I'm Excited

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by peachieteachie, Jul 11, 2007.

1. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Just felt like sharing some news with everyone: I spent the day at the school I am going to be teaching at and got to see my room for the very first time. I already knew I was going to be in a trailer and was trying to think positive even though I thought I wasn't going to have a lot of space. Boy was I wrong! I have plenty of space. I set up the classroom furniture and it is roomy. Unfortunately, they gave me a plastic chair to use at my desk so I will have to purchase a more comfortable one but oh well. I also got my class list. As of right now I have a total of 19 students - 10 boys and 9 girls. I still have a lot to do, but I am excited for my first year of teaching :)

3. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Congratulations and have fun planning this summer!!

4. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 11, 2007

Congrats :)

I was in a trailer for the last two years. They are workable with some thought. I get to go back in the building this year (am excited). I e-mailed the principal for the additions to my class list but she hasn't e-mailed me back yet. Oh well I might stop by there tomorrow just to see.

5. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Getting ready for the first day of school is always exciting to me. The more I read these threads, the more I get excited about going back. I think it's so much fun getting the classroom ready and seeing everybody. It won't be too long and school will be just around the corner. I'm looking forward to going to the teacher stores. Anyway, congratulations and have fun!

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2007

19 students sounds great. The class I student taught in had 29 and I think I might end up with 30 kids in my class.

7. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 11, 2007

I'm in a brand new portable too--it's awesome. Not quite done yet, so I can't get a key to get in to work. It's so cool, and even has an enclosed office space inside with a sink and counters so I can put my microwave somewhere other than on top of a file cabinet! :-D

On another note, I'M EXCITED because today I got my tenure letter in the mail from the district! Woo-hoo! Two years and now some security!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

That sounds like a great set-up. You will have your own little family in that portable.

Way to go, srh.

9. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Wow srh that does sound really nice!

10. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I would'nt worry much about needing a comfortable chair..............................spend your money on comfortable shoes!

11. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I totally agree about the chair, I didn't spend much time in mine at all. Comfy shoes will be much better. I remember my first year teaching and how bad my feet hurt at the end of the day.

12. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

My chair is occupied... by my bag.

I feel more awake, in control and enthusiastic when I'm standing.

13. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Oh believe me, I will be standing most of the time - walking around the room helping the students and so on. But as a first year teacher I plan to come in early and/or stay late to grade and plan so when the kids aren't in the classroom I'll be using my desk. I find I work better at the school then at my home. At home I get too easily distracted.

14. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Congrats on the job. Sometimes I wish I had something you'll have in a portable--privacy! The teacher next door to me yells all the time (my kids laugh about it) and the two across the hall have very little control and you can here their kids all day.

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 12, 2007

Be sure and check and see if there is a supply room of extra furniture. Probably not because they probably used it all to put in the portables. Comfortable shoes are a must, but I want my comfortable chair also. When you go to buy it, be sure and sit on it and be sure it is comfortable for you.

16. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Thanks! I really do need to get comfortable shoes this year. That is more important than a chair :)

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

Congrats on your first year peachie! I agree with both the comfy chair and shoes!

SRH- I get tenure too! I just have to make it to the first day of school. In NJ, you need 3 years and 1 day:)

18. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 12, 2007

leighbball: Congratulations! It's funny how that makes you feel just a little bitter better, huh?! Mine is actually effective on the first day of school too--I'll be starting my third year!

19. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I will have 20 kids plus a full-time aid. I feel really fortunate to have her!

20. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Wow, you are fortunate to have a full time aid in fourth grade. I don't think fourth grade gets an aid at all in my school , only K, 1 and 2.

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

We have aides in k and the special ed self-contained rooms.

SRH- Does tenure carry over to other districts in CA? It doesn't in NJ. I'm actually going into my 5th year of teaching but taught in a different district my first year so that doesn't count towards my tenure:-(

22. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Congrats peachie! I just wanted to let you know my most memorable year in elementary school was 6th grade. It was the only year I was in a portable and my teacher made it AWESOME! Because we weren't in the school, she used the opportunity for the class to get their "sillies" out by singing loud, teaching in a very exuberant fashion, AND the best part- during standarized testing (or other "tedius days") she would turn on some FUN music, then have us run around the portable, back in the room, then stretch and we would be ready to work again! Enjoy! :)

23. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 12, 2007

leighbball: Hmmm...that's something I'm not sure about. I would guess that no, it's not necessarily across the board. Even the use of induction programs and "temporary/probationary" status vary greatly as far as I know. So I'm counting my blessings. I also think it IS pretty true that all bets are off (or at least "dinged") if teachers change districts. There's a lot said about continuity within a district. I plan to stay in this district if possible anyway, since I'm an "older" new teacher with only about 15 years to retirement. Or until the government moves all the benefits to over 65!!