I'm confused...again!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nayelismom, Jun 17, 2008.

1. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 17, 2008

I got a call today from a school district where I attended a job fair about two weeks ago. I got one interview at the job fair and one interview this past Friday at a school. Well, the call today was from HR asking whether I had submitted my application with the district. I told her I hadn't. Then she asked if I had an application...(me) yes, I do...(her)Well, can you submit it to us? Along with your resume and any other supporting docs..(me) Umm, sure...and before I could finish my sentence, she said, "Umm, like soon, by fax..."

At that point I was confused..what's the rush. I mean, if I mail it, it'll be there in a day or I can drive it over tomorrow. And I think she noticed my confusion because she started stuttering through her words...and I mean REALLY STRUGGLING TO GET HER WORDS OUT...Um, well, you know, we gotta, you know, have an application on file, because, um, just in case, um, something comes up, you know, for consideration....

I told her that I could have it to her in an hour by fax and she said, good cuz that way Ms. So and so will look over it and call you with any questions. I asked, Ms. So and so?? She answered, yeah the Director of HR. Oh okay....:confused:

Well, I know that I signed up on some list at the job fair and put name, address, phone number but really, do they call everyone on that list to make sure they submit an application??? Or is it possible that my name was tossed over there for a job offer :D (wishful thinking) and HR said...um, no app on file????

I'm new to this...any input?

3. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 17, 2008

Hmmm, hard to say/measure. My experience was unsual or out of the norm I guess. H/R did call me but they didn't have anything on file for me since I had NO application on file. They were able to get my info because they requested it through another agency. I think it depends on the needs & what the district is going through at the time. Things are always changing in districts (so I'm learning).

The best advice I can give is to do your homework & see what the market is for your local area. Strategize & see what you can get. Timing, networking - are two huge factors that make a big difference.

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2008

One of the requirements for most of the teaching job fairs in my area (Houston) is that you have an app on file with the district beforehand -- and that may be the tradition at the district who's fair you attended.

Sounds like they need a rep with better comm skills at their job fairs.

5. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 18, 2008

I think it's a good sign because they obviously have some type of interest in you if they bothered to call.

Sidenote - maybe the person from HR really does stutter. I'm a covert stutterer (can hide it usually). But, in stressful situations, stuttering tends to come out more and it's hard to speak. This is coming from someone whose stuttering includes just like what you described (ex: you know...um...). :)

Good luck!

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2008

I don't like it. And I tell you why. This has been happening to me a lot lately. In fact, I finally put my foot down, and demanded that a school send me all my stuff back!

See, what I imagine is that they want to build a file of potential candidates, so if somebody checks on them and asks, "Do you have a Type 04 Early Childhood Teacher on staff, or a Highly Qualified NCLB Math teacher, they can say yes! Because you gave them all your personal information and it is sitting in a folder, locked in their cabinet!

If they are being audited, most people won't go as far as asking for payroll reports or timesheets, they just want to see employee files.

Or, they want to have a list of candidates they can call for future openings.

I never understood how temporary agencies can call in millions of people, test them, AND have us fill out W-4 forms, and then we sit there, and sit, and maybe never get a call. It sounds bogus to me! Somebody must be getting paid for having X amount of people on their list, to justifiy they are doing what they do.

And I don't feel good about it at all.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2008

and...I don't ever fax over my credential or college transcripts unless I have met the person first.