I'm Kinda Sad...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teach In Texas, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

Ok. Here's the deal. I resigned in May from the school I was working at because my fiancee and I are moving to another city, 3 hours away. Therefore, I do not have a job come August.

I had an interview at a job fair a week ago. It went well and the asst. principal use to work with my previous principal, so that could be good...could be bad.

I guess the interview at the job fair went well, because 2 days later, the principal called me and wanted to meet with me. We scheduled for the next day. She (and the asst. principal) kept me waiting for 20 min because there were some summer school issues. No biggie, but I overheard a phone conversation that has been bothering me. The secretary answered the phone and was super excited because the call was from someone she knew who was looking for a job. I over heard her tell her that a position became available on Friday and that she would tell Mrs. B (principal) that she was interested. I guess she went back and gave Mrs. B the message that she had called. Well, about 10 minutes later that person called back and the secretary told her that Mrs. B was very excited and apparently had said she would call her.

Ok, so when I got to meet with Mrs. B and the asst. principal, he remembered me (yay!), they both thanked me for driving the 3 hours to meet with them. She said this was going to be very informal and she just wanted to talk with me...she didnt really want to discuss the interview questions I had already answered during the initial interview. I think the asst. principal may have been the one to refer me to her because of the connection we discovered at the job fair. We laughed at the initial interview and I think my personality really shined through. Anyhow, during the second meeting, she asked me if I would serve on some committees if hired and if I could come during the summer to meet the other teachers and a bunch of other things that got me thinking I was a shoe in. She told me the position was for the 2nd grade postion and since I taught second grade previously that was a reason she thought I would be good for the position. She then said the position just became available on Friday....UGH!!! This is the same position her secretary told their friend about!!!

Anyways, I was there about 45 min. just talking to them...they both kept thanking me for coming. At the end of the interview she told me that she was going to make a recommendation the next day and HR should call by Friday depending on how busy they were. She said unfortunately she couldnt make the calls anymore, HR had to do it.

As I was walking out, she said she just had to ask a question...she asked if I was always smiling or if I was just doing it to make an impression (she said it in a very sweet way and laughed about it). I told her that was just how I was and the asst. principal told her thats exactly how I was at the job fair interview.

She had a meeting with the 3rd grade teachers but the asst. principal wanted to show me around. He took me to the library and showed me around the other halls and stuff. As we were walking, we saw another teacher and that teacher introduced himself. The asst. principal told him I was interviewing for the 2nd grade postion and I held up my crossed fingers (ya know, for like good luck).

At the end of the tour, he thanked me and walked me out.

I for sure thought I got it! But, then I remembered that darn phone call. I never heard anything from HR on Friday...they only call if you get the job.

My fiancee thinks maybe HR is just busy?

Oh, and when I got home I emailed them both...I have never felt so comfortable at an interview and I thanked them for that and also told them I got a good vibe from them. I know the asst. principal is already gone for the summer so he may have not have gotten the email but I was hoping the principal would have emailed me back thanking me...no luck! :(

They were both super sweet and the school is amazingly beautiful!!!

I REALLY want this job.

Should I call her and see if she can tell me if I wasnt recommended (since she cant tell me if I was)?

I have two more interviews on Wed. that I can prepare for, but I want this job!

What should I do???

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

Don't jump to conclusions. She could have been talking to a potential nurse or secretary or custodian or 8th grade teacher. It's completely possible that more than one position opened up on the same day.

Or that it was only one position and you're STILL the better candidate!

Things are hectic this time of year. "Depending on how busy they were" means they probably won't call on Friday-- they ARE VERY busy this time of year!!!!

Hang in there!

4. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

Sorry, I accidentally hit "submit" before I was done....can you read the rest and tell me what you think?

Oh and the counselor position was just filled. :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

I still think you're jumping the gun. You don't know what job the conversation was about.

Whether you got the job or not, you can trust that HR was busy. Remember, they're handling the whole district, not just your school. In the district in which I live, that's 8 elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. And this is hiring season: they ARE VERY BUSY!!!!

Because the job situation here is such a bloodbath, here's my advice: prep for those other 2 interviews as though you didn't get this job. Convince yourself that you'll be thrilled to work at either of those schools and prep like there's no tomorrow.

But don't be surprised if you end the week with several offers. I wouldn't call to see yet-- don't give them any reason to think your confidence is suffering.

6. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 10, 2007

I agree with Alice, remain hopeful and prepare for the next interviews. A week ago I had an interview for a job that I really want. It went really well and the principal said he would be calling "by the end of the week". Well, that was a couple of days ago and I haven't heard from him. I am trying to remain hopeful. It is the end of the year and pricipals get busy. I am also preparing for an interview on the 18th.

7. Iris

Iris New Member

Jun 10, 2007

Hey

Hi Teach in Texas,

I'm on the interview committee at my school (gr. 3). We interview as many candidates as the district sends us. We then recommend in order of preference. Sometimes a teacher gives all the right answers but there's just not the chemistry. Or they know who the staff is, and just can't see you collaborating with the current staff. (You wouldn't want to work with a bunch of old biddies, would you?) Sometimes it's just a hard call, and is almost a toss-up. Don't give up. Have you submitted your resume & application to the District Office? Ask the District what other positions are available at that school. Also try other schools in the District. It's easier to transfer than to apply anew. Don't be discouraged. You know you're a great teacher, so keep on interviewing! Hey, you can always sub. A good sub is sought after, and you can establish your reputation that way, because teachers do evaluate their subs, informally. I wouldn't worry about the friend of the secretary. In my District, everyone has an equal chance. The fact that the VP wanted to show you around is a good sign.

No don't call. Just keep a positive attitude, and keep interviewing. Call the County Office of Ed. and ask for the addresses of all the Elementary School Districts. You may be missing one.
    Good luck!
    Iris in Calif.

8. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

The application process is kinda different here....we have to apply online to the districts and then we get called from the principals to interview. The principals pull our applications from the computer to see who they want to interview.

I just hate waiting and thought for sure I would have gotten the call on Friday. I just hope she gives me a chance and doesnt go with the person that she already knows and was excited to hear from. :(

9. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

I know how you feel. I interviwed on Tuesday and the interview went great! Surprisingly the interview lasted about an hour but I wasnt asked that many questions. He asked some questions and we talked some because I know a couple of teachers at that school, the assis. principal explained the reading program to me, and they took the time to look thru my portfolio. It was one of the longest interviews, but like I said not many questions were asked. Anyway, they gave me a lot of compliments and he told me his decision would be made either by the end of the week or beg. of this week. I'm hoping it's the beg. of this week. I think we do need to be patient, but it's hard when yer waiting on something so important. A lot of times we dont realize that they could be busy. The principal that I interviewed with is still in school so I know he has those issues to deal with. I'm trying to think positive-trying is the keyword!

10. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

I teach in a district that also states that they will only accept online applications. However, in my school, one lady walked into the front office to just deliver her resume to the school, and my principal happened to see her and had had a cancellation with another applicant. They just grabbed her and walked her back to the interview committee and did an interview right then! I say go for it, don't wait on them, take them in to the principal's office anyway! (By the way, she got the job).

11. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I got it!!!

I actually got 2 offers with the same district! YES!!!

Thanks for your support, guys!!!

12. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

;) YAHOO!!! Congratulations!! ;) What positions were you offered and what are you planning on taking?

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

Good 4 You!!

Great News Teach in Texas!!!

Good things come to those who wait! It was obviously meant to be! Try to keep an open mind from here on out! Anything can happen, but remain positive.

I say until you sign those W-4 papers, and get an benefit package...keep smiling!

And, never put away your portfolio. Job hunting is a never ending cycle. We must always be prepared to better ourselves, and make the next move. Sometimes, it is not our fault, or choice. When principals and spouses move, we have to also! Sometimes it's a district/school choice. So you will always be called upon to prove yourself, even for a promotion/raise.

Start keeping copies of your volunteer activities, and any educational memberships you currently have. Take some time to get to know your new community but take it slow! If you plan to enroll in school for higher degree or certificate, let your boss know. Keep a paper trail. Think of it as management by objective. Be ready for your review by having copies of your achievements! That way, when your principal asks about your goals and accomplishments, you won't have to scramble around looking!

Job hunting is no fun, but it's something we all have to deal with at some time in our lives. Think of it as a way of showing what you know. And don't stop once you get your room! Keep a clean copy of your resume, and a sealed copy of your transcripts ready.

Also, don't try to take on too much this year. Moving is stressful enough! You already accepted the position, and the committee job as well. Don't be a hero and volunteer for Hallway/Bus Monitor or PTA Chairperson! ;)

Good Luck!!

Master Pre-K

14. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

Ha! Thanks guys...they were both 2nd grade. I've taught 2nd for 2 years. I am glad I get to stay with this level. I love second graders!

I am actually graduating with a Masters in August. They already know and were ok with it...they asked me about long term goals.

WOOOHOOOOO

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007

Where in Texas?

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

17. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 11, 2007

Yippie... Congrats. I have to say, I LOVE teaching 2nd grade. Good luck!!!!

18. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Congrats Teach in Texas! Way to go!

I actually had my 1st interview today with my son's school. There are 2 possible positions. Kindergarten and 4th. I'm more qualified for the kindergarten position. I noticed on her interview schedule that there were about 12 more interviews today.

I felt that I answered most of the questions completely except for, "What are your favorite teaching methods?". She knows that I'm an alternative certification program candidate, that my Texes scores just came back last week, and that I haven't been though the summer training. I restated this of course and spoke about implementing music into lesson plans in regard to kindergarten. I did let her know that I have a huge stack of education books from courses at my home and that I would be studying all summer long. And that I plan on taking mini-courses over the internet for reinforcement. But, I was thinking, "Well, I just blew it!" I think that I was still thinking about all those other candidates while answering the question. And how they sounded more articulate and knowledgeable than me. I did send her a thank you letter via the mail today.

So, hope everyone's interviews went better than mine today.
    Take care, Sheri

19. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

San Antonio.

20. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I was an ACP student 3 years ago...they know you dont have experience and sometimes they like that! Keep your chin up!

21. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 11, 2007

Yay for you!

Now send your good luck West! ;o]

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007

Im just a little west of you in Bandera. :)

23. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 11, 2007

hijack alert:)
    I live in a suburb on the SE side of Houston, but my in-laws have a ranch outside of Rock Springs.

24. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007

Guess I did do some hijacking! Sorry!!

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

You are your own person

Way I see it, we all have a special talent, and do our own special job. Who cares if they have 12 interviewees....nobody does what you do the way you do it!!:rolleyes:

I try to be very articulate around my kids, parents and teachers...but they keep fighting me! English is a lost language. Nobody even makes an effort to spell properly anymore. Parents have created new rules for phonics with children's names! We need a week before school just to go over the roster and practice pronouncing them!

Until you sign your life away, keep smiling and keep looking!!!

Hey Exclamation Po...where in SoCal are you?? Are you searching for work in your school, or changing districts?? I think now is a good time! Only frantic folks will send resumes in August. And only desparate districts will take 'em!!:D

Master Pre-K

26. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 11, 2007

Master Pre-K I'm in southwestern Riverside county. I'm looking for work because I wasn't asked back to my school. Today I got a call for another interview for next week. I'm determined to get a job sooner rather than later!

27. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

Contracts are going to be mailed out June 22nd. You think I should keep looking? So, nothing is set in stone? :(

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

That's not how I interpret the advice at all.

I say you have a job. The advice was to always keep your resume up to date, just in case there's a next time down the road.

I say you do a happy dance and go out tonight for lobster!!

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2007

Lobster sounds Good!

Exactly Aliceacc,

Take it easy, and wait it out. I didn't get final approval on my first job until August! Even after I started, HR claimed my fingerprints didn't go thru, and I was considered temporary status!:eek:

Exclamation Po, I heard they have year round school in Riverside, Pomona, and Ontario. San Bernardino is a huge district too.

There is a good one-stop job hunting place called L.A. Works. They let you use computers, fax, copier, and phones for free! Perfect for all applicants b/c you save time and money, get leads and follow up right there! You can be in a club of job hunters, so you don't moan and groan to family and friends. :rolleyes: They also have interview workshops, and gas vouchers, if things get tight. I'll be happy to get info, if you like.

ETA: Have you tried Upland, Rialto, San Dimas, Chino and Rancho Cucamonga??