I'm drowning!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Carissa, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Carissa

Carissa Guest

Oct 18, 2016

I am a first year teacher. I teach high school special education. To be honest I feel like I am drowning. The paperwork, lesson planning, classroom management and dealing with a paraprofessional who does not respect me has me feeling defeated. I am constantly questioning whether or not I am or ever will be a good teacher and I just can't keep up. The to do list is daunting and doesn't end. I'm starting to doubt myself. I am in desperate need of some words of encouragement. Is it normal to feel this way?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2016

Yes. It's normal. Breathe. It does get better, I promise!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 18, 2016

I think an unprofessional coworker can put a lot of weight on your shoulders, ruin your mood and make you doubt yourself. I would try to figure out a way how to handle that, either become more authoritative (you are the teacher after all), have a talk with this person, or something else. After that, things might seem easier.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 19, 2016

Are you the only special education teacher at your school? If not, see if you can acquire a mentor relationship, either official or unofficial. You may not be in lock-step with the other teacher, but you can bounce ideas around as you plan.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2016

I agree with catnfiddle to see if you can be provided some sort of mentor, either another special education teacher or a general education teacher who can help. The biggest thing about paperwork is to have an organized system that works for you. Have you talked to admin about the paraprofessional?