I'm hired....so now what?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by BriarRose, Jul 3, 2006.

1. BriarRose

BriarRose Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

Hey everyone,

I have been hired for a 3rd grade position and am just finishing up processing with the county. New teacher training starts July 18th but other then that I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing? I really have no clue what is going on...all I know is that I am supposed to be processed by the 7th and then going to new teacher training. Any advice??? :confused:

3. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 3, 2006

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!

You will probably find out more about what you need to do during orientation. I have been trying to decide how to decorate my classroom and what I am going to do the first week of the school year. I have not really had a chance to sit down with my principal yet, but as soon as I do, hopefully I will find out more.

4. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

congrats..

think about classroom management strategies...lesson ideas...decorating your classroom....things you need for yourself to put into the classroom....how you as an individual will unwind..lol...organization strategies

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

Hi, and congrats!!!!!

I would sit down here and read everything I could find, taking notes on anything that sounds like a good idea at your level. Then you can give some thought to those policies.

HIt yard sales for books for your classroom library. The reading levels can probably vary, as the reading levels of your students probably will.

That's all I have-- I teach high school!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

First BREATHE! and congratulate yourself!!!!! yipee!!!!:angel:

Take a look at the Florida State Standards and think of ways you might incorporate them into your lessons. If you make a copy to have on file that is good too.

You know the basic subjects already. Think of themes where you can tie in several subjects at once. Think of the big picture. Units!

I love books and think that good literature goes a long way! As mentioned, hit garage sales. EBay has some good sets of books too.

You will not be doing much teaching of subject matter the first couple, if not more, weeks of school anyway. You will have to think of procedures and the way you want your classroom to run smoohthly. Check out the good ideas on here in other threads!

Maybe you can use a template and jot down some temprorary lesson plans? I don't like the standard plan books. They don't cut it for a first year teacher.

Hope this helps a little. Most of all.... celebrate this great time in your life.:D

7. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 3, 2006

BriarRose: I am going through the same thing, I just got hired @ a private school. It is exciting to get a new job, but now I'm starting to map out all I have to do and....yikes....I gotta breathe! ;-) Definitley get a discipline plan going and once you find it works: stick to it. I'm actually waiting to find out if I'm teaching 2nd grade or 4th grade, but once I do I'm going to try and map out a year-long-plan. I am also going to try and meet with one of the vet teachers.....they are so valuable and helpful! Anyhow, one thing at a time. You will be great.
    Best of luck!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

Welcome to AtoZ, BriarRose, and congratulations on the job! What county? Grade?

Find out when you can get ahold of your teacher guides and look through the first semester material. Get a general idea of where to start and where you will be heading. I think you will get into content after the first week, actually. Start a file of games and activities that will work for your students. Many games can give you a good idea of your students' levels.

Search on this site with the keywords first week or back to school. You will find tons and tons of info.

Start buying books, books, and more books. Enjoy!

9. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Congratulations!

Look on the district site and see if you can find the curriculum for the year... start planning!

make games... buy books (yard sales, library sales...)... figure out how you are going to get to know the students, how they will get to know you... plan routines... discipline plan... community building activities...

RELAX! Have a wonderful summer. I'm sure you will find out a lot at your orientation! :)

10. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

Congrats! :) Third grade is the best. ;)

See if you can meet with your mentor (if you have one) or another experienced staff member. They will be a great resource in finding what materials you need and what curriculum you will be following.

Have a great year. :)

11. KimmyBoo

KimmyBoo Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

Congrats!!! I just got a job too and I'm in the same boat... just waiting to hear where is coming next. Right now I'm looking for books, reading lessons and strategies, making folders of filler activities etc etc. Good luck!!! 3rd grade is fun! I have fourth!

12. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

Great title...so now what?

I'm in the same boat. I've purchased lots of stuff on ebay, etc. I know what I'm teaching because I student taught in the same school. I'm wondering how do you keep the students busy for 6 hours a day if you don't start the curriculum right away? I do plan on assessing everyone's reading and doing word study...perhaps the first few days will be a good time to get routines down, etc.

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

I know the feeling 6 hours a day at the beginning of the year sounds like a whole lot of time to keep the kids learning and engaged. However, routines and procedures need to be reinforced alot so that takes up alot of time in the beginning. You can start the curriculum, and you should. How about reviewing skills from the previous year? You will most likely spend a great deal of time on assessments. I am trying to get a handle on organizing a daily plan, but once you know your official schedule with electives and such. You can work around that. You will find that 6 hours goes very fast and more time is needed in the day to accomplish everything.

14. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

Congrats! Hit the teacher supply stores for ideas. Ask someone at your school if you will have any money to spend to begin the year. My local school supply will let us shop early and they will hold the items until school starts. My district also has a teacher center where we can go to make things for our classroom. Have fun getting ready.

15. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 5, 2006

My district supplies us with at least two weeks worth of plans(so that everyone starts out on the same page) Get with your grade chair mentor(if you'll have one) Teaching routines and rituals will take up A LOT of time(model, model, model don't assume they already know) Use interest inventories to get to know your students. By the middle of the year those six hours will not seem like enough to get everything in(STATE TESTS!!!!)

16. MSNOLASCO

MSNOLASCO New Member

Jul 6, 2006

Hi & congrats!

I am in the same boat!

Make sure you talk to the person in charge at your school to find out what materials are available in the classroom so that you don't buy something you already have.

