I'm feeling burnt out and defeated

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ghost12162014, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Ghost12162014

Ghost12162014 New Member

Jan 7, 2020

I'm a 7-12 math teacher at a small rural school. I have two classes that make my life a living hell. I'm trying to curb their behavior but the students dont budge. I've tried a multitude of strategies and none of them have worked. I have relatively no backing from administration and if i contact parents they end up just jumping down my throat. I have been struggling with my depression and anxiety ever since i got called into the superintendents office for something that was taken out of context and i got in trouble for it. I've missed a few days of school because i've been super miserable emotionally and mentally that i dread going back every day. I used to love going into my classroom but now i associate it with depressive emotions. multiple students of mine actually treat me worse than dirt. they dont listen, dont care what happens to them. i dont think i can take another semester of this punishment and i dont want to keep relying on the suicide hotline when i cant get in touch with my therapist. i dont have enough saved up to just quit and look for another job, and i dont think i can get unemployment even if i was fired. idk what to do.

3. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jan 7, 2020

Put in applications for other jobs now.

4. Ghost12162014

Ghost12162014 New Member

Jan 7, 2020

I have and i've only had one phone interview.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jan 10, 2020

You need to see a dr if you are feeling that bad. It sounds like you are really having a rough time of it there. Use your sick time up. You might be able to check into disability. Ask your therapist.
    I am thinking teachers can get unemployment. Just not in June, July, and August when they are still getting checks. I could be wrong, but check into it in your state. It could really lift your mood knowing you don't need to return.
    I have observed a school/ class like you describe before. I have no clue how you do it. I am really sorry! The most of me wants to yell, "Quit!" However, I know it is harder to do when you need a paycheck. Is there any way you could live on less and get an easier job outside of the school system? Wishing you the best!