I'm done with the profession and not sure how to make it through the rest of the year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by allaphoristic, Aug 23, 2019.

1. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Aug 23, 2019

Hi all,

I hate writing this post, but I really need some help. Most of last year, I was unhappy teaching. Despite having my husband and hobbies, I have a very hard time turning the job off mentally at the end of the day. I feel like my body runs on anxiety all school year. The actual teaching with the kids is fine, it's everything else.

I moved to a school closer to home this year. I was hoping that a reduced commute could make things better for me. I was apathetic about the job offer when I got it, so, in hindsight, I shouldn't have taken it. Now, here we are, and I'm in a somewhat toxic environment with a culture of micromanaging admin and teachers regularly working until 6:00-7:00 PM to get things done.

I'm so anxious and exhausted that I have no energy in the classroom. This is the first time I feel like burnout is affecting my actual teaching. Normally I can push through it during my time with the kids.

I'm considering resigning mid-year. I'm not going to teach after this year because it is not a sustainable career for me, so I'm not worried about them holding my contract. But how long do I give it? Part of me feels like things could get to a more manageable level after the start of the year. Do I wait and see and leave in December if the overwhelm persists? Do I stick it out through the whole year and hope therapy can see me through?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. cutieturtle07

cutieturtle07 Rookie

Aug 23, 2019

I think if it's affecting your health to point where you would need therapy, then it's time to go. Sooner than later. I wouldn't even wait until December.

I also wouldn't stay longer than 20 minutes at the end of the day. I always felt like things settled down after about 6 weeks.

That's probably the amount of time I'd give it. Take care of yourself! I hope you feel better soon!

Tired Teacher and otterpop like this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2019

Check your contract to see what kind of notice you need to give...and then get out if you can afford it. Why ruin your health?

Tired Teacher and otterpop like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 24, 2019

I'd suggest starting to look for a job now, and leaving when you have something else lined up.

Sorry to hear you got stuck in a toxic culture. Amid a teacher shortage, it's a shame schools won't do more to keep their teachers.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2019

Leave as soon as you can. Not only does continuing seem to be affecting your health, but kids deserve a teacher who is invested. And clearly you are not.

YoungTeacherGuy, bella84 and otterpop like this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Aug 24, 2019

I am sorry you are going through such a rough patch. Micromanaging makes for a toxic dump. When dealing with anxiety, I do not think some schools are a healthy place to be. I had a few yrs ( out of almost 30- I am older than I appear/ couldn't fix my bdate after I put it in wrong....) working in really bad conditions and understand the stress and depression that comes with it. I'd have quit IF I did not have kids to help support. If you can afford it and never plan to teach again for sure, I'd get out.
    Usually the kids are the part most of us love about teaching, I think. Summer is a close second. :)
    If you never plan to teach again, they can't hold you to your contract. I do not think any school district would try. Use up all of your sick leave. You could get medical leave note from a psych easily.
    I've seen teachers do it. I hope you get to feeling better. Once you've made a decision and date, it will be easier. Best of luck to you. I know how bad it can be. I think I have worked w/ the some best of and almost worst of admin over the yrs. Good luck! <3