I'm done.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissFrizzle, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

Glad to hear it's only a mini vacation! I second Upsadaisy - we definitely do believe in you!

2. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2007

Yea, you are a great person. You will find what you're looking for when the time is right. Meanwhile, relax and things will start to happen for you.

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

You are not alone! We are all behind you 100%!!!!!

4. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

Hello,

Don't give up up! I'm in the same boat! I've just started applying, but I've been having doubts,too. I figured that I was just tired. I was wondering, if you are an alternative certification candidate, do they throw your application to the bottom of the pile until they start to panic because students are coming and no teacher? ( I know that was totally a run-on sentence.) Just do what others have said. Take a couple days break and get refreshed.

Take care, Sheri

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 16, 2007

Hang in there. Do not overlook TA positions. I love the one I have.

6. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jun 16, 2007

Gee Miss Frizzle, I'm sorry about this. You are such a great person, at least from your posts. I wish I could say something helpful, but all I can do is be sympathetic.

7. mincc

mincc Companion

Jun 16, 2007

Fratbrats,

DO NOT worry about the alternative cert. issue. I am in the same boat and have had NO negative things said by the interviewers, albeit only a handful, but they have not had a problem. (Unfortunately, teachers have made negative remarks).

As long as you fulfill the requirements and express your desire to do so, the admins are fine and you also need to relate your work and life experiences to teaching-show them why you can, what you have expereinced that suits you for the classroom. I do have good, solid experience with sped students, so that does help, but honestly, my problem is the same as Frizz's- a completely flooded job market. Also, it is all about who you know here. I know several alternative candidates who were hired, all had high connections and they are all teaching in impossible to find, saturated cert. areas. The alternative cert. was NOT an issue, their connections were.

Frizz, I know exactly what you are going through and how you feel. :)

8. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 16, 2007

Thanks Mincc,

I actually only starting applying to ISD's this week. I still have a few more applications to complete online. I did have an interview at my children's school. Unfortunately, the Principal filled most of those positions prior to the end of the school year. I think that there's a lot of opportunity in my area for jobs. I just don't really have contacts because I moved here in March. I was just concerned that employers would want to place alternative certification candidates last.
    Thanks for letting me know that some of your friends were successful! Sheri

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2007

Terri,

I'm glad you have finally found a place you enjoy!!

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2007

thank you- I appreciate it.

11. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Jun 16, 2007

I feel for you girl, take a deep breath, it will all work out. I was once in your shoes, sooooo ready to quit looking. It took me 5 years and finally a relocation to find my dream job! My prayers are with you and my fingers are crossed:)

12. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 16, 2007

Miss Frizz - I hear your pain, and I am with you there.
    Praying for your peace of mind and of the heart and wishing you every good thing! Consider this a big HUG!!

13. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 16, 2007

Miss Frizzle have you thought about nonopublic schools or preschool special education? These areas always seem to have openings. Just a thought. Try Catholic and other religious schools like Alice says.. Jewish schools hire general education teachers from outside their religion.

14. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 16, 2007

Miss Frizzle,

I hope that you are having a much better day today! I hope that you see that you have a lot of support here! Take care, Sheri

15. teacheragz

teacheragz Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

Interesting isn't it?? Teaching is supposed to be an "honored" profession. The "world" thinks are a bunch of idiots dumbing down our society. And here we are begging, borrowing, pleading, on our knees to be part of that.

I see so many teachers that are just looking to collect a check and make it to retirement but I'm not that teacher. I want to make a difference. I NEED to be part of the preparing our kids. Yet I can' get the job I want. The schools that will hire me are questionable at best. I was at a school that was 2 miles from my home. Now I am being placed at a school that is 30 miles from me.

I can't do it. I wish I could encourage you but I genuinely feel like those of us that could really make a difference in teaching have the hardest time. I know that if we stick with it we will succeed but the process is more than I bargained for....

Best of luck everyone..

16. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2007

Frizzle,
    you know how much we all appreciate your kind words, sincere advice and just the fun you bring to this forum so I am puzzled why anyone would not grab you quick and hire you for their school. I know everyone has said not to give up, but it would be a crime if the teaching profession lost you, especially here in NY state!! We need teachers like you and it would be a shame if you waisted your priceless talent @ McDonalds!!! :love: Hang in there and I am sooooooo very confident that you will post good news sooner than we all think. And as soon as you post your good news, I promise to be the first one to send you a margarita over the web!!!!:D

17. trptman

trptman Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

You said it. The teachers that really want to make a difference have the hardest time. Many reasons, but one reason is simply the way teachers are compensated.
    Think about this.
    When dealing with people, you get the kind of behavior that is rewarded.
    In teaching, unions control everything (unions have done good things for teachers but...) and how are teachers paid? based on how long you can be there. Performance does not factor. Just sticking around does. So what happens? The average teacher figures out that all they have to do is hang around and they get a paycheck that grows with how long they can manage to hang around. Thats what they do. Just what they have to, to keep getting that paycheck. When you get a driven motivated teacher that really wants to make a difference and improve things, they run into roadblock after roadblock, problem after problem from people clogging up the system just "punching the clock" and if they finally do succeed in making a real difference, there is only the "warm fuzzy feeling" of doing a good job that is supposed to reward them.
    "What, you want a raise because youre the best teacher in the building? sorry, you only get a raise by putting time in no matter how good or lousy (within reason) you do". After a while the good teacher throws in the towel and says the heck with it.
    Then to top it off, if youre unlucky like me you get caught up in budget cuts and get laid off. Now you have advanced degrees, plenty of experience that shows what a good teacher you are and you can't get a job anywhere without apparently moving to another state perhaps because every district within a 3 hour drive of you is hiring pretty much only beginning teachers they can put on the bottom of the pay scale. Thats all the matters.
    How come doctors and nurses (who I'm sure get warm fuzzy feelings from curing people of injuries or illness) expect to be paid well but teachers are supposed to be happy with just "making a difference".
    And that's not all that I see wrong with the education profession, but it's all I'm going to aimlessly ramble on about for now.

I just love the posts on this site like "Help, I've got 7 job offers how do I decide which one to take...."

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

There, that does feel better to vent a little.

Seriously if you can get a job offer or two, great, more power to you. Hope I can join you someday.

18. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

AHH so sweet! More than one of you had made it so clear to me that teaching is not what it's all cracked up to be. Teaching looks so easy to others (those that are not into education) and we all know that it's not. Sometimes I feel that I'm chasing a dream and that I'm just waiting for someone to notice me and just give me a job. Am I crazy for thinking like that?

19. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 17, 2007

Teaching IS the hardest profession in which to find a job! It is the only one I know where you do a FREE internship (student teaching)and have to sub for others or take a TA position to get in. In the corporate world...that is known as the bottom rung in which you QUICKLY climb the ladder of success after a 90 day "are you capable period" With teaching you have a 4 year "are you capable"period and then once you get to the first rung you are there until you go back to school for a master's! It is the only college degree that isn't worth "hooey" in short term. No other profession has a 2 month window for hiring every year either! SO, it is VERY easy to get fed up with the system and the hiring practices of this profession. I did! I got mad, decided to stay at home and raise kids for about 12 years. But----it kept calling to me and calling to me.....at 40 it was still calling, so I decided to give it another shot. Without going back to school, I got a TA job in a smaller school in a big district and really worked hard to go above and beyond. I also let it be known that I was LOOKING for a classroom job and wasn't there to be everyones long term TA! Well, several of the younger teachers took maternity leaves the next year, so I did LTS instead of TA'ing. I still let it be known that I wanted a REAL teaching job. Well, one of the teachers decided not to come back and I got the job! SO, my advice is to take ANYTHING that will get you inside of that building everyday to make friends and to let them know you are looking. Get to really know the principal! Iif you already work for the district, you may ask for an interview for every open position that comes up and they will usually grant it....YOU ALREADY WORK FOR THEM and have a reference from one of their PRINCIPALS! So, don't give up....just try a different route "to be noticed"! Hang in there---work hard!

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2007

patti2
    Your determination paid off. That's an inspiring ancedote for the rest of us.

21. Oldnewteach

Oldnewteach Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

I agree that it is not fair that teachers are paid so little compared to others, but just to advise, the grass is not always greener on the other side. I have been in the corporate IT world for 15 years and have been put through the ringer. I have been outsourced, brought back in house, went through a layoff, had no job for a year, worked temporary contracts, companies being sold, then outsourced again. In 15 years all I have to show for it is 2 years service with my current company but have been doing my job at the same place for 5 years. I have no seniority, get no extra vacation, and have already been told that I will never see a raise as long as I am in this same position. Oh and did I mention that I am on call 24/7 365 days a year and have to go in at a moments notice at any time of the day or night, weekends, and holidays? Not sure who is getting the fast track climbing the corporate ladder, but its not me.

I am in no way fussing at anyone, just wanted to show that maybe things aren't always what they seem. Keep your chin up and don't let them see you sweat. Confidence is the best motivator and lack of it can cause you problems. I know I have had my own struggles to deal with, but I keep coming back. We all have those tough times when we think the world is against us, but if you can get through that, regroup and realize that if the hiring managers can't see what an great teacher you are, the THEY have the problem.

22. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

Wow! I guess I do just look through my "teacher glasses" and think that the rest of the world MUST have it better. Maybe I am just too into what the media tells me(corporate world yeah...teaching for the birds)! Somehow, and I don't mean at all to sound MEAN, but it makes me feel better to know that teachers are NOT the only ones treated like this sometimes. I am very sorry for your struggles too.....maybe we should discuss the perks of teaching and highlight the positives. :)

Working with children, continuous learning, each day is different and what you make of it, you are in a position to really impact other's lives.....and my personal favorite....summers off, anyone else want to chime in? Let's all keep our chins up and be proud of who we are....hired or not hired yet....we ar teachers and we are ALL awesome awesome awesome!!!!!

23. Oldnewteach

Oldnewteach Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

That's what I'm talking about! Woohoo! Look at all the positives and ALWAYS remember why you wanted to teach in the first place. It is the KIDS that matter.

24. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Jun 18, 2007

I dunno, my old job is looking better and better! :)

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2007

yes, it is the kids that matter, unfortunately, having good intentions, knowledge, and desire, does not land you an interview or get you the job. Too much game playing

26. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Oldnewteach,
    Very inspiring words that you just said. I needed to hear that.

27. mincc

mincc Companion

Jun 19, 2007

MissFrizzle,

I could not have said that any better....you are absolutely, 100% correct.

28. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jun 19, 2007

Miss Frizzle,
    My heart goes out to you! I certainly hope that you find the perfect teaching job and all those who said you didn't have "enough teaching experience" realize what they missed out on.

I went into the job hunting process thinking I'd never get hired because of my sheer lack of experience, but I was fortunate to find a principal who didn't care! I wish you the same! :love:

I'm a firm believer that whatever is meant to be is meant to be...and I do believe you were meant to be a teacher.

PLEASE keep us updated on things!!! And don't give up!

29. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2007

Thank you FutureFLTeacher!:love:

30. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

I know how you feel also. I have been subbing for 4 years, I have 7 years experience, I have a MS clear credential and a CLAD certificate. I just completed 6 months of a long term for 1st grade and 4 months of a reorganized class of 5th graders. There was 3 teaching positions available and I didn't get asked for any of them. The superintendent is the one who hires, not the administrators. We'll hang in together and keep our hopes up.

31. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

You've made me sad. (sniffle, sniffle). Hang in there it is WAY TOO EARLY TO QUIT!!!

32. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 19, 2007

How can that be? Not even an interview? I am in a similar situation where I did 2 LTS positions this year and wasn't asked for either of 2 positions. One went to a very young girl who did a ML for 4 months, and the other will probably go to a brand new teacher. It doesn't make sense because you already know the curriculum, the teachers, and the district. Why look outside? In my case it is the Principal who does the hiring, and she (as of now) was not renewed. Will you sub again?

33. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jun 20, 2007

I really don't want to sub again. I've been financial deprived for 3 years and I decided that I must do something this year. I'm looking into 2 other districts and possibly more next week. All we can do is pray for a wonderful position in teaching. Thanks for your sincere support. It's nice to know that there are others of us out there.

34. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2007

Frizz, I just saw this thread...........I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. Wish I knew what to say to you to make you feel better! ALl I can do is send you lots of ((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))
    I KNOW you are an amazing teacher AND person! Please don't give up yet!:love: