I'm expecting pink slip...anyone else?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luckyal29, Feb 18, 2009.

1. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Feb 18, 2009

So far the recession hasn't affected me at all until now.

Things in CA look dire with the state looking to cut billions from education. I was hopeful that the federal stimulus would help but GOP senators reduced the amount of funding.

The P and the teacher union pres said things were bad weeks ago but I held hope. Rumors were abound that class sizes would increase. I had a friend get a pink slip before but then was kept on as the district realized they had funds. This time looks to be different.

Anyways the senority list came out last week and I was at the bottom. It's my 1st year. This week the union rep passed out a letter. It basically said expect a pink slip for sure and don't expect it to be rescinded.

I'm not worried. Everything is out of my control. Financially I'm fine. I'm still taking my vacation in summer. The only thing that bugs me is that I have to fill out all these **** applications to school districts again and I doubt many will be hiring.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 18, 2009

Our superintendent sent us all an email today (just an hour before it hit the news channels) telling us that we would be losing 145 positions for next year. Most of those positions will be through attrition, so that is good. I am not expecting a pink slip, but I am really feeling for those who are having to worry about it right now! I hope your job is safe, luckyal!

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 18, 2009

Is there any chance that they'll be hiring again in the fall after the stimulus pkg. is distributed???

5. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Feb 18, 2009

They said any chance would be "a couple days before school starts." Enrollment numbers would be more certain there. Even if they hired back a couple teachers, they'd have to hire the other teachers who have more seniority first.

6. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Feb 18, 2009

Around here, many are being given pink slips. My district has been holding out for quite some time to try and keep staff so we will not have to make any cuts during this academic calendar. For next school year, all 1st year teachers to the district will be put in a lottery to see who gets to keep their job and who will be given the boot. So, that's me...not sure what the exact chances are or how many teachers they can keep.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2009

I will also be getting a pink slip. This will be my second time going through this. This is my first time knowing that I will NOT have a chance to be rehired. Things just do not look good. :(

8. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Feb 19, 2009

I'll be getting one March 15th. My district is giving them to ALL probationary employees ( I am in my 2nd year) and even some permanent. My P is hopeful that it can still work out but I am trying to brace myself that this could really happen. I have the perfect situation now, working at my kids school, and I don't think I will be teaching next year if not here.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2009

I'm not getting one but I am worried about all of our beginning teachers. We are closing 2 schools and the budget looks worse every time they talk about it. I have quite a few friends who would be affected. We are beginning a grass roots plea to the Board to save employees by allowing the other employees to give up one or two days pay in order to save jobs.

10. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Feb 19, 2009

There's a slight chance I'll be "destaffed." My district is huge and they are making cuts, but most of it will be done through attrition. If my school loses 2 teacher positions I'll be destaffed. Kinda like a pink slip..but not really. It just means I no longer have a position at my school, but I will interview at other schools in the county that have openings. (If I don't hav ea position by summer from interviewing they will place me at a school...not usually a desirable school...but a job nonetheless.)

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2009

My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone in a precarious position.

12. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2009

It's ridiculous! It's halfway through 3rd quarter in most districts! Prayers to all of you! Believe that all things work together for good! There's more in store for you!

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 19, 2009

It's no better in private schools either--- we were told all full-time faculty will get a raise, nothing has been mentioned about firing anybody though (THANK GOD). As THE 5th grade science teacher, I think I'm pretty safe--- the sci dept is pretty small considering the other depts and I cover 1 whole grade (if I leave nobody will know the curriculum at all--- I was at least given some help from the retiring teacher).

I was talking to my mentor though and she said she could easily be fired--- she teaches humanities and social studies in 4th grade and could just have her classes divided to the other teachers.

So we're scared too--- because of my loans I would prefer to keep working so I can pay those off as soon as possible. One day at a time.

My prayers and thoughts go out to all of you who have been told you'll lose your job--- I would be very upset to know I'd never see my kids again.

