change units so frequently that I am really thinking about not having much else up. Last year I had a board that was for History and Science but would forget to change out the pics. So I was contemplating putting something there that would cover the entire year and could just be left alone. I do not know though - still thinking that one through.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2012

I have 4 bulletin boards, 45 inch square. The one closest to the door is used to post middle school announcements, calendar, menu, instrumental lessons, etc. There is also room for a folder for exit slips. The other front board is vocabulary. One BB in the back of the room has folders to return papers and for absent student work. The other BB in the back is up in the air. When I taught science, it was current events. When I taught English, it was challenge vocabulary (from a word whiz website). This year I'm teaching geography so I think I will buy a world map fabric panel and do something. Still thinking.
    My boards really don't change much throughout the year. I update vocab.

16. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 27, 2012

I have a 10 foot board outside my classroom. Why? I don't know, but I decorate it because it is there. In the beginning it is just general inspiration type stuff, but then it becomes more 8th grade oriented.

I have a 12 (15?) foot board in my classroom, which I used to decorate for the beginning of school as I used to do with each panel of the folding wall (due to fire codes I can only cover 7' tall and the panels are probably about 4 feet, and there are 6 of them). Now I start the year with all blank boards, just paper and a border. As we go along I add notes ala Jeff Anderson. I like the idea of reading suggestions - maybe I'll designate one of the panels for that. Oh, I do decorate the last wall panel with the Pillars of Citizenship. Haven't put anything up there yet. Need new ones. There is a "normal" (2 foot x 3 foot) bulletin board labeled Student Central ( I stole that from a teacher on this site). It has the lunch menu, calendar, club meeting dates, etc. It is over the table that has extra writing paper,pencils,pens, stapler, tape, tissues, etc.

Each year I decorate less and less. I do rotate a few inspirational posters on different walls in the classroom.

17. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 27, 2012

Consider assigning students to decorate BBs. Themes could be academic or not. Some teachers use free time, PAT and/or homework to generate ideas and related work. A homework "committee" which rotates around the room throughout the year could be extra credit or? Plus at the same time students are creating boards they are learning-reviewing skills. In any event, there is no reason a teacher should have to do something for students they are perfectly capable of doing for themselves.

18. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

I always use one of mine to display learning goals.

19. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2012

In middle school and high school, it can be a whole lot easier than in elementary!

Here's the bare minimum, the easiest way I know:
    - Hit Walmart. Invest in a twin bedsheet in a nice bright color (I like red or green.) It will be your background. The color will stay bright, it won't fade, and two of the edges will already be straight.

- Pin it up on your bulletin board, making sure the left side and top are flush. Cut the bottom and right sides, being CAREFUL to cut straight.

- Invest in a package of border, to put up around those 4 edges.

- Find some inspirational posters-- 3 is usually plenty for the boards we have. Or find some old (or new, if you don't mind the cost) calendars with nice pictures. Put them up.

Realistically, you could be done.
    Announcements fill the rest of the space.

I tend to do more-- I put stuff on the podium, the back cabinet, and put border up along the top of the front board. And I put up a weekly brain teaser, along with a birthday card for each month's homeroom birthdays.

21. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 28, 2012

I use much of my wall space - but agree with lessening the workload by keeping most the same throughout the year.

I have several bb areas in my room. They are used for a monthly calendar (student job to chg), a board for learning objectives (was a homework board, just bolted a white board onto lg. bb and listed our subjects out to left of this; I cut and paste standards into larger font, print, laminate and switch these out as needed), a CAFE board for reading strategies that we will add to as year progresses, a vocab bb (just a pocket chart with a cute heading, changes weekly, student helper changes words), pocket charts for Daily 5 and guided math rotations, and a rules poster.

Other than the jobs and vocab that students change weekly, I have one bb in hallway that I change (parent volunteers really do this) monthly.

I actually took the wall behind sink and counter and divided it into three small bb areas for jobs, b'days, and I have one area left for anchor charts - thanks, clutter free! Now I know what to use this for!