I'm Looking For Material for A 4 week unit on Homesteading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by HannahB2, Mar 31, 2004.

1. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Mar 31, 2004

Any Ideas? Its on Homesteading, soddies, poineers. Any ideas for bulliten boards or projects for a 4 week unit?

Thanks

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2004

as a culminating activity, maybe you could let them write/draw/etc. about what if THEY were a pioneer, homesteading, etc... (after they've learned about it, of course!)

I think there's a book (don't know the author) called "what if you were a pioneer" that might be good for this group... also some of the Laura Ingells Wilder "Little House" books could be good...

4. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Apr 1, 2004

anymore? Because I really need help!!

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Apr 1, 2004

Homesteading ideas

Why not try talking about the family unit during homesteading and how it changed. You could talk about the farm chores that needed to be done and how hard life was. Maybe talk about the harsh weather. I don'tr know what time period you're thinking of but there's a great book called "Out of the Dust" that talks about life during the Dust Bowl. Students could make a minature covered wagon. Just a few suggestions.
    4th grade student teacher

6. dee

dee Companion

Apr 2, 2004

I am finishing a two-week unit on pioneers and ancestors that settle the country. We discussed the different countries that our ancestors came from, their means of transportation, recreation, getting food. We compared all of these things to how things are different for us today. We did read some from the "Little House". We also discussed artifacts and looked at some of the artifacts that were left behind by the pioneers.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 12, 2004

The Dear America series should have a book and video about pioneers.

I read aloud Dear Levi (author is Wood - something) which is historical fiction in the form of letters home from a boy traveling in a wagon train to claim his deceased father's parcel of land.

Each of my kids has had to select a historical fiction book set during the early 1800's and they will write book reports. I have about 20 books in my classroom. Even the American Girl books are good - Kirsten is the pioneer girl.

Lewis and Clark's travels impress upon the kids how little was known about the territories at the time.

We are using an American history atlas. It features many maps showing changes in land use, territories, new states, etc.

You can make covered wagons from quart milk containers. Use pipe cleaners to form the skeleton for the top covering.