I'm giving my students a report card to grade ME...yikes!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 2, 2009

As part of my grad class, we have to give our students a report card on us as teachers. This is what I have so far, I'd love feedback before I pass it out. I am asking students to rate me 1 (low) to 10 (high.) I left a space for comments under all categories.

Respect
    My teacher respects me and does not embarrass me in front of my friends.
    Grading
    My teacher grades fairly. My teacher returns graded work quickly.
    Center Directions/Activities
    Center directions are easy to understand. Center activities are interesting.
    Classroom Management
    My teacher has good control of the class. The students respect her.
    Fairness
    My teacher asks people to “move their clips” up or down in a way that is fair to everyone.
    Relationship with Students
    My teacher takes the time to get to know who I am. I feel that my teacher cares about me.
    Creativity
    My teacher is creative. My teacher keeps me interested most of the time.
    Time for Assignments
    I feel that I have enough time to work on assignments or tests.
    Choices
    My teacher gives me choices (such as which assignments to complete.)
    Explains Things Clearly
    My teacher explains things in a way that I can understand. When I don’t understand something, she tries to explain it a different way.

3. word girl

word girl Rookie

Dec 2, 2009

Great! I love it! Be sure the students know they can be honest (they still might be tempted to go one extreme or the other to be provocative). You might want to rethink the comments or have another teacher read them - you want it to be anonymous right? You'll probably recognize their handwriting.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 2, 2009

[COLOR="Navy"How specific did you want to be? This may be moe than 5th graders want to read and score but...

]Include Time Management, do you spend a lot of time looking for your materials? Do you spend surplus time out in the hall talking to another teacher?

Is the room safe? Do you have electrical cords wrapped safely? Do you make sure there are no obstacles in the floor where kids might fall?

[/COLOR]

5. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Dec 3, 2009

I like your criteria, but instead of a 1-10 scale. I would think about making it 1-4 with simple criteria for each point ie 1=never 2=occasionally 3=sometimes 4=always etc. Your results will be more valid if the scoring is simple.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2009

I agree--when I am asked to rate things on a 10 point scale I always struggle with trying to get clear in my own mind what the difference really is between a 7 and an 8.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2009

Great idea. I agree with above, make it simple.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 3, 2009

I did this with my own 5th graders last year and it was really insightful. I wouln't worry too much-- realize this is about you as a teacher, not you as a person. It's a tool to help you become better and that's always a good thing :)

9. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 3, 2009

Just know that kids at this age have trouble separating themselves and their actions. "She hates me" is a common off the cuff reaction to a teacher's disapproval of a bad behavior. Memory is also awfully short at this age level. So know this feedback may not be as helpful as in older grades.