I'm emotionally wiped out...please listen

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ghost, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 14, 2008

Today is only our 4th day of school. One of my little boys is in the hospital...hasn't been able to stay awake since Saturday. He has shunts for hydrocephaly and when they were drained, it did nothing. He has "germies" (I think it means bacteria) in his cerebral spinal fluid and may undergo brain surgery tomorrow. It will be his 9th since January and his 28th total in 8 years! I am so upset!

AND then today, my brittle diabetic came in fussing. Her sugar was extremely low. I tested her blood about every hour and I just couldn't get it up! She passed out on the playground and we had the hardest time getting anything in her to bring her sugar up...I think she had a diabetic seizure during the process. She had 2 juices and three packages of Goldfish crackers and 1/2 a tube of icing gel and her sugar level was only 127. :eek: (Averages 200 on a normal day). The nurse called to have her picked up and grandma/momma (long story) completely blew me off when I tried to explain what was happening. So, I'm completely exhausted physically and mentally and emotionally.....and now I'm going to go have a good cry. Thank you for listening.

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

-hugs- i'm sorry about the sick kids...

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

Hang in there. Either one of those things would be difficult to deal with in one day. :hug Take it easy tonight.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2008

I feel for you! You're in for a trying year. But remember, no matter how many troubles your students have, don't let it start affecting YOU physically to the point where you're stressed out on a daily basis, having insomnia, dreading Mondays because you know you'll have to face the kids again, getting headaches & other physical ailments, etc., etc.

I know it's worrisome, but there's a point where you have to clear your mind of the kids' problems & focus on your own health & well being. If you're already emotionally drained & it's only day 4, a change will have to be made or you'll be beyond frazzled halfway through the year. :(

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 14, 2008

Sorry to hear about your day.

Dealing with medically fragile kids is hard work!

It will get better.

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 14, 2008

You are a very special person who obviously cares deeply for your students. Have your cry - get it all out, and then try to think about the positive things that have happened so far. :love:

8. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

Hang in there. Sounds like you care but don;t let it rule your life. In other words try not to take it home with you. I know it hard. I have two students that are diabetic they are 8th graders though. I havent been through what you have and I am sorry it has been so trying. Hang in there and don't let the parents get to you. You did a good things with those kids and you know it. Keep up the good work and don't get down.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

I'm glad that you are letting yourself have a good cry; that always makes me feel better! It will get better...hopefully if day 4 was your most trying, things will just get better for the rest of the year. I will be praying for the little boy who has to undergo surgery again, and the mom who wouldn't listen to you. Let us know how tomorrow goes. Good luck :)

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 14, 2008

Oh my goodness, have you considered wine and chocolate? I will be praying for you and your students to have a great year from here on!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2008

:hugs:

12. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

:hugs: I hope everything starts looking up for you soon!

13. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 14, 2008

Oh wow, you've had a rough week. :hugs: I know I'd be emotionally shot too.

14. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2008

My nephew is a brittle diabetic. 127 is a normal range, 200 is too high of a blood sugar even for a young child. See if you can get a hold of her diabeties doctor and get training in how best to deal with her diabeties. My nephews doc was more than happy to set that up.

Also try a 15/15 fix next time. 15 grams of carbs, 15 grams of fat, and check sugar in 15 minutes. Juice is fine in an emergency, but it will cause the blood sugar to crash even lower if you do not follow it up with some fat.

15. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 15, 2008

:hugs:

I am type 1 diabetic, and I always do a 15/15/15 for low sugar, however 127 is not low.

15 grams of fast acting carbs
    15 grams of protein
    check glucose every 15 minutes...

200 is not "normal" esp. for a child, in fact it should not be above 140.

I will be praying for you, and these students. :hugs:

p.s. my husband (nurse) saye to tell you that milk and peanut butter are the two best glucose risers....they get the sugar up, and b/c they are longer acting foods, they keep it up....hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

I was going to say the exact same thing....my son is a type 1 diabetic. 200 is way too high. My son's endo would get really mad at me if I let him average that high for more than one meal without calling her.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

This too...especially the part about getting the sugar up only to have it crash...you NEED the protien to keep it up.

18. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 16, 2008

We just got the signature required to contact the doctor....I am on the verge of making that call. Besides being a brittle diabetic, she also has Down Syndrome, which means I can't really reason with her that she needs to drink water, eat crackers, etc. Yesterday her sugar was 538!

The only reason I gave her juice is that's all I had and was fortunate that I'd picked up some at lunch that kids were tossing out (unopened). I would have preferred milk too.

Any ideas besides peanut butter? Our wing is a peanut free zone due to several severe allergies. Would cheese work? I usually have some string cheese in the fridge for lunch.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

String cheese and milk would work. If her sugar is swinging that widely she needs to be admitted to the hospital. If my son's sugar was 538 his endo would have admitted him ASAP.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2008

Oh, they do sell diabetic protien/sugar boosters. You can get them at walgreens. They're good to have around in a pinch. Milk chocolate is another good emergency substitute (but back it up with something more substantial).

21. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2008

Trinda, watch her sugar, and pay attention to how the parents are dealing with things. IF for any reason you think her life is at risk, call the doc. A sugar of 538 can cause ketoacidosis a condition that can kill! You have to check the keytones to find out, but that is usually a pee test, there is a tester for keytones, you may need to contact the doc and tell her the situation and ask for one for the school (the tester companies give diabeties clinics ones to give away free)

String cheese is good, but the one my nephews doc said to use (remember I have custody) carnation instant breakfast, mixed with milk, worked great. cheese and cracker packages are also good.

22. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Aug 16, 2008

Having a lot of diabetics in the family, I too am shocked that someone would think the 200 would be a good level. 127 would be a good level. Like someone else said you don't really want it to be above 140. I am curious. Who told you that it should be 200?

I also had a student with diabetes before who needed to be closely monitored. It is hard work! I hope everything works out!

23. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

I do have the ketone test strips, but she isn't potty trained and I haven't yet been able to get her to pee in the toilet. I have already told the P that if this continues, then I am making a call because I can't live with myself when this poor baby is being neglected medically. Speaking of carnation instant breakfast, they do have premixed ones....do you think it would work?

I am feeling very very stupid because before my gastric-bypass, I was Type 2 diabetic and my normal level (80-100) is low for her. I only had one hypoglycemic incident--and my sugar was 35 at the time. I never got higher than 225 either. I just stuck to my diet and took my pills like I was instructed and didn't have many problems, so she is really stumping me.

One of the problems we have is that there are NO guidelines. I just took her sugars and averaged them to get one as a "typical" If she's over 200 I'm supposed to do a ketone test--which I've never been able to do. When she was 86 it was hypo for her...clammy and shaking, etc. At 558, she was clumbsy and sleepy. But she is fine when it's around 200....and since she has Down Syndrome and little speech, I have to use her behavior to judge whether or not to test her....and I have erred on the side of caution and tested her A LOT. There is no real answer....just thinking out loud....um, with my fingers????

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

25. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

((((Trinda))))

It can be hard working with medically fragile children. Actually...it always is no matter how far you distance yourself. If you think she is being medically neglected, please don't hesitate to call Child Protective Services. I couldn't imagine how bad that little one must feel. Those children are so lucky to have you. I'll keep your kiddos in my prayers.

26. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

Yes the pre mixed ones are the ones my nephews doc said to use, they were a quick and easy solution, and if you have a fridge, well tasty enough to get even a stubborn child to drink them,.

Each diabeties doc that deals with children have plans for the schools to use as guidelines. Each one is pretty specific to the child. You have the permission to call the doc, you must do this tomorrow. Lay out your concerns about the keytones, and ask about the precision tester, (its the one that does sugar and blood keytones) Also ask for a diabeties plan.

Document every time you feel there is neglect of her medically, every time! My nephews mom lost custody because she would not take care of him, so now he lives with us. His sugar before he came averaged in the 360's, now the average number is around 120's. My nephew also acted as if he felt normally when his sugar was in the 250's and terrible when it was in normal range. It was a sign he had been too high for too long. As we got his numbers under control, he began to feel normal in normal range....but it took a few months.

If you can, and the parents are willing to listen, see if they will consider an insulin pump for her....a lot easier to control, and if they get the continous blood glucose monitor with it, you will hear an alarm when it goes to high or to low. I am sure it will make life easier for everyone.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, you have a tough job in front of you.

27. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

Ugh! I think it's the same here...she feels better in the 200's and when she gets to 80, she is low.

An insulin pump isn't viable for her. She has Down Syndrome and gets very agitated when upset and will thrash around and tear at her clothes, so she would pull the line out, not to mention keeping the pump on her waist band.

Today her sugar was 358 2 hours after lunch....her mom refused to pick her up saying that she was "manipulating" me to go home. Yeah, I don't get it either. I finally just went to admin and said I was gonna call and the AP had me do it in his office with him present. Dang, dang, dang! I hate this!

On the other hand, my little guy in the hospital is starting to wake up and he is beginning to respond to the antibiotics. He will have to have his shunts replaced, so there will be at least one surgery, but he's getting better :)

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

I'm confused...you called the parent with theAP present or CPS? I really hope you called CPS...this little girl's life is in danger.

29. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

I called CPS. After the mother told the nurse that the doctor didn't adjust the insulin and that she did it herself added to the fact that when we faxed a request to the doctor, they sent us a form for the parent to fill out (later found out that they had turned them away for not complying with directives) AND being told that the child is manipulating me to go home....I couldn't live with myself if I didn't call today! I was so on the verge on Friday.

I totally agree that her life is in danger and I said that to the AP and CPS. I also offered to take her if they needed to remove her from the family. They won't of course, but I would.

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

That's what I thought you meant, but I wasn't sure. I'm glad you took that step. Keep us updated on her progress.