I have started to buy books, alphabet, calendar, folders, the normal things that you know you have to have in your classroom.

Setting up the classroom is a "big one" start as soon as you can, and then you can begin the "decoration"

Today I will be working in my classroom all day long :( :eek: :p

I wish I can help you more :sorry: but if I get more ideas today, I will let you know!

Good luck :angel:

msnolasco

17. BriarRose

BriarRose Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Thanks!!!

Thanks so much!!! I'm heading over to my classroom next week. The secretary said I can start coming by after the 10th. I am hitting up some garage sales this weekend hoping to find some good stuff and I have started looking at some teacher stores online. I actually found a couple stuff at Oriental Trading that I am going to get as soon as I get paid on Friday!!!! Then hopefully the last teacher will have left some stuff behind int he classroom which would be very helpful!!! I think I get a supply budget to spend but I am going to have to ask about all that when I go to the school next week. I recently found out that I have 2 additional days of training next week as well!!! Very overwhelming and I have a feeling it may be a little redundant from my college classes. But at least it wll serve as a refresher for the school year!!!!

18. joyoakes

joyoakes Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Congratulations!!! I was just hired in Pinellas county this summer as well. I am very very happy. I feel overwhelmed with all that needs to get done but I am learning to breathe and take it one day at a time. I will be teaching 8th grade science in an intermediate school for lower children. I can't wait. Anyone have great ideas for icebreakers.

Joy

19. new2dagame

new2dagame New Member

Jul 6, 2006

Hello, everyone.....I currently reside in Jackson, MS and was hired for a position at one of the local schools. I will be teaching 4th Grade Math to three sets of children and then will recieve my homeroom back at the end of the day to teach Science and Social. Teaching is not the problem for me. My problem is that I am not sure of what to do for the first couple of days. I am not sure of what my classroom rules and things like that is going to be. I guess you can say that I am very nervous and that my nervousness is over clouding my thinking. So if there is anyone out there who could really help me, I would really appreciate it. I could use some examples that worked for you inside your classroom........PLEASE HELP!!!!!

20. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

BriarRose, you are lucky...I can't get into my classroom until August 24th...uuggggghhhh! However, I do know the curriculum because I've been at the school for year, first as a practicum in 2nd grade and ST in 3rd grade. I'm more concerned about those first few days. I guess I can figure out the routines and getting assessments out of the way is a great idea, especially with reading. I just realized that I'll need to spend this time getting things up on the wall that the children have done. I'm just so excited I can't stand it.

21. BriarRose

BriarRose Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Well...

I actually got a letter in the mail today from the principal and I won't be able to get into my classroom until the 24th since that's when they are reopening the school for teachers to come back in. We do have training on the 21st so I am hoping that I will be able to see the room at least but it not I will be there a few days later. We start school Aug 3rd so everything is getting kinda crazy now!!!

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

I absolutely love the first few days of school. It lets me set the tone for the year, tune in to my kids, establish relationships, have some fun, get them to buy in to the new grade. We have lots of fun.

23. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

Me too. I soooo excited. I cannot get into my classroom until the 24th either:( . School starts on Aug. 8 for us though.

24. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

Congrats on the job :) I just got hired too, and I'm a nervous wreck, lol. I'm HS spec ed. I don't know a thing beyond that.

Our school starts in Sept. so I have a little time to figure it all out :)

25. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 8, 2006

Goodness-must have some late starters. Luckily, I can get into my school whenever I want. Last year (being my first year) I had to wait til mid July because they were remodeling our pod. But I'll probably go in and do some stuff next week since all they had to do this year was wax the floor. Workdays start Aug. 17th for us, first day of school is Aug. 25th...which is a Friday. Yeah-so off for 2 1/2 months, go for 1 day, off for 2, go for 5 days, off for 3 (Labor Day)! AAHHH!! We used to start in early Aug., but as of last year the state says we can't start before Aug. 25th, but I hear they are going back to a county by county decision. I hope so!

26. KimmyBoo

KimmyBoo Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

I really wish i would get a phone call so i had more of a clue what is going on.

27. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

Congratulations everyone!

I would suggest this first book, "The First Few Days of School" by Harry and Rosemary Wong. It's an excellent resource for getting all of your teaching routines in order. It also emphasizes the importance of lesson plans, ect. I would suggest you also try: http://www.smilemakers.com It's an excellent teacher's resource that makes better quality merchandise than Oriental Trading Company. It also has a free teacher's club which you can join and earn 10 cents for each dollar you spend. If I find my current resource books in the classroom, I'll give you the names of them as well.

AspieTeacher

28. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Jul 8, 2006

I would ask the principal if you have been assigned (or could request) a mentor teacher. If you have, contact them ASAP and schedule a get-together......that may be your best chance to find what is REALLY necessary to prepare for the year. Sometimes administrators get so bogged down in educationalese, they lose track of what counts in the "real world."

29. tfmoses

tfmoses New Member

Jul 14, 2006

Classroom Decorating Ideas

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what materials I could use in my 1st grade classroom if I decide to go with a sports theme? This is my first year teaching and the school is going with a sports theme this year. I first thought about doing stars or an ocean theme, but I thought it would be more consistent if I kept it the same as the overall school theme. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

By materials, do you mean decorative?

31. tfmoses

tfmoses New Member

Jul 14, 2006

yes