I'm kind of... bored.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, May 16, 2016.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 16, 2016

No big deal, just reflection really, but lately I've been wondering "what's next" for me in the field of education. I knew when I got into the field that I'd probably run into that issue eventually. I'm the kind of person that always likes to have a challenge - working towards a degree, working towards a promotion, moving on to the next, "better" job etc.

I'm still young and a relatively new teacher, but I think it's just the sameness that gets to me. On one hand, I love teaching the same grade because I can reuse materials and get to know the curriculum every year. On the other hand, going on my third year (next year) teaching the same subject, I feel a little stagnant.

I've got an MAT, and have thought about an M.Ed. or doctorate, but haven't really found sufficient cause to get one yet. I don't know it would benefit me career-wise or financially enough to make it worth it.

Can anyone else relate?

I do think it's better to have it be this way instead of terribly stressed... maybe I should focus on me for a bit. Take a class in something that interests me, like a language class maybe? Go to the gym? Haha not sure.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  3. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 16, 2016

I've been told the same thing you mentioned in the last paragraph a few times. If you are a real, full-time teacher, the extra advanced degree would be a nice bump in your salary in many places if you can find the time to do it. I have the MA and a JD, but I was stupid and got both of those before I entered the job market, and it has cost me.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!

otterpop likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 16, 2016

Thanks... I'm not familiar with the JD degree, is it in law or education?

I'm kind of excited now that I'm looking into taking some classes for my own, personal enjoyment. I've also thought about getting an ESL endorsement, but there's not really any monetary value to getting it where I'm currently teaching.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2016

I'm easily bored and seek new challenges. As a result I've:
    Taught a grad class
    Mentor new and student teachers
    Serve on regional committees
    Coached teachers in other districts
    Created and taught PD workshops

PallasAthena, Backroads and otterpop like this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 16, 2016

All great ideas. My school doesn't really do much in terms of PD or mentoring. I'm okay with that (I like that we get left alone). But, it does mean fewer opportunities for things like you've suggested. We have no union, so there aren't really any regional committees to join, but I could probably find something if I searched.

7. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 16, 2016

JD is a law degree. I've been trying to spin that into education. :)

otterpop likes this.
  8. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

May 17, 2016

Check out the maker movement and start innovating lessons to make them new and better. Check out George Couros' Innovator's Mindset book as well as Esther Wojicki Moonshot in education

readingrules12 and PallasAthena like this.
  9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 18, 2016

I haven't been too bored because I've been so busy lately. First off, our standards are changing, so I've been working on building new curriculum and gaining more background knowledge in areas I am weak in. I've also taken on a lot of extra (which I need to cut back on).

My elective class also spices things up for me, since I can basically do what I want. I've developed Arduino and Raspberry Pi projects, and have been recently looking into possibly doing high altitude ballooning. I'm always on the lookout for new things I can add to my science curriculum too!

PallasAthena and otterpop like this.
  10. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

May 18, 2016

Love the Arduino and Raspberry Pi! I'm a Educational Innovation Coordinator and I run our school Makerspace where I experiment with coding, robots, 20% project, podcasting and more with our faculty and students. I'd be happy to help you out with ideas

Are you on twitter? Tons of great stuff there by some amazing educators sharing great ideas.
    Fred

Peregrin5 and PallasAthena like this.
  11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 18, 2016

I was feeling like that last year - just ready for a change. I got a job as a literacy coach for our entire division and it's definitely been a new challenge! It has been a neat experience, but also has shown me that I truly love being in the classroom. I miss having my own class so much and I know when I return to the classroom in a year or two I will return with a renewed excitement.

otterpop likes this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 18, 2016

I'm not on Twitter but I do find a lot of cool stuff in Pinterest.

I'm a language arts teacher... Any suggestions for things to look into?

13. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

May 19, 2016

Our L.A. teachers have been using MinecraftEDU (soon to change via Microsoft), 3D Printing and even cardboard prototyping where they are reproducing scenes digitally or physically. One L.A. teacher also did a book binding with her 7th grade.

Here is very quick post I talked about making something from The Lord of the Flies book in 8th grade.

I'll dig up more as I get more coffee in me ;)
    Hope this helps!

Fred

otterpop likes this.
  14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 19, 2016

I was literally just thinking this the other day! I think I'm a millennial stereotype ;). The thought of being in the same position for 30+ years sounds awful to me! I've already been in 3 schools (and held different types of positions) and I've only been teaching for 6 years. However, I just found out this morning that I'll be getting a teacher resident next year. My school partnered with this program this school year, but they only accepted gen ed teachers into the program. They're expanding to sped for next year and my P recommended me. It's more involved than having a regular student teacher. I'm excited to have a new challenge to take on for next year! Does your school have any other roles you could look at taking on for something new? We have technology coaches, team leaders, curriculum leaders, etc. There should be something "new" that you could look into while staying in your current position.

15. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 19, 2016

Me too!

I'm at a pretty small school, so there really aren't many opportunities for advancement or leadership. We do have team (grade) leads, but those aren't going to change any time soon.

Eventually, I could definitely see myself in a role of a literacy coordinator or something like that. But, I'd need another endorsement and to work somewhere else. Maybe I could slowly work towards that, since I don't think I'd be ready for it for a few years still.

Just curious, what types of different positions have you held?

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 19, 2016

At my first school I taught 1st-5th sped, at my 2nd school I taught 3rd grade gen ed, my first year at my current school I taught K-6 sped, and for the past two years I've taught K-3 sped. I was very close to applying for a transfer to be a reading interventionist (for gen ed students) at another school in my district a few weeks ago, but I backed out at the last minute once I realized that all of the openings at that school were due to non-renewals.

otterpop likes this.
  17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 20, 2016

Switch to Backroads' school. Doesn't sound too boring there. Dangerous, maybe ...

MrsC and otterpop like this.
  18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 20, 2016

I'm similar to you in that I always need to be progressing and developing in some way. Even though the material is the same from year to year, though, it doesn't bore me because the way students react, our conversations, even many of the things we do around the material changes from year to year. I think you might be right that you need something else to focus on. Something not necessarily school related. You have already provided some really good suggestions. In the last year and a half I have transformed myself (lost 31 pounds, eliminated almost all processed foods), which has been done by dedicating myself to health podcasts and sufficient time in the kitchen, along with some exercise. Before that my only focus was on my teaching and constantly taking classes to learn more and improve. It's been really nice to have something in addition to my teaching to dedicate time and energy to.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 20, 2016

I'm never bored with the profession. There are always ways to grow within my school district, but mostly I look for professional development elsewhere. Last year I traveled to California and this year I have 3 workshops scheduled in 3 different places. One is fully funded. One is paid by my district, and I'm paying the other one myself, but it was Harvard and I didn't want to pass up that opportunity.