I'm confused...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherwithlove, Oct 29, 2013.

1. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Oct 29, 2013

So at my school, I am responsible for giving grades to my students with IEP's... Even though they get pulled out for RSP services during language arts and math. The RSP teacher has told me that I am not to modify their grades on their report cards either. I am also not modify their workload in my classroom. So I have these 3 students who are pulled out for chunks of time, who are missing core instruction, which they SHOULD if they need the extra support for LD or other diagnosis, and are FAILING my class because of missing and incomplete assignments. Does this sound right? Fast forward to this week: instead of giving those students the grades they should have gotten (D/F's) I (modified their grades) and gave them C's for those two subjects. Today during a parent teacher conference, the mom of one of such students asked me, "Why isn't my child receiving modified work?" And I was tongue-tied. I told her that I was working with the RSP teacher but would need to meet with her again to develop a better workload for her daughter. I just feel like my hands are tied over this whole situation. It's bizarre!

Is this how IEP's and RSP are supposed to be?!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2013

In my district, students are NOT allowed to be pulled from core instruction time. All students must receive core English, Reading, Math, and Science. Students may receive additional minutes on top of the CORE blocks.

BUT...If the students are being pulled out during your CORE time, then you would definitely want to make sure that the work is either excused or done with the resource teacher. I would bring up this parents question to your resource teacher and maybe even ask the parent to contact this person.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 29, 2013

Question - are they saying you are responsible for grading the students pulled for LAL and Math?

Shouldn't that be the Resource teacher's job?

With regards to the parent, perhaps double check that child's IEP and make sure you aren't missing anything? Follow the IEP to the letter, don't modify unless you have a paper trail with someone telling you to do so.

5. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Oct 30, 2013

So, when are children pulled then? We don't have any extra minutes during the day, so my students would never be able to be pulled. I am curious how your school handles this issue. Thanks!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2013

This is how it is in my district as well. Students would be pulled after instruction is given or during another time. At the jr high level, they have a specific class that takes the place of an elective where they get additional instruction.

7. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Nov 2, 2013

If I have to grade students who I don't teach, I put a note in the comments section saying how I came up with the grade and that they receive their instruction in sped.