I'm Doing a Workshop and Tour

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Nov 1, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 1, 2011

Basically I have a group of deaf adults coming to the American base here. To reduce the already taxed language barriers, it was decided I would give the presentation. I kinda made up the agenda because I'm not a history or war buff.

Introducing Myself
    4 Words for the ASL sign "Military"
    4 Branches of Service (Mission Overview and Brief Uniform Intro)
    Women in Military (Changing Roles, again brief--though I find this topic really fascinating)
    Deaf in the Military (brief history and one man's quest)
    Challenges of Military Life (including a sappy surprise reunion video)
    Supports, Benefits and Services (ie, the good stuff)
    (Lots of personal stories, what it's like moving to another country and moving around a lot, a few deaf stories, etc.)

Tour on a bus (with me as the tour guide) showing 7 historical sites. Infusing just a little bit of history I've learned since I've been here along with pointing out things on the base related to base life.

Then we will eat at Chili's for the American food experience (I know..not my favorite either). I need to go enquire about the menu, if they have a translated menu or at least some pictures. They will get a little bit of taste of what it is like when we go out in town.

I really wish I had access to some props.

At the very least I wish I had a hands-on activity of some sort. Any ideas?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 1, 2011

I think Teacher Groupie's signature quote sums up how I feel this week.

"Education isn't what you know. It's what you can do (and fake, intelligently) with what you know."