I'm Nervous

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Guest, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 11, 2002

Hey everyone!
    I figured this is the best place to vent! Is anyone else really nervous or what? I have gone through so much training...and now I will have my own classroom AAHHHHHHH! I was just wondering what some other first year teachers are doing to prepare for the school year. Any info would be wonderful!!
    Thanks,
    Mandy

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 11, 2002

Mandy,
    Feeling nervous is perfectly normal. You are bound to have all kinds of feelings as you start this new experience: nervousness, excitement, apprehension, stress, doubt, wonder, excitement, and more excitement. I am a fairly seasoned teacher and every year I still get a little nervous as I wait for my new little ones to come in my door. You never know what each new bunch will bring you. But I also generally don't sleep the week before school starts because I am just so excited to be starting another new year with new ideas and new plans. Keep checking back to this site and you will get plenty of ideas for all your themes. I wish you all the best in your first year.

4. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Jul 11, 2002

I've been teaching for almost 9 years now, and each school year I still get nervous! You are always wondering how your students are going to be, what the parent relationships will be like, how they'll respond to you (both the parents and kids), etc. I always get that nervous pit in my stomach when I finish setting up and decorating my room, and as soon as the first student walks in the door, my nerves slowly leave. It's going to be wonderful! Good luck with your first year!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 11, 2002

I just found a really cute book about your (our) situation. Its called First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg. All throughout the book you think the main character is a new student at a school, but you never see her, then at the end of the book you find out that she is the teacher.......it is so cute. I plan on using it the fist day of school. It is all about how this girl does not want to go to school because she's nervous. You should check it out.

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 11, 2002

7. cathriona

cathriona Rookie

Jul 15, 2002

Hi,
    Last year I taught Senior Infants and First Class here in Ireland. It was my first time teaching alone. Just like you I was nervous.
    For my first day I came across the wonderful idea of the getting to know you box. I decorated a shoe box and filled it with my favourite things. I used this as an ice-breaker to introduce myself to my class. The next day each child brought in one item that told me something about them. I helped me to see their personalites and also to remember their names.
    I would commit to heart the names of your students. Thsi is half the work over you.Then you just have to match the name to the faces! Have name tags ready also.
    Try to have worksheet and games ready in advance. Children are often missing books and supplies that first day. I am not sure what class you are teaching, but the follwing for printable games.http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/index.htm
    If possible, visit your classroom nad get a feel for it. Arrange things as you wish. I could not do this during the holiday. I had to wait till that morning. I was ready for bed before the children even arrived.
    That's all that I can think of for the moment! Keep sending messages asthings come to you. I would be more than willing to help in the future. You can do it, and there are teachers all over the world to support you. You have made the first step, you asked.
    Cathríona

8. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 16, 2002

Nervous

Talk about nervous! I'm nervous. I've been teaching Kindergarten but I recently moved to a new city and got a job teaching 2nd grade. I have some experience in every grade level EXCEPT 2nd grade. So I'm going to go into this school year as if it were my first year. I hate to say it but I almost feel like I'm not prepared enough yet. Only a few more weeks of summer to go! I get more nervous every day. If anyone out there is an experienced 2nd grade teacher and has some pointers then let me know! Thanks.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 16, 2002

Mr. Reitz

Since you have been teaching Kindergarten, do you have any tips for me? This will be my first year teaching and first time teaching Kindergarten. (I did my internship in first grade) Any help will be great! :) Good luck in second grade this year!

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 16, 2002

I have taught kindergarten also... Here are a few helpful hints:

• SING! They love to sing... songs can be used for transitions and for learning about anything. You can find a lot of songs though LessonPlanz.com
    • BE DIRECT & SPECIFIC - Kindergartners need everything to be explained to them in detail. They love to please, and if you tell them EXACTLY what you want them to do, they will usually do it. For instance, if you want them to line up quietly, you wouldn't want to say "Line up." You would say something like.... "Stand up. Push in your chair. Use your quiet walking feet to line up at the door." Of course, it may not be exactly those words, but you get the idea: don't leave out any steps. Older kids can infer what you mean when you ask them to line up quietly. Kindergartners need modeling and specific instructions.

That's a couple to get you started. I need some memory refreshing. I taught first grade last year, and I'm scared about those first few weeks of school. :eek: My first graders spoiled me with their independence.

11. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 16, 2002

I have to reiterate what Amanda said about singing. I am by no means a good singer but boy do I sing with my kindergartners. I find singing especially helpful that first day. I use singing to quiet them down to get their attention. It is so much easier that talking above them. It doesn't matter what you sing but once you start all noise is gone and you have their complete attention. Start now getting a library of songs to use. I have a 3x5 index card box with all my songs on cards. When I need a song in a hurry (and of course it is at that time that your memory will no doubt fail you) I go to my box and pull one out and start singing. Don't be afraid to try.

12. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 16, 2002

singing works!

You haven't seen comedy until you've seen me sing with 20 five year olds. I completely agree that it works and I am living proof that you don't have to be good at it for it to be effective. Like Amanda said it is very important to be very specific with the children. It's also very important to be patient, forgiving and nurturing of course. One of the best things I can offer is to be sure you have a good system of reward and discipline. Our system last year was Go for the Gold! The students earned colored cards that they kept in a chart in the room. Each day they worked through red, orange, blue, green and then finally gold. When they got to gold they were given a "gold medal" (aka round piece of paper strung on yarn) and were allowed to decorate and wear it.

13. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 16, 2002

Hey! There's more! Another big thing is to have a really great calendar time in the morning, or Morning Meeting. This is the best time to review old material, introduce a new topic quickly and discuss the calendar.
    I included patterning(red apple on monday, green on tuesday, red on wednesday, etc. each month we learned a new and more complex pattern using the days of the month), graphing (graph the weather), the internet( ie. www.weatherchannel.com), money, sight words and much more on a daily basis during our Morning Meeting. Of course lots of teachers do these things and they are very effective. There is really so much to talk about! Too much in fact!

14. Christy

Christy Guest

Jul 18, 2002

Hi! No, you are not alone. I am about to begin my 6th year of teaching (same grade and school) and I still get nervous about the start of school. The best thing that happened to me was my next-door neighbor. I had a mentor teacher who was an excellent teacher but it was Kim, that was and is my lifeline. She teaches 4th grade also and she helped me so much. I hate to admit how many times that first year I walked into her room after a trying day and cried that I just couldn't do it. She kept me calm, kept me centered, and yelled a time or two with me. She is now my best friend. Another great resource is Harry Wong's book First Day of School (my copy is at school and that may not be the exact title). Even if you don't agree with all of his ideas the book is just chunk full of suggestions, help, and humor. Good luck with your first year. The fact that you are worried and taking the time to seek out help like this shows how dedicated you are. You will be an EXCELLENT teacher!!!
    Christy

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 18, 2002

I too am a brand new teacher--fresh out of college (I'm 23). I will be teaching 4th grade. I am VERY nervous!! I have some ideas, but I don't know which ones to go with! Once that first day is over with, I think I will feel so much better! If anyone has some ideas about classroom discipline and what works for you, I would really appreciate it! I'd like to have a class store where I reward students with money and also have a system of fines listed for students to pay when they break the rules or act inappropriately. The main things I'm wondering are how often to open up "the store," what kind of prizes to have (that could get expensive), and how much to "sell" the items for. If anyone out there has done something like this, I'd really love to hear about it! Thanks!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 19, 2002

I agree with singing all the time! My Kindergarteners also enjoy poetry (I'm at an all year Kindergarten program). Check out canteach.ca for great songs and poems!

Good Luck!

17. Minnie000

Minnie000 Guest

Jul 19, 2002

I know how you all feel. I'm going to be starting my first year teaching grade 2 at a little school way up north. Good luck to all of the other new teachers. I hope everything goes well for everybody this year.

18. teachergary

teachergary Guest

Jul 20, 2002

first time teachig...?

What I was told to do if I get the same grade that I did my student teaching in is just follw my master teache's strategies and methods blending in my own as I get experienced. Follow her lead from all my notes and materiels from her class. Slowly introducing my teaching philosophy, methods, strategies as I become more confident......:eek:

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 21, 2002

This is my second year teaching Kindergarten, I sang with my Kindergarteners alot. I love the idea about a box for songs! I also found that stories helped to settle them down, especially when they were new stories or on tape. Kindergarteners need a predictable routine and they need stability (I teach in an urban school). Have fun & good luck!

20. Sara2teach

Sara2teach Guest

Jul 22, 2002

This will only be my second year teaching--so I am definitly feeling those nervous jitters. What I found to be most important (especially in my classroom--self contained emotionally disturbed) is a behavior modification program--and stick to it. I like to reward positive behavior--so I use Friday Special. Every Friday afternoon we have a special event or activity based on the thematic unit I used that week. All week long we talk about the Friday special. When a student misbehaves their "star" falls a little out of the sky (bulletin board)--and they have an IOU. They owe perfect behavior to get their star shining bright. The kids all encourage eachother to be well behaved so they can join in on Friday Special. Good Luck and remember to breathe!!

21. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 22, 2002

I'm glad you're thinking about this stuff early on. That's the trick. Use this summer to work out EVERY procedure, policy, and routine you want your students to follow. Walk through the day mentally and try to forsee anytime you might need to plan for (bathroom, getting coats, copying or receiving homework, grading, room arrangement, and on and on). It's better to have a system which isn't perfect and can be modified than to have kids wandering around the room because you haven't planned the day out. P.S. Whatever details you forget, fake it. The kids won't know, you can think it over that night, and explain the new policy the next day. You'll change things a lot over the school year, anyway.