I'm Losing My Hair

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Mar 18, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 18, 2011

It runs in my family-my grandmother was practically bald by 50. The dermatologist recommended Rogaine, but it's $50/month and I don't know if I want to start that-once you start, you have to continue. I've also tried Nioxin which usually works for me, but doesn't seem to be this time.

Anyone else deal with this and have a suggestion. Luckily, I am a hat person, if it comes to that! ;)

FYI-I've been tested for Thyroid and everything, the doctor doesn't think it's a sign of another issue.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 18, 2011

I have androgenic alopecia. My super thick hair started changing when I was in my early 20's. I went through a series of tests that covered every possible hair loss issue, and genetics was what got me in the end. My grandmother and one her her nieces were almost completely bald.

I used Rogaine from the early 90's to 2001. It was originally $150 a month, prescription only. It may have slowed the rate of loss, but it did NOT significantly change anything. The fine regrowth could hardly have been called hair. It was downy baby-fine hair that really didn't do anything to help the cosmetic parts. I also have significant permanent numbness of the scalp from using it so long. When I had to stop using it, within 6 months my hair loss was significant.

I also tried Nioxin. Nothing. I was on Diazyde for awhile, but that didn't help either. There was one other option, but they wouldn't prescribe it for women of childbearing age . . . even if they were on birth control or not sexually active. Apparently it caused major birth defects.

My hair is black, and I'm REALLY white. My scalp really showed a lot. I tried changing to a lighter color and using short cuts. I also did the "old man combover" . . . which doesn't look any better on a woman than on a man.

About five years ago I bought a wig. It's the best thing EVER! I thought they'd be hot and aggravating, but they aren't. It's no hotter than my natural, thick hair was. It doesn't move around. It's really helped me feel better about myself. Most people don't even realize it's a wig. One co-worker just realized it the other day, and I've worked with her for about 4 years. I recently switched from a shoulder-length highlighted auburn with bangs to one of those asymetrical bobs. All the responses were "oh, you got your hair cut". Nobody seemed to notice that I'd grown out my bangs over the weekend. I've even gone LONGER and had people comment on my hair cut. People aren't all that observant!

Let me dig around on my computer, and I'll even post some pictures.

4. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 18, 2011

Wow. Those are beautiful. I would have NEVER know they were wigs if you hadn't said. So many wigs are 'wiggy', but not the ones you have. Very flattering to you.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2011

More people wear wigs/extensions than one may think. If that's what it takes to feel & look better, go for it.

I have no experience w/ hair loss although I have been dying my hair for about the last 15 yrs & have noticed my hair's not as thick as before, but that's from dying, not anything hereditary. My dad is 82 & still not bald.

My mom's a health nut as I've mentioned before. She told me about a vitamin called Horsetail that I take for hair/nails.

Ima Teacher, those look very natural!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 18, 2011

Yeah, there are a lot of "wiggy" looking ones out there. They tend to be inexpensive and "old woman" kinds of styles. Mine are all synthetic hair, but I like it better than human hair ones. They all cost between $150-$275. I also always take them to my stylist and have them custom cut, which makes them look more "real", too.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2011

I've noticed my hair is thinning a little bit-right in the front middle. When I went home, I noticed my mom's hair is really thin there, so it will probably get worse for me. I've also been wondering what I could do about it.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2011

I noticed that my part was becoming a lot more noticable in back. I also found that I was vitamin d deficient--really deficient. I started taking vit. d and using Biotin shampoo and conditioner. If I have my hair shorter in back you can't see my scalp but if my hair grows out you can, so Ihave to keep layers in and I am pulling it back with a barette to cover the spot.
    Once I started taking vitamin d my hair texture did change and it seems to be a bit thicker.

9. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Mar 19, 2011

@Ima teacher...I agree with another poster, WOW! your hair looks great, I would've never guessed it was a wig.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2011

Ima, when my mom lost her hair (from chemo), she bought herself two wigs. She was so scared and then she was overwhelmed by all of the choices and just how natural they looked... and how easy to care for. Yours are all very beautiful :)

It seems in my family, I got the gray gene & my brother got the bald gene - though his is thinning considerably slower than my dad's did. During the summer, I shed - a lot - and use Nexxum's Emergencee to strengthen my hair so it doesn't break as easily. Not sure if that would help you out at all.

11. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Mar 19, 2011

I'm in my early 20s, and I inherited naturally thin, fine hair from my dad. A few things have helped my hair tremendously:

1. Cutting out sulfates and silicones
    2. Massaging my scalp with the pads of my fingers on a regular basis (you can do this when you shampoo)
    3. Rarely using heated tools like a hairdryer (I completely stopped straightening my hair as well)
    4. Less washing altogether (I'm down to 2-3 times a week)

It's kind of like taking care of clothes--if you treat your clothes gently by using less detergent, cutting back on the heat and take good care of them, they will last longer. Same with your hair! My hair doesn't get damaged, so it looks thicker and healthier.

I'm also interested in the biotin. I've heard that it is an effective supplement but that it takes a while to see results (which is fine by me). Perhaps you could give it a try!

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 19, 2011

If it makes anyone feel any better, I've got a receding hair line. It's not too bad, though. My dad and grandpa have the same hair line but they haven't lost their hair yet (no bald spots, either). I think I'll be okay for at least a few more years! haha! :haha:

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 20, 2011

That reminds me of the Seinfeld where George "diagnosed" people with how much longer they had before the baldness kicked in.

Thanks for the suggestions and Ima for sharing your pics. Those really are great wigs-that's a thought for when it gets thin enough. I have more gray this year too, but I don't know if that's just stress. sigh, genetics! :rolleyes: