I'm getting so much done!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Aliceacc, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2007

Sure, the house is a mess and the kids haven't eaten in days.

But I'm getting lots of prep work done!

I've outlined my material for the year.

I have 11 types of verbal problems set up or partially set up.

Today I came up with 2 pages of equations; I'm working on a third.

That doesn't sound like a lot, but it translates into a lot of classtime prepped!!!

3. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Jul 14, 2007

When you are on a creative streak it is difficult to get anything else accomplished!

I have things tossed all over the house. Yesterday after buying almost 30 books at a used book store...they were buy one/get one. I got my other books out of storage and put them in excel, labeled them by genre, and put coordinating stars on them.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2007

Good for you! I'm finally feeling as though my vacation has started (was away for much of the 2 weeks since school ended) and am going to get down to it starting on Monday.

5. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I'm personally procrastinating horribly :)

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2007

I'm glad to hear someone call this madness a "creative streak"! I thought I was just a workaholoc because I LOVE researching and planning ideas for my teaching. There's just no time during the school year to do all this searching and thinking. Now is the best time! I love this!!

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2007

I have found TONS of free lesson plans online, even places like Jwalch publishers,(samples of all thieir books) I have been printing all that free stuff off like crazy, and once I print a few more things, I am going to start organizing it all. I have so many cool things for every era I will be teaching this year, I am sure I will never sit at my desk the day before I have to teach a lesson on a certain topic nearly in tears because I cannot think of one thing to do! (come on we have all done it at least once.......:D)

Once I have that done I will be laying out my plans for the year and putting it on a calender, then on to individual lessons for the first 9 weeks!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2007

Of course, after I typed that, I did nothing else all day!!!

We spent a good 4 hours out on my sister's new boat...it's a beauty!!! What a gorgeous day to be out on the ocean!!! It seats 8 and there were 7 of us, so we had lots of room. We stopped for lunch (Jordan's in Island Park for you LI'ers) and I had a wonderful cup of lobster bisque. At about 3:30 or so we went back to the marina, then went over to her mother-in-law's for a swim in the built in pool. She had a slide and a diving board... my kids were in total heaven!!!

Ribs and wings for dinner with a cold beer.

Life is just grand sometimes, ya know????

9. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

Wow, everyone sounds so busy. I have been busy myself. I have most of my lessons done. I have my notes, students notes, and tests done already. My bell ringers questions and answers are finished and in a binder under each date typed and all. I have games for test review lined up. And I also have bench marks and objectives highlighted for the first few weeks and color coded.

:cool:

10. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

Unfortunately, I haven't done anything to prepare for the upcoming year except for going on here and reading everyone's ideas. My husband and I have a 3 1/2 and a 2 yr old so my days are sooooo full. In a couple of days, we will be fostering a newborn (to be born this weekend or the upcoming week) for 4-5 weeks so my life is about to get a whole lot busier. I'm so ready to start getting ready for school but I can't find the time. For anyone who isn't in the education field and thinks that teachers have it made because we "get the summers off and don't have to work", they need to read these posts!!! Our job never ends, does it! I wouldn't have it any other way! :)

11. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

I haven't started going over my lesson plans, but I have been attending a workshop. I have one more week left!:D So far, the workshop has been interesting (last week-multigenre writing/this week-writing on demand) but I do feel like I'm losing valuable planning time. Hopefully, I will be able to put what I've learned in the workshop to good use in my classroom. I'm just starting to feel like I'm falling behind. Especially after reading about all the work everybody else is putting behind themselves!

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2007

My living space looks like an utter pigsty (under my standards), but I have found great fixtures/furniture, made two calendars (reading and writing), purchased some great new used books, and filed lots of papers into their correct categories. :) I understand where you're coming from!!

13. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

My biggest accomplishment toward my next year is buying a 5 foot tall Shakespeare poster for my wall! I love it!

14. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

On the one hand, I love the summer prep because I can prepare without that awful pit in your stomach and feeling of "I need these plans for tomorrow!!!"
    On the other hand, I'm so excited about some of the stuff I want to implement that I think "this project/activity is gonna sit here doing nothing for 2 months? I can't wait for school to start!"
    Am I crazy???

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 14, 2007

ditto :)

16. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 15, 2007

This is my second year as a teacher. I am using more paper and ink than I have ever used in my life preparing for next year. The coolest thing I am doing is building a D.E.A.R. center in my classroom. I teach at a Christian school and it is located in a church building. There is an old Baptistry in my classroom and we are sealing it off and building a platform on it, and it is going to be called "The eagle's Nest" (Our mascot is the Soaring Eagles). We are going to paint the walls around it to look like a nest, and the steps that lead up to it are going to be a waterfall. I am so excited because I think this will really motivate the kids to read more. Heck, I may even read more just to get up there in "The Nest." Also, I have had about 500 books donated to my class for our reading center, and I am going through, cataloging (sp?) them, and trying to get them shelved. It is amazingly fun! I haven't totally started on lesson plans, but I have a lot of ideas. It is going to be a great year! ~S. Kenny

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

That is SO WONDERFUL!!!