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2009

My heart goes out to any that are let go, though we haven't heard from anyone yet

15. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Feb 19, 2009

Isn't it too early to predict how the stimulus funding will really effect each school district in each state.I hope each of you good luck.

16. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 19, 2009

This is only my second year at LAUSD. I expect to get one.

17. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Feb 19, 2009

Is this something that would take effect IMMEDIATELY or once the year concludes? I'm assuming they will let you finish the year?

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2009

Yes, they will probably let you finish the year. I honestly never heard of a district sending out pink slips in March and then saying bye bye. That's kinda weird, but I'm sure it MIGHT happen. I think the pink slips are more for the following school year, not the current one.

19. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Feb 19, 2009

The pink slips are for next year. Apparently there is a law that we need to be notified so many days ahead of time...

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 20, 2009

Yesterday our super promised that he was doing everything humanly possible to keep all the jobs, but I'm still worried.

If you get a slip, how is it given? Does your P call you in for a meeting? Is it mailed?

21. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2009

I got RIF-ed from my first teaching job. I got a letter in the mail and also my principal told me in person IN FRONT OF MY KIDS! Not a good day....

22. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 20, 2009

What was she THINKING?? You poor thing.

23. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Feb 20, 2009

I've got a pretty good chance of being pink-slipped, but it is not for sure. I'm a third year teacher, and there are not many 2nd and 1st year teachers behind me, so I don't have high "rank".

My principal told me yesterday that she wanted to keep me, but she hasn't been told how many she had to cut and if she has to cut...well, I'm non-tenured and just about everyone else is tenured so you do the math.

I just dread filling out applications again PLUS will districts even be hiring? I'm trying to pray about it because I know God has a plan and is in control even in the midst of turmoil....

24. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 20, 2009

My city I work in just announced it will be laying off around 200 people across the board, 'Including teachers..."

I'm in a weird spot as an art teacher, my state mandates that all children get it so I'm in a little bit better of a predicament. However I went through all this last year too and technically got pink slipped because the wording on my contract said temporary.

I'm not the lowest on the totem in my area anymore which is good and we have an art teacher retiring (possibly) in the district. I just hate the worry and the stress. I bought my first home this summer and all I can think about is affording that mortgage if something happens.

It's just frustrating and sad, I absolutely love where I'm at.

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2009

In my district they tell the teachers who are getting pink slips in private but they do it the last hour of the last teacher work day at the end of the year.

26. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 21, 2009

I found out that they're going to keep the teachers at my school--- instead none of the admins are getting raises and they fired about 10 business people. I was happy to see that they took these steps to keep the teachers at the school, though I'm shocked about some of the business people they had to let go. But I guess you can't have a school without teachers.

27. frogger

frogger Devotee

Feb 21, 2009

What scares me is I haven't heard anything from my district and I think they maybe doing this to keep us in the dark - I'm new so I would be the one to go.

28. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2009

Our district is using a seniorty list based on service within the state, not the district! Good thing for me.
    I counted and there are at least 20 with less seniority with the same credentials, in the district and 9 within our building.
    I worry about my co workers with 2 and less years experience.

Not a fun time, but it is out of our hands, so worrying about it is not going to help.

I know that my children's school district is opening a new elem and has 14 posted openings presently.

29. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2009

worst time to be graduating :(

30. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Feb 21, 2009

:sorry:
    Last year I got a RIF. I was pulled from class and relieved by someone who had just gotten a RIF and was crying.
    I was so :mad::mad::mad:
    I had never felt so disrespected in my life. I work hard at my job and I take it very seriously.
    We have a new super and he promised me he would personally meet with me after school to deliver my RIF. I respect the man for being honest about what to expect but respectful in the delivery of bad news.

31. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2009

My RIF did happen 16 years ago and ended up being a good thing. It made me seek out a job in an area of the state where I wanted to move, and I'm still in my second school. Things do evenutally work out.

32. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Feb 22, 2009

What bothers me is how little thought is put into the elimination of positions in education. How many people have jobs at the department of education with enormous salaries and nobody really knows what they do.? It seems it is always teachers or low-salaried office workers who take the hit.The fact you might be an excellent teacher has nothing to do with keeping your job or being budgeted out.It is a very sad and stressful situation.I wonder if the colleges are cutting back on their education department,or do they still tell students that there are many jobs out there.

33. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Feb 22, 2009

Are entire district is not replacing anybody that retires and everybody else will get a pay cut of around 6%. They are trying not to fire anybody.

34. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Feb 23, 2009

We were just informed today that we'll be losing six teachers in our school next year...and each school in our county is expected to lose 3-10. That adds up quickly! Plus, that means class sizes will explode. Next year I could have 23 kindergarteners! Yikes!

Am I scared? Hell yes. I'm a first year teacher, so I could be the first to go. I wish everyone well that's going through this. Good luck to everyone.

35. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Feb 23, 2009

I hope they're being honest with them. The group that graduated after me is taking parapro jobs...certified to teach, but can't get a job.

36. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2009

I know when I got "pink" slipped. It was a little of a let down that it wasn't "pink". I know that sounds dumb...but then why call it that. I also showed my principal, she had never seen one before. I knew it was coming so it wasn't such a shock, but it was just funny how everyone reacted when it wasn't "pink."

I wish you all luck as you look for a job or get laid off.

37. ReadytoTeach

ReadytoTeach Rookie

Feb 23, 2009

In response to Yank7's comment, at least at my college they are not cutting back on their education department. I will be graduating in May of this year. When I entered the department we were all told about the enormous need for teaching jobs. Now there aren't any for us or for already established teachers!

38. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2009

I recently spoke with the dean of the science education department at my university. He told me I would be in a good position because of my specialty area, but that it is a very rough market for the new grads in other areas--they can't get interviews. I think he is probably being pretty up front with all potential incoming students, especially the bio majors, who appear to have it the worst (in the sciences).

I really feel for all those people. I know most of them have to have a pile of student loans to start paying off.

Colleges don't tend to relate much to the job market directly. Departments go up and down in size depending on how incoming students perceive the job market. For years, students were told not to go into geosciences because there were no jobs. In the 80s and early 90s, this was perhaps true, but as departments downsized or closed and enrollment dropped, it is now at a point where jobs outnumber graduates. Recruiters come to our university and drop serious coin taking us out to dinner, new computers and software, all sorts of things and most of them don't even hire undergrads. They just want to try to get the undergrads hooked so they can snag them upon masters completion. Enrollment numbers are climbing, but not as much as the job market. It is a good degree to have right now. I would predict a similar situation at education departments--enrollment gradually drops as students and guidance counselors hear about the tough job market, then the jobs will bounce back and there probably will be some teacher shortages, and eventually it will even out again for a while.

39. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Feb 24, 2009

The state university that I am attending is having problems with their budget. Because students that are currently enrolled are taking less hours, but they are still considered full time. This is putting a strain on the student life department because that are having to but some programs--which in my opinion should of been cut a long time ago. Like, the diversity department (there is so much that you can do), the health center (no more free lunch for the docs and rns), the rec ports (oh no, how will we be able to pay off out million dollar center, and countless others.

Many districts are freezing salaries, cutting staff b/c sales tax revenues and property taxes etc...But one thing is some districts are not revealing and fading out positions that get 80k--a positions that we, the general public, do not no all their job responsibilities.

I moved to Texas from Ohio and to say the least I am glad I did...THe job market is better than others....thats why I got here has quickly as I could.

40. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

I received my RIF notice last Wednesday. :(

41. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Mar 4, 2009

We just heard that ours are in the mail- but i am holding out hope b/c from what i hear they do this every year here. My worry is that my position won't be here next year- my salary came from a grant to do fullday kindergarten so if it is a grantthis year where will my salary come from next year?? i'm getting married in Nov and would really like to have a job then!:unsure: