I'm done

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sammyrams, Jul 23, 2009.

1. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I have done interviews got far in each process then nothing. I have spent 5 years in this profession and really feel that I am done. It stinks because I owe over 50 grand for my degree, but I really feel that I am done. I think I am going to pursue my own business of some sort and go from there. It is a shame that the colleges keep shuffling out graduates to an already way oversaturated field.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2009

sammy~I'm so sorry you feel this way. I hope that something comes your way soon. Have you thought about opening a teacher's store?

4. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 23, 2009

That would be nice, but living here in Chicagoland, we have a ton of them and they are very nice, it would be hard to compete. I am looking to do child care out of my home and maybe eventually venture into doing a small pre school. I would love to get into special education advocacy, but have no idea how.

5. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

I've done childcare out of my home, and while it can be a lot of work, it can also be very rewarding.

Good luck to you, I wish you well.

6. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

i have a friend who has been looking a year longer than me and we are both getting really fed up. her BF offered to rent a space for us to run a small daycare between the two of us and let me tell you i am seriously considering it..

7. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

I am so sorry on your job hunt, it is so frustrating. I think a daycare is a great idea. Reasonably priced and great teachers running it, I think you all would do good!!
    But keep trying, don't give up. I subbed for over 4 years before I got my job. It was back in 1992 and at that time there was no teacher jobs.

8. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

I am sorry you are feeling so frustrated!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2009

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time finding a job, but good luck with your new venture!

10. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

I understand your frustration. I don't see how you've lasted five years looking for a job. I've been looking for a few months, and already I'm starting to think of other career choices. Even a few months out of work is too long.

Good luck in whatever you do! The Daycare sounds like a good choice. I know around here it's hard to find one where you know you'll children will be treated right. :/

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 24, 2009

Sorry--- this really sucks. :( I would recommend that you try maybe being an education consultant. A Lady at my school has her doctorate in special education and works 3 days at my school and has her private practice. She seems to making out very well that way.

And you can't really blame the colleges--- they're just doing their jobs and they're more about the business than educating people. If people WANT to be in the educational field, who are they to turn them down?

12. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 24, 2009

I haven't spent 5 years looking for a job. I have had two teaching positions for a total of 5 years of actual classroom experience. I just find the process so frustrating and demeaning that it just is not worth it anymore. Getting tenure is so hard cause districts don't want to pay super high salaries. It is just frustrating. One of my friends just got turned down for a job because she has too much experience. She has been teaching for 3 years. How sad is that. The principal told her that she fought with the Board to get her to be hired and they said no, they wanted the new teacher because they could pay her less. Very sad!

13. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Oh yeah, and then there's that, the dreaded tenure which is almost just as hard getting as a job. v__v

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2009

Wow! how sad and frustrating. I guess I'm in a similar boat. I've taught for four years, haven't gotten tenured, was close but had a bully P who non-reelected me before I could get tenure. I'm so fed up with so many things that my passion is pretty much gone. Good luck with your business!!!

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

If your two jobs were within a 4 year period, wouldn't you have tenure? You don't need to be at the same school, just the same district for 4 consecutive years. Did you check with human resources to see how close you are to tenure?

16. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 24, 2009

I was in two different districts. So I had to start over with each one.

17. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

"Tenure" varies with many districts.

I'm sorry you're frustrated. I understand how you feel. You aren't the only one.

Please hang in there!!

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2009

Hang in there and see the post I made concerning jobs in the DFW area. Hope you have applied to these areas. ALL THE BEST!!!!!

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2009

I said this because there are jobs out there and there are new postings going up everyday. The above school districts are supposed to be difficult to get into and I believe that. But I believe that persistence and prayer will get you that all important J-O-B. You can do this!:)

20. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Jul 24, 2009

Have you applied to a variety of schools? I am sure you have, but is it possible to relocate? If that is an option, you may could look elsewhere.
    I am sorry that you are having a hard time, my heart goes out to you. I haven't graduated yet, but I feel a bitter sweet time coming. :hugs: