I'm dreading going in

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Charlie Trahan, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Charlie Trahan

Charlie Trahan Rookie

Nov 10, 2019

So it's Sunday night and tomorrow will mark two weeks until Thanksgiving break. Im exhausted planning for 4 grades. My school is an alternative behavioural school and we even take kids other alternative schools suspend permanently. But even given some of the horrible behaviours I deal with some kids truly make it worth coming in. However, my principal really makes me hate my job. She has told me, "because of your name i thought you were a man before the interview...i was disappointed when you showed up", "yoyr coming here as this pretty girl..." and she has said some really supportive things but last week she really rubbed me the wrong way...we have surveys asking how our week went 1-5 and I put a 2 cause I sent a kid to the principal almost every day, kids leaving my class (cause they are allowed to) and had 4 people through my room in one day and observations almost daily. I was tired and just done with behaviours. On my outlook next week i put a 3 cause at the moment thats how i felt since that week was going terrible. Well after an assembly on Friday I was working pick up duty and feeling way more optimistic since the weekend was here and that meant I got to recharge. Well my principal walks up and one teacher mentioned she had an issue with the principal calling teachers out in front of parents and students, the principal looked at me and said, "well ms.trahan is lucky I didn't ask if she was okay in front of the whole assembly." To say i was embarrassed is an understatement. I thought those surveys were between teachers and the principal and confidential. Had I known Id be called out for telling how that week went for me I would not had turned it in at all. So here's to dreading tomorrow.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 11, 2019

Oh, so sorry your P did not turn out to be as nice as you 1st thought. That happens at times. The P has some nerve saying she was disappointed you were not a man.
    I observed a lot before I spoke as a younger person. I noticed new teachers who told admin that they had problems or had a hard week, or wanted to improve in some area, were often eaten alive. I just smiled a lot and pretended I was fine a lot.
    After yr 1, I met a teacher I trusted a lot. We were bf's for many years. She told me how to solve certain problems and helped me a lot. The more seasoned teachers you can befriend can help you. You have to be careful though who you trust in schools.
    As time goes on, you'll learn ways to cope and make things go smoother. It is good you like the population you work with!!! I have always been careful about "how much and what" I tell admin. I became more open about somethings when I no longer really needed the job.

bella84 likes this.
  4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 11, 2019

Tired is so right about finding a "school bff." I had one at my last school and sometimes the only way either of us survived was by venting to each other. You have to be very careful that you find the right person, so your business doesn't turn into gossip. In my case, my bff was great, and we are still close friends today, even though we are half a country apart.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 11, 2019

Your P sounds borderline abusive. You may have to stand up to her in a careful and kind way down the road if it doesn't stop. For the most part, I'd stay away from her as much as possible.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2019

Is this a public school? I am guessing from your spelling that this isn't an American school, but hopefully at least some of this should apply...
    "She has told me, "because of your name i thought you were a man before the interview...i was disappointed when you showed up", "yoyr coming here as this pretty girl..."
    That sounds like sex discrimination and bordering on harassment -- document it and report it to HR and/or your union, if you have them. Just because your P is also a woman doesn't mean she can't discriminate against you.
    I would also work on finding a new position for next year -- just document everything so it can't be used against you if you aren't renewed.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 12, 2019

Why did she hire you if she wasn't happy you were a woman? Did someone else hire you? What kind of school is this? She seriously needs to be reported to HR.

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Nov 29, 2019

Just do the job and try not to be so sensitive. Approach the job like you are going in to battle ! You will slay on Monday.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Nov 29, 2019

Milsey, what kind of advice is this?

Linguist92021 likes this.
  10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 30, 2019

Just Milsey being Milsey. ;)

Linguist92021 likes this.
  11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom