I'm going to scream

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by ifightaliens, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

Jan 14, 2009

I have one class that is consistently out of control. I have a number of kids from the intensive learning class from last year (which was essentially a babysitting course - the kids were allowed to essentially run roughshod over the school) as well as regular 10th graders. So today, I FINALLY get control over the class, everyone's quiet and doing their work, and one kid who usually does what he's supposed to decides he's going to pull a book out and try to cheat on a midterm and give me attitude, and because I have to deal with him everyone else absolutely loses it, and I spend the rest of the class trying vainly to get control back.

3. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jan 14, 2009

One thing that I have learned to do about cheating students is to not say anything about it until the end of class. Then I ask that student to stay after. Or it can possibly develop into a problem and while I am dealing with that student other students may be taking advantage and cheating!

4. dtrim

dtrim Rookie

Jan 26, 2009

I agree with Budaka. Go for the subtle approach. If a student is copying from another student, move the innocent kid. If a student is copying from cheat sheets, hover over the student. If that's not working, squat down and have a word with the student.

Important! Document all of your observations and interventions. Speak to the student after class and, if possible, make the parent phone call right away, with the student at your side.

Best wishes for success!

5. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jan 26, 2009

Check out THIS.