I'm changing schools

Discussion in 'General Education' started by msmullenjr, Jul 24, 2013.

1. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2013

I am excited but a little nervous about changing schools this year. It all happened very quickly and I'm still dealing with that. I haven't been happy at my school for about two years now and so I figured why not.

The problem is that the transfers, district wide, will not happen until after school starts. A sub will be starting my classroom at the new school, and I will have to start the year at my old school. That part is making me feel sick, I will hate to tell the kids that I'm leaving after a few weeks.

So this week I am getting BOTH classrooms ready. :woot::banghead::dizzy::woot::eek:

I'm posting the before pics for both rooms. Wish me luck.

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/msmullenjr/library/Before and Afters?sort=3&page=1

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 24, 2013

What??? Is this the way your district normally handles transfers? If that was the way my district handled transfers, I highly doubt anyone would apply for one!

I'm certain you'll make both rooms look amazing, though!

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

What is the reason that the transfer is being handled this way? Seems so crazy! Best of luck. I hope you find lots of happiness in your new setting. :)

5. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 24, 2013

Congrats on finding a building you'll be happier at! I best that transfer situation is stressful, and on top of it having to get two rooms ready! You'll get everything handled, though. We're teachers, we're resilient. ;)

Good luck!

Beth

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 24, 2013

That is one of the stranger things that I have ever heard of in teaching. How many days or weeks will you be in your old classroom before you switch?

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

What a "silly" way to handle a transfer. But, I did like the pics. Good space.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

I would be interested to hear why they do it this way. How does doing it this way improve student learning? Seems like their policy has a very negative effect on the students learning..imo.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 24, 2013

Was there a transfer deadline that you did not meet? Teachers in my district do this if they get a job after June 1st or whatever day. This is the deadline to apply for a transfer for the beginning of the year. Otherwise they have to work a few weeks and THEN transfer.

10. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

Oh that sounds horrible! IS there anyway you can meet up with the teacher that is taking your spot? Maybe they can decorate your old room and you can decorate your new room?

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2013

That is crazy! How terrible for the kiddos!

Congratulations on the transfer, though!

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2013

Apparently there is some issue with the state budget and the number of students per classroom in k-3 might change. It wouldn't affect me at all, but to be safe or fair or some other stupid reason they are holding off on all transfers. They have NEVER done this before. I was told something along the lines of, "If there was no money and class sizes went up, some schools would have more combos and they would have to lose a teacher. If that happened the position wouldn't really be available anymore." It was like a "worst case" thing, but they will likely have to hire new teachers in the district for the first time, so they want to wait until they know for sure how many so they don't have to let anyone go. Something like that.

teacherwithlove, There isn't anyone to replace me at the old school yet because technically I'm still there. The principal can't interview for a position that isn't vacant. Its soooooo stupid. It's stressing me out.

readingrules12, I have no idea how long I will be in limbo. :(

I decided to take most of the big stuff now because I thought it will be hard enough for the kids when I leave, if half the room goes with me it will be worse.

13. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

Something doesn't sound right... I thought since prop 30 passed, districts would receive the same amount of funds or more depending on SES? It sounds like they are trying to cut corners in the wrong places and are dragging you and others through the mud. :/

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2013

I'm pretty irritated by it. From what I heard, they want to reduce class sizes in k-3 but they need to know by how much based on the money that will be coming in. It will probably mean adding a few teachers. It is awful for the students and the teachers, but higher ups don't think that way. My friend is the assistant superintendent and he just asked me to be patient. It's hard.

My friend will be the sub that starts my class, she has about 15 years of experience as a classroom teacher, and she's amazing so I think my class will start off organized and happy. I just wish they were starting with me.

15. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 24, 2013

What a terrible district. It goes against all conventional wisdom and common sense. If I were you, I'd be more worried about your new school. Not being there to establish your own rules and environment for the first few weeks is going to SUCK.

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 25, 2013

Luckily the friend that is starting knows exactly how I want it to start, but even then it won't be the same. There are two positions at the old school that need to be filled besides mine (one teacher retired and one moved to Oregon) and they are starting with subs as well. I think its quite a few classrooms district wide. Something this stupid has never happened before, we are all thrown for a loop. I feel lucky enough to have the sub that I have, so I'm trying to focus on the positive. That takes a lot of focus. LOL

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 25, 2013

Wow! That is by far the strangest thing I have heard of. Congrats on the new position and good luck starting the year with 2 classrooms!

18. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 26, 2013

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2013

What a CRAZY situation. Off to look at the pictures!