I'm going to miss teaching :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by hanvan, Jul 24, 2007.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

I was reading some of the post in the first grade forum and I am really really going to miss teaching. I don't want to leave reese so I know I am in the right place but I LOVED being a teacher. I love buying markers, going to the teacher supply store, getting my room ready, meeting parents and kids, going back to inservices (YES I REALLY LIKE THEM). I think I might cry a little.

Don't get me wrong this is where I want to be but I am going to miss teaching too. I can go back I know but still :(

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

you sound like a true teacher! I'm sure your school will miss having you. I think once the back to school season passes, you will be too consumed with spending quality time with your family that those feelings will subside.

As you said, you can always go back...

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

I forgot to add that I also loved setting up stations and teaching them to read :( BOO HOO

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

My six years at home just FLEW!!! Not all the days; some of those took forever. But the yeas just flew.

And that, my friends, is the theory of relativity :)

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 24, 2007

Do you have room for stocking up on good deals now, putting them in bins for when you go back??

can you be a be a guest reader or other volenteer at your school?

can you find a homeschool group in your area and offer some tutoring? (this would be done during the day and you wouldn't have to do it in the evenings when you would with a traditional student)

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 24, 2007

Also what about giving a siminar or other type of instructional info about putting together successful centers. (perhaps through the library)

8. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

It will probably be a while before I go back and I don't see the point in buying things I won't use for a while-ya know?

I don't think I could do the homeschool thing...I am pretty PROpublic school and I think it would just be a conflict of my beliefs on school. :)

A close friend of mine is going back (my partner teacher last year) so I am going to help her...and my old school told me I could be a tutor there so I will probably do that.

I am just going to miss having my "own" room

9. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 24, 2007

I know how you feel. :hugs:

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 24, 2007

I wasn't implying that you homeschool, just if you wanted to be around the kids and parents the tutoring would be good because it could be when the little one is napping or something. But if you can do it at your old school then thats great.

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

You have perfectly expressed how I felt when I first started staying home! I actually found it easier to stay away from schools because I felt so bad. I visited my old school once and nearly cried when I saw the polished hallways. back to school sales were very hard when I was trying to get a job again. I found a part time job in an education related field that I could do while my hubby watched the kids. That helped!

12. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

I was working part time as a teacher but myt heart ached to be home with my daughter. I know this is right but man I loved teaching

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

Well, teaching is the 2nd most wonderful job I've ever done. The first is being a mom.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

You said it!!! :)

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

You are so right!!!

I was in school tonight, just finished my final! At the library, looking online for books for fall classes. Somebody said.."Pssst!"

It was my daughter!! I ran over and gave her a kiss and hug! :hugs: She just stared on her MBA! Said she had to print a page, and ran off to her class!

Wow, the last time we were in school together, she was 11! That was when I decided to teach. Her principal talked me into taking a teacher aide job in her school. Then she convinced me to go back to school and be a teacher. It changed my life!

For years, we rode on the bus, late at night. She was with me for almost all my undergrad classes! She sat next to me, doing her homework and eating her Lunchables.

Now she is all grown up, has her own place, car..and in school again, just like Mom!

Hope that cheered you up a bit Havan!!!

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

hanvan, have you considered online tutoring? Or teaching an online class?

17. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2007

I have thought about it but we'll see. I think it just hit me that I will miss it. But yesterday reese and I played outside, played in the sprinkler, read books (her favorite) and played chase. I wouldn't want ANYONE else doing those things with her besides me.

Heres a picture of my cutie pie :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

She's adorable!!

And while I was home I had the chance to do SO many small things with my kids... going puddle stomping (in boots and raincoats) during the rain, go to the back of the supermarket so my son could see the 18 wheelers unloading, stopping by a nearby horse stable to see the horses... tons of tiny little activities that are part of their childhood memories.

I always thought about the Seniors I had that last year before I quit. How they would laugh to see Mrs. A playing Horsie, riding a broom around the back yard with her (then) 2 year old son.

19. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 25, 2007

Hanvan, God Bless you, you sound like such a great mom and wonderful teacher!!! Your daughter is adorable! She's a lucky girl.

20. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I am currently facing the tough decision of whether or not to stay home when I have my 2nd baby in December. I know, without a doubt, that I want to take 12 weeks off, but I am struggling with the thought of going back at all.

Until I found out I was pregnant, I was seriously considering leaving the teaching field. For some reason, now that I KNOW I will be out for awhile, I realize how important teaching is to me. However, I also know that I want to be able to be a mom to my children. I had a hard enough time spending quality time with my DD this year, I can't imagine trying to do it with 2.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

My second (and third, as it turns out) was born in February. I took my 6 weeks off, finished the year, then stayed home for 6 years.

For me, the cost of child care for 2 is what pushed it over the edge.

22. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2007

I know! I can't imagine paying daycare for two.

The thing that made it "easy" for me to decide is that your kiddos are only little once and teaching will still be there.

In a way I am glad I got a little emotional about not returning. it means I truely loved my job and that when i do return I will be excited. As much as I love teaching I love reese more and couldn't imagine not being with her. I don't want anyone else raising my baby if I can help it. I am just so thankful that we are in a position to be able to afford it.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2007

this is so true

She is adorable! I know it seems years since I bundled up my little one, and dropped her off with the sitter. But I was a single mom, and had no choice. I interviewed the sitter when I was pregnant! I was in love with her from the very first moment. She's in heaven now, and I am sad that she didn't get to see my daughter all grown up!

The one thing that really touched me is when she started walking. I only saw her stand, and scoot around the couch. But when my sitter said she was walking, I was so excited! I couldn't believe it! That was the first time she walked, from her sitter to me! :hugs:

24. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks for posting those ADORABLE photos of your sweetie!

I am returning to the classroom after a nine year SAHM hiatus. My youngest is going into first grade, and the timing was perfect for me to return.

My three children are super excited for me, and are constantly telling anyone who will listen that I'm returning to teaching! It's very sweet.

25. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2007

That's the way my kids were! They knew how hard I had been trying to get a teaching position. They were proud to see me subbing but really helped around the house when I got a LTS job. Now that I have a "real" job, the only problem is that I work for an athletic rival! Boo!

26. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 25, 2007

Hanvan,
    I felt the same way the first year I stayed home with my children. I stayed home for 9 years with my three.... and when I returned to teaching it felt like the most natural thing in the world! Enjoy your time with your little one!

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

I'll send you papers to grade, if you'd like!

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2007

I could use some help with my research papers!

29. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2007

Nah...I'm good :)

30. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

hanvan---I don't think I could say good-bye to that adorable little face everyday! Your daughter is beautiful!

The cost of 2 in daycare is what is really pushing me into wanting to take a leave of absence. It will cost me an average of $1950 a month. After paying that bill, I will be lucky to bring in $800 a month. To me, it just doesn't seem worth it to work so hard and miss out on so much for such a small sum.

31. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2007

Thanks...we think shes the best but we're her parents!

That bill would def. keep me home

32. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 26, 2007

She is precious!!! And has changed so much since your avatar pic!

I know you will enjoy your time at home. I admire those who can be a SAHM... I just couldn't do it (for several reasons).

33. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 26, 2007

Your daughter is beautiful. My cousin had a baby recently. She is a speech therapist in a school and she said she wants to stay home and enjoy her son b/c he is only young once!