I'm doomed...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Zabeth, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Zabeth

Zabeth Rookie

Feb 15, 2012

I've just been prebooked at a school I've never been to, about 30 minutes away, to teach grade 7 math and French. I would never have taken the job, had I not gotten the call from a live person who had me recommended by a friend who was standing right there while the call was being made.

Let's count the potential hazards, shall we?

1) It's teaching French, and I know not a whit.

2) It's teaching math, my very weakest subject (next to French, that is!)

3) It's teaching a grade I've only taught once before in my three years of subbing (and my strength is K-3!).

The one saving grace is that there will be a student teacher. I'm hoping against hope that that person will be able to take on all the actual teaching.

I'm just going to breathe through it and do my best ... there's nothing else to be done at this point.

3. Zabeth

Zabeth Rookie

Feb 15, 2012

Well, I thought about it some more and decided to do the right thing and call the school back to turn down the gig. I would have done a great disservice to those kiddos by taking this job.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2012

I was going to suggest that you do the very thing. Good decision.

5. Art_Educator

Art_Educator Rookie

Feb 15, 2012

As an Art teacher subbing many subject areas, I get that all the time.

What I do is use the opportunity to let the students "teach me" the subject, documenting the students' understandings of the topic and giving them an opportunity to show off their skills... It really isn't about what I know or learn, the way I see it, it as what the kids know and learn.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2012

A sub's job is to FOLLOW THE TEACHER'S PLANS...not to test the kids, or have them teach you what you don't know.... If you don't feel you can follow the guidelines left for you, don't take the job.

7. Zabeth

Zabeth Rookie

Feb 16, 2012

No kidding, czacza, which is why I decided it wouldn't be prudent to take the job ultimately.

I truly felt it'd be a disservice to them (the kids) to "fake it," so decided the best course was to turn down the job.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2012

Then you made the right decision. I was responding to the advice you were being given.

9. Zabeth

Zabeth Rookie

Feb 17, 2012

Sorry if I came across as crusty, czacza. I want to do the right thing as a sub, and really pride myself on handling things professionally. I was annoyed at myself that I didn't manage this situation right away.

I guess my "take away" from this episode is to ask what the assignment is upfront before agreeing to take it on.

Sigh... maybe when I'm elderly, like some of you all, as opposed to being a tender young thing of 47, I won't make any slip-ups at all!

Happy weekend, everyone!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2012

Haha! The elderly thing has broken thread barriers! :haha: