I'm having a really bad week :(

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by wpotterygirl, Mar 8, 2007.

1. wpotterygirl

wpotterygirl Rookie

Mar 8, 2007

Well, I started my first long-term subbing last Friday. I was supposed to start Monday, but she went into labor early. The kids (grade 3) did not get a chance to say goodbye. They have been in a funk since I came - fortunately, I had been in their classroom many times to sub for a day here and there, so at least they know me. I found out in a hurry that there really wasn't a behavior plan in place. They were getting plenty of rewards, but no consequences for inappropriate actions. I was not planning to change too much too soon, but after everything "hit the fan" yesterday, I talked with other teachers and we agreed that I should start from scratch and pretend it was the first day of school.

We had a class meeting today, where I told them what I expect from them, what they can expect from me, class rules, etc. For the most part it went well, but it seems as though every moment has been a struggle. I've spent 11-12 hours in my classroom every day this week and don't see an end in sight. My own kids haven't seen me all week. I am physically and emotionally exhausted. Did I mention that I have 3 students on IEPs and 5 more who are at risk? I also have the most dramatic group of little girls! Everything is cliques, being nasty to each other, crying daily about the teacher who left, etc. They all want to meet with me during recess (my lunch time) to talk. I have no intention of giving up my break, especially with the hours I'm keeping, but I can't find extra time to give to my students who really do need to talk.

Last semester I was taking 20 credit hours in college, dealing with my family of 4, and traveling with a musical ministry every weekend during Lent to perform. Why does that seem so much easier than what I'm doing now?? Help!

Peace,
    Wendy
    :)

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2007

I think you should have the kids make a card for the teacher that left, that way they can feel like she is still a part of their lives. I'm sure it's a big change for them too.

Things are overwhelming right now, but you have to keep going. Now that the rules are known. Enforce them. Keep down time to a minimum so that no one has time to be bored or chatty.

You don't have to give up your breaks, but I think having class meetings is a good way to get them to open up and trust you. Read to them, and have them share their feelings.

It's tough, but you can do it.

4. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Mar 9, 2007

The first few weeks are very hard, so hang in there!

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Mar 9, 2007

I don't have any advice, but keep your chin up - I'm sure you'll do a great job!! :)

6. teachyjak

teachyjak Rookie

Mar 9, 2007

A few years ago I took a long term assignment that I wished I never would have. It was a long six weeks and it was at the end of the year when behavior goes crazy anyway. Just stick to the rules and the consequences and let them earn free activity time also. I did this recently in another long term situation, you give them points as a whole class and when they earn so many points they choose a 30 min. free activity outside or inside. They students liked this and it did help. Hope all this helps you. teachyjak

7. wpotterygirl

wpotterygirl Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

Thank you!

I just wanted to say thanks for the ideas and support! Friday was a much better day, now that they know what I expect from them. I left on Friday at a reasonable hour, and without feeling sick to my stomach. That was pretty much how I felt the rest of the week! It just really helps to put things into perspective, which I am horrible with when I'm in a situation. I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful hubby who is a "big picture" kind of person, so he is a huge help with putting things into perspective.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Peace,
    Wendy
    :)

8. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Mar 10, 2007

Quote:Everything is cliques, being nasty to each other, crying daily about the teacher who left, etc. They all want to meet with me during recess (my lunch time) to talk:Quote

I also like the class meeting idea, but is it possible to send them to the guidance counselor for this kind of behavior? Maybe she can talk to them or give you some ideas to help you with them. Several years ago I was a long term sub for a teacher and I had 3 kids on behavior plans. The guidance counselor was wonderful!!!