I'm creating germaphobes/mysophobiacs!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 25, 2009

H1N1 is here, I had one complete row of kids out today.

We've been talking about being as germ free as possible, Germ-Xing often during the day, cleaning door handles, light switches, desk tops, and coughing into elbows. The kids won't even put their hands on the hall walls anymore since I showed them how dirty our door handle was.

I got tickled at my kids this afternoon. I have about 25 minutes after the first bell rings before my last batch of children leave, and those sweet babies were disinfecting everything they could think of, even the legs of their chairs. They had paper towels in one hand and bottles of Germ-X in the other. They'd made up a little song about "Keeping the germs away" to the tune of "Row, row, row your boat.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2009

Wow:

"Some people might want to consider brands that do not contain alcohol. The Wall Street Journal reported on 12 August 2006 that a nurse tested positive for alcohol in her system after using a popular hand sanitizer. The victim ended up with a suspended nursing license and was forced to go to court. The highly sensitive test used in her case is based on a particular marker in alcohol that lingers in the blood for several days after consuming a drink. The marker was present after cleansing the hands with antibacterial gel containing alcohol, but other products containing alcohol can also throw the test, including mouthwash, vanilla extract and certain cold medicines."

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 25, 2009

Have you seen that demonstration you do with the flour and baking soda to show how germs can be distributed? You give each child a baggie with a couple tablespoons of flour, but one has a tablespoon of baking soda also. Then they have to go around and give one teaspoon, take one teaspoon so many times. Then you take all the baggies and put a little vinegar in them to see if it bubbles. They are all supposed to.

And there is the glitter one on their hands, which is good for youngen's.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 26, 2009

sorry... I just have to pop in and say... glitter is good for NO ONE!!! :lol:

I had never heard the baking soda idea though... I like that one!

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

Hoot, how did you show how many germs were on the door handle? I would love to do something like that with my kids!
    Our school counselor came in read them the book "I'm a Booger, Treat Me with Respect"- it was a little disgusting, but the kids have gotten a little better about sneezing/coughing into their elbows and not their hands, and there have been less nose-pickers- or at least students who will remind kids not to do it!

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 26, 2009

Thanks for the heads up czacza but, I'd had a parent email me about her concerns about the Germ-X and forwarded it to my principal. He said the district currently had no policy against it and felt the benefits far outweighed the risks especially during flu season.

Actually all I did was clean the door handles and around the handle with a white Clorex wipe and showed them the dirt on it equating the dirt to germs, it was effective though.

I love this idea, thanks so much for sharing it! I'll have to do it this week. I'd love to do the glitter one too but I'd have it in my carpet forever. LOL

8. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 26, 2009

This cracks me up. My kiddos are really getting into the whole "healthy" thing. They love cleaning everything in the afternoon!

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2009

We are using tons of germ-ex, lysol, clorox wipes, and soap as well. My kids now have to wash their hands every time we go to the rr (even if they do not use the rr). I am wiping down tables daily and lysoling our pencil cup, door handles, hall passes, and computers twice a day.

We are healthier now than we have been in the past few weeks. I had 8 out one day and 9 out the next a week or two ago. I have had two students out entire weeks (our drs have been recommending that locally for kids who have the flu).

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

As my mom always says "Glitter is a happy mess"...lol :p

11. missamie

missamie Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

My kids love this website http://www.scrubclub.org/
    It's cheesy but it works. We printed off wanted posters of "Sal Manilla" and the others.

I've always loved this short movie and my kids get a kick out of the singing germs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzH-yat-mBI

I just found this one while I was looking for the one above:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpMchY-_edY
    it really isn't educational at all just cute - it's a veggie tale silly song

We also have to be really clean due to the fact we had a severe allergy kid in our room - hopefully it'll help with the flu season as well - the last time I had an severe allergy kid I was healthy all year long;)

12. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I'm just stealing ideas, but had to say
    OMG I love that scrubclub website! Thanks for sharing!

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 27, 2009

I loved the videos!!!! Thanks for sharing.