I'm not gonna make it.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kellzy, May 27, 2015.

1. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 27, 2015

My group is immune to consequences. I kid you not, rewards and consequences do nothing. It took 30 minutes this morning to get them to give me 10 seconds of everyone working on a bell ringer.
    This class, 3 weeks of indoor recess, 8 days before the end of school, and a kid who is the most insubordinate human being on the planet. I'm not going to make it.
    I seriously almost turned in my resignation during lunch and walked out of the school, the only reason I didn't was because a 56 year veteran of the school system intercepted me talked me out of it.
    How do I get to the end of the year? Any words of advice to get me through it?:help:

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 27, 2015

Liquor.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 27, 2015

Sick days?
    Selective deafness?
    Take melatonin at night to get deep sleep.

Just keep thinking of the first day of freedom and don't worry about getting them all to behave. Seriously, good luck.

5. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 27, 2015

You can't have long left right?

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 27, 2015

Don't let them win! You can do this. Lots of deep breathing. Is there anything they care enough about being able to do that you can hold up as a reward for even short periods of focus? Art? Movie? Games?

8 days...you can survive eight days. People have survived army interrogation for that long (I think...). Then you have 80 days of freedom!

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 27, 2015

try not to let it get to you. Give them 0s or Fs for all the work they're not doing, print out their grades, as soon as their grade starts to go down, call home.

Yesterday I told my classes that we didn't have a lot to do, (although I had planned more), if they're cool and participating and everyone gets their work done without problems, we can just chill for the last 15 minutes. (it's the end of the year and all the other teachers are taking it way too easy, so I had to give a little)
    Per. 2,3, and 4 were awesome, per. 5 didn't want anything to do with it. After 5 minutes and repeating myself twice, told them to do it on their own and I won't help. A few students got it done right, a couple tried but gave up and rest didn't do it.
    Those all got Fs.
    Today, we did it the same way (little work, cooperate and then we're done), and they're were dead silent, I didn't even have to get on them. I did tell them that those who didn't do it got Fs, but can still make it up on their own.

The main thing is not to stress. I'm not gonna let a bunch of 16-18 years olds ruin my day.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 27, 2015

this was going to be my suggestion!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 27, 2015

Cold Chardonnay waiting in the fridge at home.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 27, 2015

I need something stronger than wine. A. I'm about done with my class and they are DONE B. My son is graduating and it's going to be pretty stressful. C. My mom is here for son's graduation D. Wine gives me a headache. Lol

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 27, 2015

The struggle is so real. We don't get our until June 19th. :help:

12. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 27, 2015

THIS. Don't give up. You said eight days, right? You can do it. I know it'll be hell, but not every class will be this class.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 27, 2015

I told my 2nd group that they determined how the last 2 weeks of school went. They didn't take me at my word, so I planned a super noisy/messy lab activity for the other two classes, and they did worksheets. (Not a huge packet, just worksheets instead of the lab). One child finally asked when they got to do the lab. I calmly looked at him and said that they had chosen not to with their behavior. That was all it took. After a few days of good behavior I let the class vote to do the planned activity the next day or to do the lab they had missed. All voted for the missed lab.

14. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 28, 2015

I think the other half of insubordinate kids on the planet are in my class! Here's one word for you--Valium! :) Good luck!

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 28, 2015

Sorry it has been so rough.

I read this somewhere: On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100%, and that's pretty good.

Hang in there!

16. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 28, 2015

I think we all feel a little like this right now.

[​IMG]

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 28, 2015

With one class I co teach in (when not testing....grrrrrrrrrrrr) I stopped by at the end of the day when the were lining up to leave. Totally ignoring their teacher, I went drill sergeant on them. Scared them to death.....lol

Just a service I provide, the friendly funny grandma SPED teacher, Drill Sargent in disguise, ready to yell then they are immune to their teachers voice.

I do however recommend a good craft beer......or several. My plan for the evening.

18. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 28, 2015

I felt the same way as you today. I seriously considered finding an Admin in the middle of the day and telling them I was sick and needed to go home right away. I'm exhausted to an extreme.

For me, it isn't alcohol, it's ice cream.

19. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 29, 2015

Got computers? Let them play games! There are many school appropriate subject related games out there. If there is no class content left to teach, and the final exams are over, then do whatever is least stressful. Can another teacher take one or two of your kids to break up some of the "support" they give each other?

20. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 29, 2015

For me, it's chocolate. :whistle:

21. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 29, 2015

Chocolate ice cream...

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 29, 2015

Chocolate Cherry Merlot ice cream is awesome :D