Kudos and best wishes to you and your family!!!

18. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, Aliceacc. It's going to be tough but with God's help, it will be ok. :)

19. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

Wow no you are not the only one. I am ready for school to start also.

20. hapyeaster

hapyeaster Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I was in overdrive a few weeks ago, but have stalled. We just moved...this is our 13th move in 16 years of marriage, but it is a good thing. We are back in with my mother...yes, hubby and 3 kids all with my mom! But, she will be our childcare next year, and it is going to be like having a nanny.

I have a workshop first of August, and then I hope to hit it hard. I do have my powerpoints for my procedures and first days of school complete. I need to get my other team members to plan, but they are slow to move. I wanted to have the entire year mapped out, but they did not seem eager to do it. I might just do it myself.

I did order 300 books from ebay, and I got them in a database and organized by reading level and AR points. And, I have set up my new tables in my room.

Ok, now I need to get going!

21. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I second the fact that the house is a mess. My room looks like it IS Staples. I can't even see my floor. I spent last night on the couch because I was too exhausted to try and find my bed.

22. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I have laminating to cut out...endless laminating. If anybody uses "Breakthrough to Literacy" (computer literacy program), I have laminated all my story sequence cards for ALL the books. That's 55 pages of cards, 16 cards per page. I wish I could figure out a way to post and cut at the same time!!!

I haven't done a lot of PLANNING planning, but I'll hit the ground running after tomorrow. The district is offering teachers a piece of technology equipment for their classrooms if they complete six three-hour technology classes. The last one for me is tomorrow, after which I get to order my "Elmo" document camera. Yay!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying not to freak out when I see that a lot of y'all are ready for school to start. EEK! I am SO not ready. I'm trying to comfort myself with all my excuses: I moved at the beginning of May so I'm still unpacking, I had out-of-town company twice, I'm on the team that's re-writing the district curriculum, yadda, yadda.

But I really wish I was at the point where you guys are.

GOOD JOB, people!!!!! You're an example I'll try to follow. :)

23. WindyCityGal606

Jul 15, 2007

I mapped out my year for social studies and writing. I will get Reading together once I get my hands on the basal series.
    I have my first month of llesson plans done too but I need to put them on the correct template. I just did all of this planning in a green lesson plan book in pencil so I could pace it all out. Our ISATtesting in at the beginning of March!! That's ridiculous. We lose so much precious time by having to have the kids ready by March!! We're in school till June for goodness sakes!!

24. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I just can't bring myself to get started! This is the first summer that I haven't been at school at least once a week for some sort of professional development. Right now I'm reading the second edition of Strategies That Work because I'm teaching a professional development workshop on teaching reading strategies in the content area in early August. I can't even think about planning for my new classes until that is over. I'm starting to freak out about it a bit because I've never done anything like this before!

25. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

I am at the point where i can not find anything else to do. Until I get back into the classroom July 30th . I finally got all my tests made all my bell ringers made questions and answers with the date of each day they will be given. I also finished my students notes and teacher notes. I have about two months of lesson plans done but trying not to get to far ahead at the moment. I also have to code my objectives with the date that I teach them. The only tests I have not finished are the nine week tests. We had to code the master copy with the objectives and send it to the principle. I am thankful in between camping, canoeing, and geocaching to have this much done. I am a wreck if I do not stay ahead it drives me nutsss... I have one more week of being out of town and i will be in classroom with the finishing touches..Good luck to everyone this coming school year.

26. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

How neat!!!! I envy you.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

And today I'm tackling closets!!!!

I just did Kira's (the easiest)... now I'm on to Julia's.

When I was a SAHM I did them every spring while the 2 older kids were in school. Needless to say, they didn't get done last spring!

28. WindyCityGal606

Jul 16, 2007

I completely forgot about writing up my notes in advance! Great idea!! I was going to get a box of transparencies at Staples or somewhere. I'm going to write up notes for the first month in Reading and Social Studies and see how that goes.

29. MEM

MEM Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I'm new to Grade 7 and will have 2 classes - with double language each day. You talked about "Strategies that Work" - do you recommend this book - or certain parts (ie strategies that really do work)? If so, can you supply the author's name. Thanks!

30. MEM

MEM Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Bell ringers - assume you mean a short task that the students do when entering the class? Are they things you made up yourself based on your classroom teachings or did you get them from an external source?

31. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Strategies That Work, 2nd edition is by Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis. This new edition just came out in May. Yes, the strategies DO work - they teach kids to think about their reading and ways to make new learning "stick". I would also recommend any book by Cris Tovani. Her books are specifically geared toward older learners.

32. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I finished planning for geography 2 years ago. Hurricanes still track the same, the Grand Canyon is still there. The Tsunami of 2004 still has 3 weeks worth of information. NO sense re-inventing the wheel for the sake of changing it.

I made a few adjustments. I made a board in the front of the class that I can add to the list of weekly homeworks